BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out driving and enjoying the beautiful sunny day here in Seattle then Gong, yellow warning message "Transmission Malfunction", "drive moderately, service asap...."

So I kept on driving, then gong - red message"Transmission Malfunction", crap, this time the message stayed on so I started heading towards Bellevue BMW. Downshift, nothing, then bam, downshift gear engaged about 8 seconds later. Worried now engine will quit sometime soon right in the middle of highway.......

I made it to the dealership, parked the beast, wrote up a drop off ticket for service request ASAP tomorrow.

Will keep you all posted. I already miss my beast.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you are having. I really hope it is resolved and I'm glad that you have the CPO warranty to back up the beast. Mine was in the shop for 3 days last week but luckily, I was out of town so wasn't really impacted. Please keep us posted and I wish you the best!!

Best Regards,
Milton

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
Not good sign that went from yellow to red and stayed on. Besides electronics, there is certainly a mechanical problem here. I suspect SMG pump pressure loss, either due to the pump itself or some solenoid
losing pressure and pump oil level and pressure dropping suddenly.
I think Alan's guess is not correct. Faulty sensors give intermitent problems and not of such severity. I think you are in trouble my friend Dan. Not money wise since you are covered, but certainly you will miss
your beast.

George

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello my friends, thank you for all the kind posts.

Luckily my car is a CPO & I am still under warranty until Sept 2012. Whew!

By the way, the fault message was not constant on. It was intermittent on and off as I was driving.

When I was at the dealership, I let the car sit for 5 minutes, she started right up with no fault message so I shut it down.

After I wrote up the service request paper work, I started the car again and the Transmission Malfunction message popped up again.....

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
You know, I almost hope it is a mechanical problem if you can get it fixed under warranty. A co-worker of mine has a 2007 M5 and his clutch/transmission went out last year - just before his new car warranty ended. So he got a new clutch, etc. for nothing. Otherwise it would have been about $4K. The throwout bearing went out and that made it eat other stuff.

Now he is set for a while. I hope similar good luck finds you Dan.

Keep us posted.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You are absolutely correct. I will take anything for free.

Thanks Mark!

By the way Mark, I like what you have inside your garage (cold beer!)

I've got some cold beer too in my garage fridge waiting for you. Come visit!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I'd like to Dan. But I will be lucky to sneak off island in late summer. Meet you in Louisiana perhaps? Milton must have some cold beer somewhere I'd think.

Welcome to the Moderator ranks. I'm glad they took my suggestion and very glad that you accepted.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, will try and meet up with you and our gang in Louisiana sometime this summer.

Vickie and are taking a 10 day vacation to Cabo San Lucas first month of June this year. Take your wife and come join us!

BTW, thanks for the recommendations. I am very busy with work and at home but I will try and help out and maintain our culture whenever I am here.

I'd like to Dan. But I will be lucky to sneak off island in late summer. Meet you in Louisiana perhaps? Milton must have some cold beer somewhere I'd think.

Welcome to the Moderator ranks. I'm glad they took my suggestion and very glad that you accepted.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm so glad you're still under warranty, Dan!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry to hear about the malfunction

How many miles does your car have and have you had any prior issues?

Congrats on moderator status!

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2006 M6 now has 29,770 miles. I purchased it from Center BMW of Sherman Oakes, California in 2008 with only 7,000 miles.

My car has been 100% reliable since the day I owned it except for 1 limp home mode 1 month after I got the car which was fixed by a software update from the dealership.

Thanks for the kind words and support and welcome to our board.

Sorry to hear about the malfunction

How many miles does your car have and have you had any prior issues?

Congrats on moderator status!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Good luck Dan, hopefully it is just the sensor. This board is great for support as I have to admit that I am usually at the mercy of the mechanic.

Josh

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm hoping it's the SMG pump relay. They burn out due to heavy cycling and leave you walking. A 10.00 relay that I change when I do sparkplugs. I keep a spare in the garage. One theory is they start to go bad and deliver "dirty" power to the smg pump and it then burns out. You won't know it until you now have to buy a pump. I have seen many pics of burned out relays on this board. Also while in the relay box I change the salmon colored SMG trans fluid pump relay. That runs the oil through the cooler. When you get it back, change that relay. It's cheap and may save you.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
At only 29k miles i'd really hope its just a sensor. Ive never heard of a tranny going bad at such low mileage.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
At only 29k miles i'd really hope its just a sensor. Ive never heard of a tranny going bad at such low mileage.
You should talk to Moderator Ashok Arora. Do a search in the E60 forum - and be prepared to cry.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm with Mark- hopefully you get some new hardware out of it while you're still under warranty. My CPO warranty (and extended service) expires in November. I'm hopping to my brakes replaced before then- that's the main reason I dropped over $3k for the extended service!

1 - 20 of 227 Posts