BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to notice a whining/whirring noise coming from the engine which is transmission-related (i.e. varies with engine speed but only when in gear). It's more noticeable in 1st and 2nd because less road/wind noise. Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
There's a service bulletin relating to this issue. I noticed this whine on my '01 Beast and my tranny was replaced under warranty. I asked my SA what the issue was and he said BMW was just changing the tranny if a customer notices the whine. Maybe software related.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've had the same issue ever since Inspection I. My whine occurs between 1500 and 2500 rpms. Several dealers have been stumped. Oddly it comes and goes. I've not been able to figure out why when it's worst.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have exactly the same issue - started at about 34K miles and mostly around 1500 to 2200 rpm in 1-2 gears. My car is a 02 and this has me really concerned, since it's random when it happens and the dealers "stated" they never heard the noise on test drives. I was thinking it was the rearend but under further examination it appears the sound is coming from the tunnel....

Anyone have any advice...? What do you tell the dealer if you want/need the trans replaced.

-Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts