BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I described to my wife, not a matter of if, but when. My MY2006 was towed to the shop due to a red cog transmission malfunction and a car that wouldn't move. Well, technically it would move after the revs went to 3k and the clutch suddenly engages. Here are the symptoms:

1. Red Transmission Malfunction Error on screen
2. Gear selection flashes on information center
3. From a dead stop, car won't move until revs rise to 3k and then clutch dumps
4. IF I can get it moving, each gear takes 5 seconds to engage during shift

Clutch was replaced less than 10k miles ago, so I don't think that is a problem. Leaning towards the SMG pump. Anyone have a thought?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Needs new transmission, new clutch and most importantly new software.

·
Banned
194 Posts
As I described to my wife, not a matter of if, but when. My MY2006 was towed to the shop due to a red cog transmission malfunction and a car that wouldn't move. Well, technically it would move after the revs went to 3k and the clutch suddenly engages. Here are the symptoms:

1. Red Transmission Malfunction Error on screen
2. Gear selection flashes on information center
3. From a dead stop, car won't move until revs rise to 3k and then clutch dumps
4. IF I can get it moving, each gear takes 5 seconds to engage during shift

Clutch was replaced less than 10k miles ago, so I don't think that is a problem. Leaning towards the SMG pump. Anyone have a thought?
do you hear the pump prime

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
clutch position sensor :confused2

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was told they have to pull the transmission to diagnose it properly. Throwing cloth position sensor and clutch wear sensor codes, amongst others. Signs point to clutch failure, but it could be because the clutch position sensor failed causing the clutch to wear. I think at this point, nobody really knows for sure. The codes point to something bad. Could that be software only and nothing is truly wrong? Obviously trying to save as much money as possible. If it needs entire new clutch kit, where can I get an oem the cheapest or is there a better aftermarket kit?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has an extended warranty. Since it has the other codes too, they want the transmission dropped and evaluated for damage. I'm sure they are trying to say the CPS failed because of the clutch. If the clutch is bad and caused the CPS to fail, nothing is covered. It will be a fight. Trying to come out of this only having to pay a deductible. Anyone have any ideas of how I should approach it? Repair shop says drop the trans at my cost. If the clutch is bad as a result of the CPS failing, it should be cause and effect and should be covered. If they drop it and clutch is fine, then obviously CPS. Meaning I'd have the 1300 in labor plus my deductible to cover. I honestly don't know what to think.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
how can the clutch cause the clutch position sensor to fail? Doesnt make sense at all....

me thinks u need to find another shop, they are try to hose u.

·
Registered
735 Posts
dannboss - update for us?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts