BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Can anyone recommend an honest and reliable shop that is familiar with a 2000 M5? I have a locked up transmission that needs some TLC. It started whining several weeks ago, sounded like a supercharger. Everyone I consulted said I had tons of time before it would pack it in. Well, they were wrong so I don't want to go back to them and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

simon

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
These transmissions can't be rebuilt. They need to be re-manufactured by it's original maker. Look for a good used one. If you can't find an M5 one then you can use a 540 tranny but there is a mod that has to be made so it works in the M5. The mod is not that difficult but it will add cost.

·
Registered
994 Posts
check out Dave Wilkes transmission in Ventura
Not to sounds like Debby Downer, but there is nothing Dave Wilkes can do. Honestly. I've read through every transmission failure thread on this board and there is nothing that can be done to fix/repair broken transmissions. I'm trying to save the guy money having someone look at it.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
What is a "re-manufactured" transmission? What gets changed, updated, renewed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
bimmerule
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing