BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy driving on Sunday, nothing out of the ordinary or in M mode. Transmission fault comes up then goes away in about 30sec. Two minutes later, it comes on again but stays on for about 20min. In this time, i was doing nonstop driving. Finally turned the car off then 2hrs later turned it back on and was clear of any faults and hasn't come on since. Immediately following, Monday morning i take my car to my service dealer and they say that since the transmission fault indicator is not active that they could not check the system or do anything about it. They then advised me that the next time it comes on, to drive directly to them and have it checked out when fault is actively thrown.

This just sounds absurd to me. Is this true? Is it really not possible for them to check the system if the code thrown isn't currently present?

Here is a picture of what came up, im sure you've all seen this before...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some additional info...I recently had my clutch replaced last September.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I had the DSC fault come up on mine and by the time I had it towed to the dealership the message had gone but the actual codes where in the system so I am not sure why they can not pull yours too. Does not add up in my book.

BTW love the coilovers :cheers:

·
Registered
353 Posts
It must have thrown a code and remembers it. Hell, BMWs have been like that for 20 years. Why they didn't want to plug it in and check is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the DSC fault come up on mine and by the time I had it towed to the dealership the message had gone but the actual codes where in the system so I am not sure why they can not pull yours too. Does not add up in my book.

BTW love the coilovers :cheers:
ahh very good to hear!

Did they even attempt to read the code, or they just said that by visual inspection?
nope. they didnt even walk 20ft. to go outside and look at my car.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The car stores fault codes. I had an issue w/ a SES light that came on, drove with it for 3hours the day before, then the next day drove it to the dealership with it on. As I park in the service tunnel and shut her off, when I go to get the SA to do the walk-around w/ him, as he turns on the car, the light is extinguished.

I almost shiit.

I had to be firm, and reminded him that just about a year ago I had this problem fixed here, and now its back.

They scanned it, found the stored fault and CPO.

Good tip: Try to become reallly realllly good friends with your adviser, even if he pronounces and spells your name wrong every. single. time.

You will get ahead! :cool2:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Good tip: Try to become reallly realllly good friends with your adviser, even if he pronounces and spells your name wrong every. single. time.

You will get ahead! :cool2:
+1 I was just introduced to a very good one and it's night and day. Get to know them and the experience is definitely (and expectedly) better. Also if you don't have a good one, try going for another. Seems like every dealership has the one or two really cool SAs and the one or two real a$$holes :)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
take it back and have the check for fault codes....car should store them in its memory

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Take it to BMW of Houston North and let Billy look at it.
I have had years of good relationship with their service department specially with Billy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem on mine about 2 weeks ago. Does the car drive funny? When I would hit 3500RPM, it would jump up to 4500RPM then quickly drop down to 3500RPM...took it to Advantage BMW Midtown....and they replaced the transmission control module...but that didn't fix it....took it back in and they ended up changing the clutch and that fixed it...

Either way for some reason it does not register that error message, but I took pictures of it and showed it to my SA. If they give you heat talk to the manager in service. Hope this helps...good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.