BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just heard it today whilst driving. Previously was only using the car on the weekends but becos the other car was at the paintshop, i've been using the 5 as the daily driver for the past week.

Today i heard the gearbox whine, most noticeable in 2nd, coasting down, throttle off. It whines also in first as well. Sounds crappy, like a electric motor or a dynamo spinning down. But only in-gear. Whine does not happen in neutral. I'm guessing something is wrong with the gearbox.

I've booked the car in for a full-on service + checks this saturday.

Is it something i should be immediately worried about? And will it incur some serious $$$$$$$$$$ :eek:h:

edit: ok, i got it, it sounds like one of the really old car sirens when going from a higher pitch to a lower pitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r22aV3teNjM&feature=related

·
Registered
107 Posts
I switched from a gearbox with a bad second gear synchro with one that sounds like yours. One of the gearbox bearings is starting to go. I've driven mine for about 10K miles like this and I really don't care when it will completely fail. I just call the tow truck when it happens :) A rebuilt gearbox here in the US is around $3000 with discount, probably a lot more in Singapore.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Change the oil to Red Line MT90...it takes two botles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts