BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
i've noticed there are two companies listed as suppliers for the hitch system for the E34 series.
which is the better one?
westfalia or oris?

thanks
shawn

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't know which is better. Mine is the Westfalia one, and it's very well designed. They're extremely expensive from BMW, so if you're looking for one, a second-hand towbar is definitely preferable - but it must be detachable as not to ruin the aesthetics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok andy,

first off thanks for the pics, that really helps. with the bumper installed and hitch removed can you see that you even have a hitch? i only want one for the occasional trailer rental from the builder store or something. since i have to get a new bumper anyway and i'll have it all apart i figure i might as well.

shawn

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I reckon threads without pictures are rubbish, so here are some more to fill you in!!

When you fit the towbar, you cut a hole for the hitch, marked out by this line moulded in the back of the bumper.

You buy a flap which looks like this (clips not pictured). It's about £22 including the clips.

Fit it, then drive around for a few months with it still in White Primer

And this is how it looks with the hitch removed and the flap in place.

Hope that helps!
Andy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the bumper i currently have, which will need to be changed due to the damage already has that cut out already made, maybe when i order the new one i can get it precut

shawn

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey all,

sorry to bring up an old post of mine but i was out in a few junkyards yesterday and noticed a strange difference that pertains to this original post. i was searching for rear bumper parts and found 3 good e34's one did in fact have the hitch bar on it (which i didn't take because it wasn't complete) but comparing the one with the hitch and the other 2 without i noticed they have different bumper mounts the one with the hitch had solid ones and the ones without had had the shock mount style. since i plan to buy a hitch system (i'll be contacting you soon georgeK) i took the bumper mounts off the one with the hitch. is this right or are they interchangable?

thanks
shawn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shawn,
You are correct the bumper supports need to be changed for the hitch setup.
Mine however will stay here for a while as I leave on sunday for one year....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts