BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it happened on the way home on tue, driving then suddenly warning light on dashboard transmission failure ! car would not go into gear
after stopping ,it was taken to dealers on a low loader they called today to say it looks like a clutch problem so here's hopeing its the flywheel then it would be covered under warranty
ps its an E60 M5 41000miles anyone had this problem and what was the outcome
wetbell

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an 05 ,41000 mls got word today clutch failure went in to have a look ,no sign of worn plate ,flywheel,pressureplate
one of the plates is in bits shattered ,told em i wasnt happy with their decission n contactacted BMW UK who told me to ask for
a goodwill form to be sent from the dealer , if not its going to cost me £2585.74 ouch
wetbell

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Its an 05 ,41000 mls got word today clutch failure went in to have a look ,no sign of worn plate ,flywheel,pressureplate
one of the plates is in bits shattered ,told em i wasnt happy with their decission n contactacted BMW UK who told me to ask for
a goodwill form to be sent from the dealer , if not its going to cost me £2585.74 ouch
wetbell
If BMW decides not to goodwill the clutch. I would have the car towed to an independent shop to repair it. Should be much cheaper than $2500

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alin10123 Ive been told the clutch alone cost's £1500 so the rest is labour ,prob too much hassle wheighting up tow truck price etc

·
Registered
153 Posts
The clutch itself costs circa £550 to £600 depending on your supplier. The flywheel is the pricey part at circa £850 to £1000. Try bmminiparts.com. Thats where i buy my bits. The clutch / fly replacment only takes 4.5 hours to do so the labour charge is actually the cheap bit.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My 06 had the clutch and flywheel replaced at 33k miles under warranty (goodwill)
My 08 had the clutch and flywheel replaced at 27k, then the whole transmission replaced 2 weeks after that all under warranty of course. Would have been a 15k bill

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 06 had the clutch and flywheel replaced at 33k miles under warranty (goodwill)
My 08 had the clutch and flywheel replaced at 27k, then the whole transmission replaced 2 weeks after that all under warranty of course. Would have been a 15k bill

SMG or Manual? Thats really low mileage for pretty new cars. Where you hard on the gas / a regular user of LC? Did you get to see the worn parts?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SMG of course man...... the 6 speed for the E60 M5 is a joke
I never use Launch Control and i drive the cars but i don't really abuse them. Besides in a smg car you have zero control over the clutch, it's automated. By design it's intended to slip the clutch. Not a car i'd like to have out of warranty. 1 transmission 2 clutches 2 flywheels is the cost of a nicely used E46 M3

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
up date BMW UK have gone 50=50 on parts n dealer has given 20% discount on labour so bill is now £1400 bit easier on the wallet than
£2585 ,here si some pics of the damaged plate can anyone see any signs of wear n tear

·
Registered
153 Posts
Doesn't look overly worn to me, just looks like it been torn up. I'd be interested to see the condition of the release bearing ang guide bush. Any pics? The bearing fusing to the bush might explain the torn plate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry mate no pics of those items did you notice the finger at 9oclock postion on pressure plate ???

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, looking closely it does look like its been clipped by the bearing on a few occasions. Either that or the flash is reflecting. The more i research the more i come to the conclusion that the clutches should be lasting 100k and its the bearings that are the issue. Its only because BMW have to follow set 'control blocks' that they insist the whole lot is changed. The Bearing and bush together only costs £100. Add that to 4.5hrs labour and things would be much more pleasant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts