BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
907 Posts
Dear Scott,

I think everyone who heard of the tragedy really felt their heart sink...personally there were alot of talk thru this thread and behind the scenes of this board...Gustav, and my friend JeffS to express our condolences.

Whoever has looked at this thread or continues to do so, even at this point...wanted to know as much as possible about your situation, because, as I can only imagine from my own understanding of it...the loss you suffer is the most important, and un-comprehendable to anyone (or most on this board).

We are a community, and I think what you said was very important, about how ...even though you weren#t the most active member....the board meant something to you....as you were on it "everyday" . That is true of many people that frequent this board. But as a community, I think the people here genuinely cared about you....and, bottom line...all our prayers went to you and your family.

I just checked today...and saw this thread again...and was surprised to hear from you....not even able to read the comments that followed because this is more personal responses to you...I just had to write something as well.

I hope your family can be strong throughout all this. It is goods to know you have support around you. I hope this place also serves as an outlet for you......

sincerely Alfred

·
Registered
49 Posts
AJ said:
alchohol and hp are a deadly combination.

scratch that. alchohol and driving are a bad combination.

too bad for the guy. with all due respect- the hardest part of his life is still ahead of him.

sucks

alex
02 gts
few other cars
anything done with alchohol involed is bad. Its legalized poison.

The story posted is so incredibly vague and everyon is so disconnected with the victim I don't see the point in posting it at all. :sad1:

Brian

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
This has got to be one of the most depressing events ever.

Scott ... I don't know (and hopefully will never) how you are feeling right now. Feel better soon and treasure the 2nd chance you are given. My condolences to you and your lost love ones.

:sad2:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Re: Tragic M5 accident in TX this weekend

Tragic follow up, can it be any worse :crying:

San Antonio Express-News SAN ANTONIO

Man charged in

fatal 2003 crash

A 33-year-old man has been charged with the January 2003 traffic deaths of his wife, brother and friend.

XXXXX was indicted Wednesday on three counts of intoxication manslaughter and arrested later that day. XXXXX was released from Bexar County Jail on Thursday afternoon after posting $150,000 bond.

On Jan. 3, 2003, XXXXXX was driving a 2002 BMW M5 on Texas 16 about three miles north of Helotes when it spun out of control, went down an embankment and struck a tree. The BMW caught fire and flipped, trapping its occupants.

XXXXX's wife, XXXX, his brother XXXX and XXXXX, a friend from Sturgis, S.D., were killed in the fiery crash. Dental records were needed to identify the bodies.

A passer-by pulled XXXXXXfrom the wrecked car. He suffered minor injuries

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA080604.02B.roundup.1f27c7cf.html

·
Registered
4,246 Posts

Oh no, this is horrible news. Once again my thoughts and prayers go out to Scott.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

No matter what the circumstances are, I think the poor guy has suffered enough. Putting him in jail wont do a thing but destroy another life...
That is terrible news, but the law is the law. Making good choices is not always as easy as it seems. :crying:
:cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts

This is a tragic story about the distruction of 4 or more lives.

But for the grace of god, I could picture myself in that horriable situation.

Reading this drives home a sobering reality of the choices we make.

I love my wife, my childeren, and the life I lead that allows me to drive and enjoy my M5. This is all the more brought into focus given Scott's loss.

It is not in me to judge him on the merits of his choices. I hope he can find peace someday.

Please everyone be safe.

Thanks,

Ted L.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

What more can be said?

For all of us so willing to judge, is it any more reckless to drive with a BAC of 0.11 as compared to driving 140mph in a 55 or 65 zone? Being anti-DUI is politically correct, but who of us hasn't taken similar risks?

....getting teary eyed as I've read this thread and reflected...

I'd have killed myself.

so sad,

ard

·
Registered
208 Posts

Sbirkholz said:
Dwasifar,
I am the person that you speak so highly about. I really appreciate your Ignorance. I wish that people would not rely on media for the truth.
The driver has not been determined due to the fact that the car flipped over after hitting the tree. I do not remember any part of the entire night. So i can not say what happened. I was rescued by a passerby and was actually pulled out of the passenger side rear window. This was found out 2 days later. I was burned pretty bad and have been out of work until now. Of course the burns are nothing in relation to the pain I feel everyday for every one who lost these beautiful people.
In the begining I wish so much that i was not rescued.Now Im trying to be positive and realize that I was saved for a reason and I will find that reason and i will do everything I can to help anyone I can with whatever I can.
I lost my wife Tracy of 10 yrs who was the greatest person to walk this earth. I loved her more than life itself. I would do anything just to hold her again. I lost my Brother Brandon who was also like my best friend I was so proud of him. I really hate the fact that I will never be able to be his best man in his wedding or the uncle of his children, which would have been truly amazing. My Friend Tom was like a brother to me and he was actually staying with us, as he always did when he would have his 2 months vacations twice a year. I would do anything for him and he would do the same for me.
Life can be really f--cked up and right now I really dont know how Im doing I go up and down everyday and the same goes for Tracy's family, Tom's family, and My family. which by the way all support me 100%. If not for all my family and friends telling me that Im here for a reason and supporting me and eachother I would have ended it as soon as I could have pulled the trigger. Family is a wonderful gift that we all have I didnt realize how amazing it can be to have immense love from everyone. I am sorry that Im going on and on. I just want you to realize that things are not always as they are told especially in a a situation that was Im sure was total craziness. Please everyone be careful I would not want my worst enemy to have to go through the pain that we are suffering. I appreciate all the talk of wanting to do something for me or our family. I realize that it is hard to know what is the right thing to do in a situaton like this. I would have the same dilemma. I know that you are all caring people just by the amount of responses to the original post. I almost cant believe it. I think any gesture would have been appropriate and welcomed. (Just for future reference.) I just hope that there will never be a need for this.
Enjoy your life and your family's like there was no tommorrow because tomorrow may never come. Life is fragile. Love them, Hug them, Kiss them as much as you can.

:crying2: hopefully one day we (family and friends) can feel this:) eventhough that does not seem possible right now.

Scott

P.S. I really loved this board and was on it everyday. I learned alot and realize what a great group of people you really are. I dont know if I could buy another M5 though. But maybe I will start to read the board once again.

I wasn't on this board when this tragedy occured. I've read Scott's recount a number of times today and each time it's brought me to tears.
I can not begin to appreciate what Scott and the families of those that perished feel, and I pray that I never have to.
Over the years I've been at the wheel when I know I shouldn't have been. I for one will never do it again and I hope that all those that have read the details of this horrible event will do the same.
Life is too precious.
Stan

·
Registered
466 Posts

Indeed. Bravo!

I believe that would be most appropriate and not too assuming on our part.
just enough.

IMHO,
War

DrPaul said:
If I might weigh in here.
I deal with tragedy daily - it is my job as a critical care doc. I have seen it all.

I can say that IMHO, Paul S (germansedanfan) is correct. A simple note of condolence is always appropriate and in my experience always appreciated. If it was from "Gustav and friends" it would be specific enough that he would know it is from this group and ambiguous enough that other, less sensative people would not know it is from the "car nuts" out there, should they happen upon it.

My $.02

·
Registered
191 Posts

Gustav said:
Tragic follow up, can it be any worse :crying:

San Antonio Express-News SAN ANTONIO

Man charged in

fatal 2003 crash

A 33-year-old man has been charged with the January 2003 traffic deaths of his wife, brother and friend.

XXXXX was indicted Wednesday on three counts of intoxication manslaughter and arrested later that day. XXXXX was released from Bexar County Jail on Thursday afternoon after posting $150,000 bond.

On Jan. 3, 2003, XXXXXX was driving a 2002 BMW M5 on Texas 16 about three miles north of Helotes when it spun out of control, went down an embankment and struck a tree. The BMW caught fire and flipped, trapping its occupants.

XXXXX's wife, XXXX, his brother XXXX and XXXXX, a friend from Sturgis, S.D., were killed in the fiery crash. Dental records were needed to identify the bodies.

A passer-by pulled XXXXXXfrom the wrecked car. He suffered minor injuries

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA080604.02B.roundup.1f27c7cf.html

Gustav,
Reading Scott's recount of the tragedy he mentioned that he was pulled from the rear passenger side of the M5. That doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't the driver. But by charging him means the jury thought beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was indeed the driver and of course he was drinking. This would add insult to injury if he was not the driver. too :sad1:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

This very SAD news...I've almost crashed yesterday....Went to fast into corner....slide....on way...then other...then 360 on the main road....To my luck there were no car upfront... ouich ...wanted to do some drifting ouich ...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

Sonic M5 said:
Gustav,
Reading Scott's recount of the tragedy he mentioned that he was pulled from the rear passenger side of the M5. That doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't the driver. But by charging him means the jury thought beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was indeed the driver and of course he was drinking. This would add insult to injury if he was not the driver. too :sad1:
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but indited isn't the same as 'beyond a shadow of a doubt'... I didn't read the link (didn't want to register) but if it was a grand jury indictment, then the jurors found there was a possibility he was responsible- if he was indicted by the DA then there was no jury.

anyone not from texas know how to pronounce Bexar? :)

Bear, if I recall (too many visits to SA)

Ard

·
Registered
106 Posts

Also pronounced bare :7: :7:

I read the posts and this is truly sad. As M5rus said, but for a bit of luck, he could have been in a very bad position. I truly feel sorry for this man, as he has lost so much already. Not dismissing drinking and driving, but his suffering will continue for the rest of his life. My thoughts go out to him and the families of all involved.

Be safe mates

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

I posted the last post before reading all of the posts..... I still feel the same gut reaction to the circumstances. What the world needs more of is compassion and undertstanding (no I'm not religious or preeching)

Even more so after Scott's heartfelt piece.

Scott, I'm sat up in the morning here in the UK having just read all of the posts and I feel for you Buddy :sad1:

Whatever the outcome and circumstances Life's dealt you a difficult blow, but do hang in there ...........

Adrian

·
Registered
191 Posts

ard said:
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but indited isn't the same as 'beyond a shadow of a doubt'... I didn't read the link (didn't want to register) but if it was a grand jury indictment, then the jurors found there was a possibility he was responsible- if he was indicted by the DA then there was no jury.
Ard
Ard,
Thanks for the enlightenment I must admit that I don't know the law as well as I should. Anyway, what does this mean for poor Scott?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

Carrera2RS said:
Scott, I'm sat up in the morning here in the UK having just read all of the posts and I feel for you Buddy :sad1:

Whatever the outcome and circumstances Life's dealt you a difficult blow, but do hang in there ...........

Adrian
I second his good wishes, Scott. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts

Help me out here, I have conflicting feelings.

One the one hand, I feel terrible for the man. I lost a young relative not long ago in a car crash caused by a big rig that crossed over into his lane.

On the other hand, I'm feeling the same anger I felt towards the truck driver (even though he was sober-a snow storm caused him to not be able to see the highway). If it's true he was DUI AND going too fast, I find it hard to muster any sympathy.

What if he had killed ANOTHER family in another car, not his own?

Sorry, I'm just so angry when I hear about events like this. But I do have great sympathy for those affected by this tradegy.

I apologize if I sound insensitive - especially to anyone who knew/know those involved.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

OK that's enough! :nono:

We all feel very bad for Scott and wish him all the very best. I think it would be best to just leave him and this topic alone for a while. The last thing he needs is us discussing such a sensitive and personal topic in public and passing judgement without knowing the case intimately.

Let's just pray that he gets some peace and thank our lucky stars that we're not in his situation - most of us have no doubt had a few narrow misses in our time.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.