BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
thank you for the feedback, I should get the car to my BMW mechanic at the start of the year as with Christmas around the corner no work will be done. I will update my progress and error codes so it may help others determine these issues,
I will try pumping the brake and let you know if that helps, the temp in the mornings has dropped to -5 Celcius already so it could be just the fluid issue, I will try and get this flushed and filled with new next week.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Nice info Jim..

i had no idea the brake pedal had any connection or effect on the clutch valve and release bearing?
Discovered by accident...

I was receiving a random 4FA0 while sitting in a parking space in 'N' for about 10 minutes stuck on a phone call. I touched the brake pedal and got a red cog having touched absolutely nothing else in the car. I pulled out my MacBook and fired up INPA and monitored the PLCD while touching the brake pedal. Any time the pedal is pressed, the clutch is disengaged in preparation for an expected gear change.

I decided to use this to my advantage and put a little heat into the fluid in the mornings when it's really cold. That and a few R-1-2-1-R shifts to loosen the joints on the old girl until ready to drive off. This usually improved drive off smoothness for the first shifts of the day until up to temp. Now, with a new CRB and guide bushing, I don't have any of that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
Discovered by accident...

I was receiving a random 4FA0 while sitting in a parking space in 'N' for about 10 minutes stuck on a phone call. I touched the brake pedal and got a red cog having touched absolutely nothing else in the car. I pulled out my MacBook and fired up INPA and monitored the PLCD while touching the brake pedal. Any time the pedal is pressed, the clutch is disengaged in preparation for an expected gear change.

I decided to use this to my advantage and put a little heat into the fluid in the mornings when it's really cold. That and a few R-1-2-1-R shifts to loosen the joints on the old girl until ready to drive off. This usually improved drive off smoothness for the first shifts of the day until up to temp. Now, with a new CRB and guide bushing, I don't have any of that.

Hello PROFESSOR, :M5thumbs:

I have been there.
Nine out of ten times, it is the clutch bearing. We have addressed this problem multiple times at the dealership, during the last seven years,
and almost always the bearing failed.

Note : For some peculiar reason, BMW denied to sell only the bearing and sold only the whole clutch assembly.

Best,

George:cheers:

·
Registered
787 Posts
SMG hyd pump relay and SMG oil pump relay part numbers for our M6 so I too can order them and replace them as preventive maintenance?

Does anyone have the Amp numbers on these pumps? If they do indeed pull a lot of amps and the relays are arching themselves to Death, maybe a Thyristor alternative might be in order? At least if SMG pumps and tranmission failures can be traced back to these parts.

Regards
Carl

·
Registered
63 Posts
I kept getting the red cog trans malfunction error twice a day now so my car is with BMW at the moment, looks like it will be the clutch that needs replacing...

they suggest replacing the dual mass flywheel at the same time but its very $$$$...

CAN I JUST REPLACE THE CLUTCH AND LEAVE THE OLD FLYWHEEL IN THERE IF ITS STILL IN GOOD CONDITION?

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
I kept getting the red cog trans malfunction error twice a day now so my car is with BMW at the moment, looks like it will be the clutch that needs replacing...

they suggest replacing the dual mass flywheel at the same time but its very $$$$...

CAN I JUST REPLACE THE CLUTCH AND LEAVE THE OLD FLYWHEEL IN THERE IF ITS STILL IN GOOD CONDITION?

The correct procedure is to change the flywheel too.

George

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The correct procedure is to change the flywheel too.

George
I agree with George, if the flywheel shows any signs of wear, hotspots, etc, it can not be remachined (economically) and must be replaced. Having said that, if the surface is clean and has no sign of wear, reuse would be acceptable. Perhaps not recommended by BMW, but TIS doesn't specifically require it if my memory serves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
thanks, and yes I agree that it should be replaced at the same time but from an economical budget perspective I wanted to know how long it will last by changing only the clutch and leaving the flywheel in there for a year or two (if it will last)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really need your help. I have gone through every thread I could find online. I have had my clutch position sensor changed as well as my clutch, flywheel, clutch fork, pivot pin, throw out bearing, guide bushing. The Indy that did the repair relearned the clutch and transmission. The car drove fine for a day then I lost 6th gear. I brought it back in and he tried relearning the clutch and transmission. The car now shifts into every gear but the red cog will not go away and it reads "Transmission! Perform Adaptation." He was getting an error in the process of relearning, when the program shifts through all the gears. It would go through all the gears fine but at the end would give an error 42. "Unable to engage gear." I brought it to the dealer to see of they can do anything and they want to change the steering angle sensor for $1100. I don't know how this could have anything to do with my problem. Can you please help? Any ideas? Have you seen this before? The car is a 2006 SMG M5.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really don't see how the steering angle has anything to do with this but who knows.

After having my entire clutch, flywheel done i found the cause for premature wear, turned out to be the clutch bearing that snapped along the way and caused damage to the flywheel and clutch. Luckily my warranty covered half the bill as this was classed as a mechanical breakdown.

There is one more sensor you should check, i believe it is the flywheel speed monitoring sensor, this could be something to consider, as you mentioned that the clutch position sensor has already been replaced...

·
Registered
63 Posts
After having everything repaired on my car i got at least 3 yellow transmission faults in one day, after running a diagnostic it appears that the above mentioned sensor simply failed to send a signal for a second or so and that threw the entire ecu bonkers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quick note on the steering angle sensor, if your traction control isn't working than this is something that will cause issues, but i still cannot understand what it has to do with your current problem

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I really need your help. I have gone through every thread I could find online. I have had my clutch position sensor changed as well as my clutch, flywheel, clutch fork, pivot pin, throw out bearing, guide bushing. The Indy that did the repair relearned the clutch and transmission. The car drove fine for a day then I lost 6th gear. I brought it back in and he tried relearning the clutch and transmission. The car now shifts into every gear but the red cog will not go away and it reads "Transmission! Perform Adaptation." He was getting an error in the process of relearning, when the program shifts through all the gears. It would go through all the gears fine but at the end would give an error 42. "Unable to engage gear." I brought it to the dealer to see of they can do anything and they want to change the steering angle sensor for $1100. I don't know how this could have anything to do with my problem. Can you please help? Any ideas? Have you seen this before? The car is a 2006 SMG M5.
I see you didn't mention the slave cylinder. I replaced mine when I did my own clutch because these have been known to cause adaption errors and they can also blow the front seal and soak the clutch with oil. The PLCD and slave cylinder can cause the adaption problem. PLCD can be done with the tranny mounted on the car but I see you changed that. The tranny has to come off to change the slave cylinder so that's why I did mine while it was on the floor even though mine was OK. I zeroed out every part in the bell housing while it was out. Over on the M5 board there is an easy DIY steering angle sensor cleaning that works about 100% of the time in removing the steering error if you have one.

The smg does look at steering angle as I had to reset mine with ISTA before I reprogramed the smg.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Missed this, but the steering angle sensor absolutely won't fix this problem. SAS is completely bypassed for the adaptation procedure, so an adaptation failure has nothing to do with it. It is possible a shift rod is binding or the shift travel valve for gears 6 is defective. Safest bet would be to pop the hydraulic block of the transmission and visually inspect for broken shift rod guides in the transmission casing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jcolley,
I'm so glad you responded. Do you think this could still be a problem when the car drives and shifts smoothly? We can not get the transmission to adapt. We are getting the following codes:

D35D No message LDM (0x419) receiver DSC, transmitter LDM
D357 No Message (transmission, 0x 186) receiver DSC, transmitter EGS/SMG
4F66 SMG: Learning not run (gearbox, longitudinal acceleration sensor)

We are thinking it may be the LDM that is the problem. What are your thoughts? The car doesn't let the clutch out as smooth as it should but does shift through 1-7 without error and into reverse with no problem.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Jcolley,

I'm so glad you responded. Do you think this could still be a problem when the car drives and shifts smoothly? We can not get the transmission to adapt. We are getting the following codes:

D35D No message LDM (0x419) receiver DSC, transmitter LDM

D357 No Message (transmission, 0x 186) receiver DSC, transmitter EGS/SMG

4F66 SMG: Learning not run (gearbox, longitudinal acceleration sensor)

We are thinking it may be the LDM that is the problem. What are your thoughts? The car doesn't let the clutch out as smooth as it should but does shift through 1-7 without error and into reverse with no problem.
Clutch let out is somewhat softened by accurate measurement of velocity, something the SMG module can't do if the longitudinal sensor isn't properly calibrated (adapted) which it yours isn't. Have they specifically tried to teach in the long. sensor? It is a separate function from the other adaptations.

On the CAN errors, only one of those two faults is related to the LDM, but both are common to the DSC. I believe Troy had some almost identical errors on one of his cars and they were resolved by replacing the DSC pump, but he can answer that better than I.

Try and adapt the long. sensor and once that's fixed go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We already adapted the LDM many times. It adapts without faults. But we don't know where to go from here. We tried resetting and an adapting it under the transmission category and we did it while relearning the clutch.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I tried at least 5 times to reply earlier from the stupid mobile app and it crashed every time this thread was opened. Garbage.

I'm not sure I follow. LDM is the Active Cruise Control module. It communicates with the DSC module via the CAN bus. Are you saying you performed adaptation on the LDM Module or the longitudinal sensor?

The longitudinal sensor is just an accelerometer module directly connected to the SMG module (not over CAN).

If you have performed the teach-in on the longitudinal sensor and it doesn't "stick" in memory, there's definitely a problem there. The car must be on the ground and perfectly level for this to properly adapt.

What software is the shop using? We're not dealing with AutoLogic and an SMG by chance are we?

201 - 220 of 227 Posts