BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I feel ashamed for even complaining and feeling bad this
summer when I lost my drivers license for three months.
This guy has lost so much more :sad1:

Horrible storry...

Best regards,

Fedde

·
Registered
997 Posts
Here is what I don't understand about all this:

1) The news reports said "alcohol-related."

2) When you do the math on the police statements about accidents and alcohol in the area during the first few days of '03, you come to the same conclusion.

3) Straight road, no obstacles, no other traffic, driver loses it anyway. Does that happen most often to people who are a) sober or b) drunk?

AND YET.... it seems like many people here STILL want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. WHY? If he were driving a Cavalier or an Eclipse he wouldn't be getting this consideration - we'd all judge him a drunk driver, and that'd be it. Why is he entitled to this bend-over-backwards denial, just for being an M5 driver?

As for the argument that we should feel sorry for him because he has suffered a terrible loss - would you make the same argument if he had simply shot the other people? "Oh, how horrible, he lost his family." It's horrible that those people died, but if he is responsible for their deaths (and the story so far strongly suggests that he is), then I don't see why you'd feel any more sorry for him now than if he had simply murdered them in cold blood.

·
Registered
564 Posts
How terrible. My condolences and sympathy to ALL involved. If alcohol was involved, what a tragic way to learn to learn the most important lesson of driving responsibly: driving while impaired by ANY quantity of ANY mind altering substance must be avoided. Studies have shown that even a small quantity of alcohol ingested and a blood alcohol level of as low as 0.04% will impair judgement, slow reaction times, etc. I for one will never drink and drive and always use a designated driver. What a tragedy. We see it all too often---just pick up the paper. Sad, sad, sad.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My most sincere condolences to the bereaved families. My heart goes out aslo to our fellow board member and I wish him a speedy and full physical and emotional recovery.

·
Registered
289 Posts
dwasifar said:
Why is he entitled to this bend-over-backwards denial, just for being an M5 driver?

As for the argument that we should feel sorry for him because he has suffered a terrible loss - would you make the same argument if he had simply shot the other people? "Oh, how horrible, he lost his family." It's horrible that those people died, but if he is responsible for their deaths (and the story so far strongly suggests that he is), then I don't see why you'd feel any more sorry for him now than if he had simply murdered them in cold blood.
I don't agree that compassion is being shown just because the guy was driving an M5. I like to think that there is enough intelligence on this board for people to be able to form opinions without basing them on the car that was being driven. We're just talking about basic human compassion here.

Secondly, there is a HUGE difference between KNOWINGLY killing somebody and what happened here. That's why, in a court of law, cause of loss of life can result in convictions of 1st degree murder down to involuntary manslaughter or no conviction at all. There are such things as mitigating circumstances.

Unless proven otherwise I like to think that the driver of this car, if in fact he was drunk, made a grave error of judgement which he will now regret for the remainder of his life. I also like to think that he didn't do it intentionally. Probably a lot of people on this board can identify with what happened (who hasn't at some time driven under the influence) and that's why we feel for him.

Rob

·
Registered
134 Posts
What a tragedy... my condolences to the family.

While I don't condone the probable drunk driving, I acknowledge that the driver almost certainly didn't intend to murder his passengers. I can't imagine the pain he is suffering at the moment... I think it would break me if I were in his shoes. The horror of being in the position he is in now is what has always kept me from getting in the car after a couple of pints.

Hence, my heart feels for him and wants to believe that he was not drunk and somehow got run off the road into that tree despite my head screaming that he was probably drunk and gets what he deserved.

He learned the lesson I hope the rest of us never have to learn...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
We should do something, I liked the from "Gustav and friends", add, "around the world."

But where do you send this condolence.

For those of you judging this driver, keep in mind that "but for the grace of God go I". Cold sober you can do a lot of damage with an M5 under the wrong conditions. Be alert and safe, enjoy your car.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dwasifar,
I am the person that you speak so highly about. I really appreciate your Ignorance. I wish that people would not rely on media for the truth.
The driver has not been determined due to the fact that the car flipped over after hitting the tree. I do not remember any part of the entire night. So i can not say what happened. I was rescued by a passerby and was actually pulled out of the passenger side rear window. This was found out 2 days later. I was burned pretty bad and have been out of work until now. Of course the burns are nothing in relation to the pain I feel everyday for every one who lost these beautiful people.
In the begining I wish so much that i was not rescued.Now Im trying to be positive and realize that I was saved for a reason and I will find that reason and i will do everything I can to help anyone I can with whatever I can.
I lost my wife Tracy of 10 yrs who was the greatest person to walk this earth. I loved her more than life itself. I would do anything just to hold her again. I lost my Brother Brandon who was also like my best friend I was so proud of him. I really hate the fact that I will never be able to be his best man in his wedding or the uncle of his children, which would have been truly amazing. My Friend Tom was like a brother to me and he was actually staying with us, as he always did when he would have his 2 months vacations twice a year. I would do anything for him and he would do the same for me.
Life can be really f--cked up and right now I really dont know how Im doing I go up and down everyday and the same goes for Tracy's family, Tom's family, and My family. which by the way all support me 100%. If not for all my family and friends telling me that Im here for a reason and supporting me and eachother I would have ended it as soon as I could have pulled the trigger. Family is a wonderful gift that we all have I didnt realize how amazing it can be to have immense love from everyone. I am sorry that Im going on and on. I just want you to realize that things are not always as they are told especially in a a situation that was Im sure was total craziness. Please everyone be careful I would not want my worst enemy to have to go through the pain that we are suffering. I appreciate all the talk of wanting to do something for me or our family. I realize that it is hard to know what is the right thing to do in a situaton like this. I would have the same dilemma. I know that you are all caring people just by the amount of responses to the original post. I almost cant believe it. I think any gesture would have been appropriate and welcomed. (Just for future reference.) I just hope that there will never be a need for this.
Enjoy your life and your family's like there was no tommorrow because tomorrow may never come. Life is fragile. Love them, Hug them, Kiss them as much as you can.

:crying2: hopefully one day we (family and friends) can feel this:) eventhough that does not seem possible right now.

Scott

P.S. I really loved this board and was on it everyday. I learned alot and realize what a great group of people you really are. I dont know if I could buy another M5 though. But maybe I will start to read the board once again.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Scott,

My heartfelt condolences for your losses.

I can simply not imagine what you are currently going through. In my opinion its exceedingly brave to openly state your feelings as you have just done.

This messageboard is a meetingplace for many wonderful members with a wealth of life experiences. A number of them have gone through similar situations as yourself.

If there is anything any of us can do to help - even just to listen - feel free to post or PM.

Kees

·
Registered
999 Posts
Scott, thank you for writing us, I know it had to be difficult. I really wish all the best for you in the future. Please keep in touch and as Kees said, if you need someone to talk to, we're here for you.

Rick

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Scott,

It showed a ton of courage for you to address us here given the emotions you must be feeling at the moment. My heart goes out to you and the families of the loved ones lost in this most horrific accident.

No matter what the actual circumstances are/were, I think I speak for most of us here in saying we are deeply saddened for you at this time. I have a wonderful wife of 22 years and two beautiful young daughters and can't even begin to imagine how I would feel if they were suddenly taken away?...

Only time will heal your wounds. :(

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Scott, hang in there buddy. I can't imagine the great loss you've suffered. Hearing it from you is good for the rest of us. It puts a human face on the true horror of such events. The loss of your loving wife and brother are too terrible. My heart goes out to you at this time with this wish, may you find peace in all of this and do good things.

Come and talk to us any time you feel the need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that i addressed this to" DWASIFAR "whom I do not know but I did not appreciate his Ignorance. Just in case there might have been confusion when it was read. But of course I also wanted all of you to read it.
Scott

·
Registered
271 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Scott, hang in there buddy. I can't imagine the great loss you've suffered. Hearing it from you is good for the rest of us. It puts a human face on the true horror of such events. The loss of your loving wife and brother are too terrible. My heart goes out to you at this time with this wish, may you find peace in all of this and do good things.

Come and talk to us any time you feel the need.
Very well said Jim.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Scott,

Friends and family support keeps you hanging in there inspite of the immemse pain and sorrow. This board IS my extended family. I feel more bond/empathy here than with my direct family sometimes. Two years ago, we went through a very difficult time in our family. The M5 and this board helped kept my spirit up and faced each day. If we can lend similar support in your case, we are here 24/7.

As for the M5, it is THE SAFEST vehicle on the road. It might have helped with your surviving the tragedy. I realize the car is a painful reminder to you, it is the bond that glues us together. Whether you buy another M5 or not is not an issue. You are always welcomed here.

Best wishes for everything you do in the future.

CP

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Truly sad - my heartfelt condolences to the family.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
This is truly a sad story and for the involved person I admire the courage and willingness to show your thanksfulness to do a follow up for us. Makes all of us feel better and we'll now -may it not happen to a fellow member or anyone else- next time we'll collect money for flowers and send them.

Best regards and life goes on. :byebye:

·
Registered
139 Posts
My condolences. Hope things work out in the best possible way for all involved. May even be worth cutting dwasifar some slack. Arriving at conclusions is a popular thing for many. Even in haste. And so for them, in the interest of time, all of the answers are often contained in a first impression. Boasting of such perceived knowledge is also popular for some as is evident in dwasifar's contribution. Where intent, in addition to tact and fact, was clearly absent in the flat-footed analogy. People make mistakes.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.