BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, as I parked at the grocery store and was ready to turn off the car, I hear the dreaded chime. Error message "Transmission Malfunction, Reduced Power" appears. I killed the engine, restarted and the error cleared. The car drove home perfectly normal. I took it to my indy the next morning to have it scanned (Autel scanner). Unfortunately the code did not store and he couldn't find anything on the scanner. I drove the next few months error free, however last week the same thing happened. After restarting, the error went away without returning since. The car drives and shifts normally.

Any suggestions what this could be, since my indy is unable to pull any codes on the scanner?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never had any work done on the clutch/flywheel. I have 43k on the clock.
flacoramos - They've always been able to pull codes, just not this one. For some reason it's not storing. According to the indy, he's using the best scanning software available, same that the dealer uses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your issues sound similar to mine before my clutch slave cylinder blew its guts all throughout the bell housing. I was ignorant enough to not take it to the shop because when I shut the car off and started it back up everything was good. With this car it could be s myriad of things. I just want to share my experience as a place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your issues sound similar to mine before my clutch slave cylinder blew its guts all throughout the bell housing. I was ignorant enough to not take it to the shop because when I shut the car off and started it back up everything was good. With this car it could be s myriad of things. I just want to share my experience as a place to start.

Darn...I hope it isn't anything like that. I think I'll take it to the dealer and let them scan it, maybe they can pull the code with their scanner.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found the part, it's under $300. Not sure what labor would run but if it is the slave cylinder I'm glad the part isn't too expensive. How long did your car run after you got the error code, turned the car back on until it blew?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just found the part, it's under $300. Not sure what labor would run but if it is the slave cylinder I'm glad the part isn't too expensive. How long did your car run after you got the error code, turned the car back on until it blew?

I don’t quite remember. It was happening the odd morning at first start. Then I had a few while leaving work. The whole ordeal lasted about 7 months. I drive my car very aggressively though, no babying so that could have expedited things. Were you able to get it scanned?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is what caused my intermittent transmission failure message on mine. The intermediate piece on the SMG electric motor got rounded off. Im guessing it would randomly make contact and turn the pump to prime it and then break loose and spin freely again until it completely rounded off. My motor was still functional, just cant spin a shaft with a round peg in a round hole...
Cheapest SMG motor ($380) is here: https://mlreng.com/collections/bmw-m5-m6-smgiii
Can you hear the pump priming when you unlock the car?
IMG_20190916_165837_804.jpg
20190915_201225.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hmm, interesting that MLR site you referenced has a position sensor repair harness. Anyone bought this? Just wonder about the quality, cause if it works, could save a lot of troubles.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hmm, interesting that MLR site you referenced has a position sensor repair harness. Anyone bought this? Just wonder about the quality, cause if it works, could save a lot of troubles.
I looked at the pictures for it a while ago and you're required to cut and splice every wire. You still have to worry about the insulation on the sensor side of the wire. Not sure how useful such a kit is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts