BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 2007 M5, 65k miles, is throwing the Transmission Malfunction warnings (Yellow COGs and once a Red COG) while I am driving. Everything feels and sounds fine (no thuds and no obvious slips) but I do soil myself when they pop up and fear a big $$$$$ issue. My indy shop replace a relay about a week ago but the warnings came back on the first real trip.

Here are the codes they gave me
004F40
004F43
004FA0
00520A

After the warnings appear, I can simply slow down a bit and resume normal driving without issues. I can even get back into M-mode S5. Paddle shifting and D-mode seem to work just fine. I have performed a clutch reset and the warnings still pop up about once per trip.

I was wondering if this could simply be a PLCD issue.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is exactly what was happening with me to found out later that my SMG ECU is GONE! and i replaced it.

might be : SMG pump Relay.
might be : lack of oil in the SMG pump.
might be : PLCD
might be : CLUTCH
might be : ADAPTATION ISSUE
might be : SMG ECU ISSUE
might be : ALTERNATOR OR BATTERY ISSUE ( electricity)

there's alot of causes of this transmission ****ty warning that is happening with all of us.

though i changed the ECU and it appeared 2 times for me , first time was while drifting on water i don't know if its because of the wheel spinning on water or something ... buh!

·
2,149 Posts
How old is your battery? Start by checking the hydraulic fluid level for the smg.. Also try to find someone with inpa or DIS local or a bmw specific shop who can do a full 3 step adaption for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My indy shop replace a relay about a week ago but the warnings came back on the first real trip.

I suggest taking it to the dealer, pay the inspection fee and have your service advisor pull the codes for you. When I was getting the same codes as you, my alternator was shut and then the battery. Also, I replaced my clutch at 50k and its all fine now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a quick update....

The battery is new and holds 12.2 volts event after a week of sitting. (So I don't think it is a voltage issue)

Had not driven it in a week and chose to drive my daughter to dance class this evening and the beast ended up having to be towed. Transmission Malfunction Red Cog and would not shift out of first after coasting to a parking spot. (Now I am thinking of an SMG Pump)

After several cycles of on/off it still won't release out of 1st.

Appointment set for next Monday at my Indy. Not sure he is the best SMG guy but I am not aware of a better place in Sacramento. I will request a 3 step adaption.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a quick update....

The battery is new and holds 12.2 volts event after a week of sitting. (So I don't think it is a voltage issue)

Had not driven it in a week and chose to drive my daughter to dance class this evening and the beast ended up having to be towed. Transmission Malfunction Red Cog and would not shift out of first after coasting to a parking spot. (Now I am thinking of an SMG Pump)

After several cycles of on/off it still won't release out of 1st.

Appointment set for next Monday at my Indy. Not sure he is the best SMG guy but I am not aware of a better place in Sacramento. I will request a 3 step adaption.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
SMG Pump motor most likely. Make sure the SIB for replacing it is followed exactly or the pump itself will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same happened to mine although no red cog. Changed smg hydraulic unit.
Gone. :D
The Old unit is priming so often and longer. Not holding pressure.

First accumulator was changed, no luck.

Then voila new unit:d

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Sounds very much like my symptoms just before the pump went out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got the same symptoms as you did a few months and got all those codes you mention. i changed the SMG pump relay and the codes still came back. after trying many resets i changed the SMG pump and the problem went away. so i would suggest you look into that pump. Have your indy shop check your pressure levels. I spend 1000 dollars including labor for this repair. Good luck and if you have any question i will be glad to help out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts