BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 3 quarts of royal purple manual transmission fluid and diffy fluid. So I got under the beast today and attempted to remove the fill plug located on the side of the transmission. I tried for about 30 min but had no luck. I then tried spraying it with WD-40 hoping that it would loosen but had no luck. Please help.
Thanks Will

·
Registered
715 Posts
The transmission plugs are very very tight and have a very long thread. No crush washer needed on those little monkeys.

Reactions: Burnout_187

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tranny plugs on most cars are super tight. Pb blaster, an extension, and a breaker bar (pipe over the handle of torque wrench works well), and possibly on a lift for more leverage would be great. If no lift, you can have someone hold the extension while you kick the bar :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Try to tighten it a little bit, then loosen it. May need to just break the threads locker loose.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not to mock you but ...... are you turning it in the right direction, counterclockwise when looking straight on?

I saw that because I've seen helicopter engineers I work with (including myself) reef on something in the wrong
direction due to being upside down ....................

·
Registered
109 Posts
Put the pipe on a breaker bar or long socket wrench. I would not use a torque wench (or add an extension to a torque wrench) to remove the plug. Mine was tight, but the pipe on a breaker bar made it come right out.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I would not use a torque wench (or add an extension to a torque wrench) to remove the plug.

This is good advice.......

Been a mechanic for most of my life and have never used a torque wrench for anything but torquing because they are easily damaged. Use the right tool for the job, a breaker bar and an extension pipe if needed. It makes me cringe when I see guys use a torque wrench to break the lugs loose on a car......:nono:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Becareful using brute force when removing them, and when i mean brute force, if your going to kick the extension or reef on it, make sure its COMPLETELY in or you will strip it. Ive personally done it once and seen 2 other techs at my work do it. Mine was pretty tight, but figure it hasnt been touched in almost 10 years.

When we cant get them out, we use heat. Seems risky, but if your good at it, it comes out super easy when you use a bit of heat.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Becareful using brute force when removing them, and when i mean brute force, if your going to kick the extension or reef on it, make sure its COMPLETELY in or you will strip it. Ive personally done it once and seen 2 other techs at my work do it. Mine was pretty tight, but figure it hasnt been touched in almost 10 years.

When we cant get them out, we use heat. Seems risky, but if your good at it, it comes out super easy when you use a bit of heat.

ahh yes my dad recommended it but I didnt think that would actually work. Is that how you got yours off

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you're going to use heat, try a heat gun before lighting a torch. i've been amazed at what my heat gun can do, it just takes a little longer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts