BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having some issues with my 2005 m6 again. Started with occasional “engine fault, reduced power” message on starting the engine. It was 50/50 whether this would happen when it started. Turn it off and on again and usually fine. Also random “PDC Failure” too.
Took it to a garage who diagnosed the need for a new battery and one parking sensor. All fine the next two times I drove the car. Then got the same errors. Then when I drove off I got the dreaded red cog “transmission error” it said the car wouldn’t start again once stopped. So drove home and left it a week. Just took it for a drive now and it was behaving oddly, car revving and accelerating sometimes when I wasn’t pressing the throttle then got an orange “transmission fault” warning.

I don’t have a code reader. Looks like I am going to have to get it recovered to a garage. Anyone had a similar experience to this before? Trying to get an idea of what to expect before it goes in to the garage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get a code reader, the car will tell you what is wrong. I'm sure the cost of towing plus diagnostic fee at a local garage will net you the same cost as buying a decent code reader which you can always use in the future. Or if you have a cheap laptop all the software is free and just need a $20~30 OBD/USB K-DCAN cable.

Post the fault codes and we can help you better.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What software is it I need? Does it work on any normal laptop?
I would also recommend the bimmergeeks cable so you don't deal with correct/incorrect cable and all the software you need can be downloaded form their website as well, all for free.

You need Standard Tools and Rheingold.

·
1,733 Posts
You have quite a few entries there. Probably accumulated over some time. Try running with inpa just to get a description of codes. I'd erase all codes and see what comes back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m guessing when it was in the garage a couple months ago it would have all the fault history cleared?
So in which case that is just over a couple hundred miles of driving. INPA was confusing me. How do I get a description of the codes?

·
1,733 Posts
Yes bmw software is anything but user friendly. You need to do a full vehicle readout, don't have instructions but if you play around you should find a way. Hardest part is installing the software which you already did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have managed to get into the descriptions, however that part of the software is all in German! So none the wiser.
If anyone has any information about the fault codes above it would be much appreciated.

·
1,733 Posts
I guess it doesn't matter chances are you can google the codes and find their meaning. More important now is clear all codes and see what comes back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven’t cleared the codes, but took it out for a drive and kept it in “manual” mode so using the paddles. No issues. So it appears to be the gearbox not knowing what to do when in automatic mode.

·
1,733 Posts
That's not how the smg works. If there's hydraulic pressure it works fine, manual or auto regardless. I suspect either voltage regulator due to some of the additional codes (unlikely) or the pump motor giving up(usual wear item), which matches your symptoms and most of the smg codes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts