BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a noisy gearbox and was considering a new one from BMW @ just under £2k with VAT and OC discount - not too bad. Problem is things could (probably would) spiral eg new clutch, flywheel etc and I could do with saving money for other beast-related issues.

I've been searching for about 6 weeks, and either the response was a disappointing "can't get the parts", glib "bearings mate" or worse. Garages either won't touch the box or don't seem to appreciate that this isn't as common as other BM bits.

The company I've chosen is called Midlands Transmission Services, and I know they're right because

1) they are petrolheads - they showed me all the work they've been doing on E-types, DB4's (David Brown box, not ZF), and the like. They provide for cars in Europe as well.:M5rev:

2) they then showed me photos of various shafts, bearings and races they've rebuilt or machined themselves if the OE part is no longer available. They have liquid nitrogen and can do interference fits requiring this.

3) they say they can source and rebuild a Getrag 280 if mine is a mess when they open it.

4) they order parts direct from SKF etc using the numbers stamped on the parts, OE quality without OE markup.:cheers:

5) finally, when it was agreed I'm taking the car in next Tuesday we chatted for half an hour more about cars. I can trust the M5 to people like that.

I should wait until the work is done before crowing about them, but was so excited I had to post the info now:typing:. I'll update on the result.

Company is based in Stourbridge, 01384 424823, [email protected]

Cheers, Anwar

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Yes , best of luck with it all ........

Let us know how you get on !

D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much guys, car goes in tomorrow :biggrinbounce:.

Have given contact details for these guys to Noel Butler of NCB and will be reporting back to him.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately it's not just bearings, but "a gear" and the input shaft are pitted. Awaiting the full scale of the damage.... :eek:oohhh:

Will try and have a look myself on Monday if my night on-call's not been too horrendous...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts