BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've driven my car for about 2 months now, put about 1500 miles so far. Car has 49,000 miles on the clock. Earlier while driving it i put it in M mode and got on it. After downshifting the "red cog" display came on saying Transmission malfunction, i got so scared. It went to neutral and into drive mode. After that i've been driving it and the light is not on anymore?? What should i do? Is is clutch slip? Im afraid to floor it now.....

·
2,149 Posts
i've driven my car for about 2 months now, put about 1500 miles so far. Car has 49,000 miles on the clock. Earlier while driving it i put it in M mode and got on it. After downshifting the "red cog" display came on saying Transmission malfunction, i got so scared. It went to neutral and into drive mode. After that i've been driving it and the light is not on anymore?? What should i do? Is is clutch slip? Im afraid to floor it now.....
Read the codes.. That should give some indication of what is going wrong.. The codes will be stored..

·
2,149 Posts
Where do i find the codes? i went to the Idrive and it says everything is fine. It only displayed that message for a few seconds.
Have to get it scanned.. Go to a performance shop or a mechanic shop, they will plug in the code reader in the OBD port and it will show them the codes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to have it scanned Monday. Its driving good and everything now, it only displayed that for a few seconds. Have you or anyone ever had that experience? There are no check engine lights, or nothing on the idrive. I'm just afraid to drive it hard now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen. Scared the bejeezus out of me. Then nothing for a month, and suddenly I started getting random failures from everything.

Turns out it was an early sign my alternator was dying. (Voltage regulator really). It *could* still be a transmission error, but have them check your battery and alternator voltages to ensure there is no spiking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the exact same thing happen. Scared the bejeezus out of me. Then nothing for a month, and suddenly I started getting random failures from everything.

Turns out it was an early sign my alternator was dying. (Voltage regulator really). It *could* still be a transmission error, but have them check your battery and alternator voltages to ensure there is no spiking.
Thanks man. It freaked me out as well, i was in the middle of traffic too and it went straight to neutral but then drove fine. I will come back with more info once i get it checked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts