BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Tranny whine @1st/2nd gear

2046 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Blitzkrieg Bob
Just heard it today whilst driving. Previously was only using the car on the weekends but becos the other car was at the paintshop, i've been using the 5 as the daily driver for the past week.

Today i heard the gearbox whine, most noticeable in 2nd, coasting down, throttle off. It whines also in first as well. Sounds crappy, like a electric motor or a dynamo spinning down. But only in-gear. Whine does not happen in neutral. I'm guessing something is wrong with the gearbox.

I've booked the car in for a full-on service + checks this saturday.

Is it something i should be immediately worried about? And will it incur some serious $$$$$$$$$$ :eek:h:

edit: ok, i got it, it sounds like one of the really old car sirens when going from a higher pitch to a lower pitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r22aV3teNjM&feature=related
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
I switched from a gearbox with a bad second gear synchro with one that sounds like yours. One of the gearbox bearings is starting to go. I've driven mine for about 10K miles like this and I really don't care when it will completely fail. I just call the tow truck when it happens :) A rebuilt gearbox here in the US is around $3000 with discount, probably a lot more in Singapore.

· Registered
768 Posts
Change the oil to Red Line MT90...it takes two botles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.