BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having some issues with my 2005 m6 again. Started with occasional “engine fault, reduced power” message on starting the engine. It was 50/50 whether this would happen when it started. Turn it off and on again and usually fine. Also random “PDC Failure” too.
Took it to a garage who diagnosed the need for a new battery and one parking sensor. All fine the next two times I drove the car. Then got the same errors. Then when I drove off I got the dreaded red cog “transmission error” it said the car wouldn’t start again once stopped. So drove home and left it a week. Just took it for a drive now and it was behaving oddly, car revving and accelerating sometimes when I wasn’t pressing the throttle then got an orange “transmission fault” warning.

I don’t have a code reader. Looks like I am going to have to get it recovered to a garage. Anyone had a similar experience to this before? Trying to get an idea of what to expect before it goes in to the garage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Get a code reader, the car will tell you what is wrong. I'm sure the cost of towing plus diagnostic fee at a local garage will net you the same cost as buying a decent code reader which you can always use in the future. Or if you have a cheap laptop all the software is free and just need a $20~30 OBD/USB K-DCAN cable.

Post the fault codes and we can help you better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What software is it I need? Does it work on any normal laptop?
I would also recommend the bimmergeeks cable so you don't deal with correct/incorrect cable and all the software you need can be downloaded form their website as well, all for free.

You need Standard Tools and Rheingold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts