BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering how many miles you have on your car and if you notice a slight whine noise when accelerating coming from transmission?
Shop manager says normal from car with 50,000 miles and all m5 and even 540is have same slight whine.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ah, just found the post...

No whine. (perhaps a cabernet, though?)

36k miles.

I am sure you will hear comments to the effect that many SAs use the "they all do that" excuse when they don't want to get into a mess with warranty claims and BMWNA hassles...

E39Mfive is dealing with a whine if I recall.... a few others have as well.

road speed or engine speed related? Only under acceleration? I only ask as I know these are important discriminators for tranny versus diff.

If you are still in warranty you MUST get this complaint, with as much possible detail, writtten up on a work order. Just talking to the SA who dissuades you from proceding will do no good if there is a future failure. Even if they write it up, and reply "no problem found, normal for car" it might be important

My 3 cents

A

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tony102385 said:
Hey I was just wondering how many miles you have on your car and if you notice a slight whine noise when accelerating coming from transmission?
Shop manager says normal from car with 50,000 miles and all m5 and even 540is have same slight whine.
My 2000 M5 with 45K miles also had a whine but it was coming from the differential. Just had it replaced under CPO and now everything is fine.

I have another problem however that BMW service is saying is normal. I have a "lifter clicking" noise at idle that just doesn't sound right. BMW service says that many M5's have this noise and that it's normal.
Is it normal???

Thanks
-jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts