BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Where is the unit for the traffic master system? How do i disconnect it, or which fuse is for it? And is the fuse ONLY for the traffic master?

Reading about the web, it seems its a source of battery drain on permanent live, i don't use it, and want to delete it off the car.

I have no wiring diagrams unfortunately.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Its in the boot above the Nav unit. Mine had a giant parallel plug going into it. From there I don't know though but I would guess it has an aeiral somewhere and wires running to the control unit in the cabin and to the TV unit to interupt the feed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks very much, so in theory, removing should just mean either an unplug, or a bypass (i hope)

Did you remove yours?

Is it this big black box? It has two wiring looms with multiplugs, and then what looks like a coax cabling. On of the plugs runs down into the tv module with a big blue plug. It also has a removalbe section with a sim card thing in it.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
576 Posts
I removed mine by disconnecting the unit in the centre console and replacing with cup holders. I would not disconnect the big unit in the boot unless you find out beforehand what else it's connected to.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Trafficmaster

Hi,

Just taken mine out to allow some room for my ipod video dock. I started with disconnecting the battery and removing the cd changer then getting the unit off of the tv module by cutting through the double sided tape (pain in the neck). The next step disconnect the blue plug in the top of the tv module and you will find at the end of this part of the TM loom another blue plug and socket. Disconnect these two and connect the plug into the tv module.

You will have 2 other looms from the tm unit with black plugs, disconnect both leaving the tm unit hard wired with 3 wires into one of the 3 plugs above the wheel arch (see pic). There is a couple of ways to do this 1 cut each wire near to the tm loom and then insulate each cable separately or 2 if your handy with a soldering iron de-solder and re-insulate where they are soldered into the wheel arch plug. You will now be left with 2 looms 1 of goes to the control buttons in the centre console along the passenger side inner sill the other goes behind the back seat (haven't taken that one out yet). The centre console switch panel just pulls out leaving the space for cup holders or plain panel. Hope I haven't made this sound more complicated than it is, if you do get stuck just give me a shout.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks VERY much!

I'll be removing this, and hopefully measuring the current draw in 'sleep' before and after.

So in summary, disconnect the blue plugs and reconnect the blue plug and socket on the cars loom together, disconnect the black plugs, and snip and insulate the three wires, and its out?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
So in summary, disconnect the blue plugs and reconnect the blue plug and socket on the cars loom together, disconnect the black plugs, and snip and insulate the three wires, and its out?
Not quite!

The blue plug that goes into the socket on the flying lead of the Traffic Master needs to be plugged into the TV module, where the blue plug on the Traffic Master loom came out of.

Appart from that, you've got it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One thing I did notice was that my BMW logo start up screen which had only worked now and then now works every time since disconnecting the TM.

Hopefully I will find where the last piece of the TM loom goes to this w/end and get that out.

Greg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just realised your TM is in a different place to mine (see pic).

So you should not have to go through unsticking without damaging your tv module like I had to.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Brilliant write up.

leaving the tm unit hard wired with 3 wires into one of the 3 plugs above the wheel arch (see pic). There is a couple of ways to do this 1 cut each wire near to the tm loom and then insulate each cable separately or 2 if your handy with a soldering iron de-solder and re-insulate where they are soldered into the wheel arch plug.
I was wondering WTF they had hardwired 3 cables, while everything else was plugs, when I got some work done to my beast. I might kick the unit out too, as I'm in ROI and also my TM unit just gives a fuzzy screen. No point having a useless piece of hardware sitting in the car.

/M

·
Registered
317 Posts
Brilliant write up.

I was wondering WTF they had hardwired 3 cables, while everything else was plugs, when I got some work done to my beast. I might kick the unit out too, as I'm in ROI and also my TM unit just gives a fuzzy screen. No point having a useless piece of hardware sitting in the car.

/M
The weird thing about the 3 hardwired ones is 2 of the 3 were soldered together.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I removed mine by disconnecting the unit in the centre console and replacing with cup holders. I would not disconnect the big unit in the boot unless you find out beforehand what else it's connected to.

Will this work if I disconnect the centre consol as per the picture for the Voltage draw without dismantling and cutting wires in the boot?
I want to just put in cupholders but it can be reused if another person in the futers wants to.
My TM is at the very top of all the units in the boot and not on the front as per 1 of the pictures in the thread.
I have something drawing current so new FSU (Which I think it might be) I have also unplugged the V50 BMW phone (Which also turn off as per it should) so I never use TM so disconnect it also (even if it's not this the car should sit longer and still start)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
You'll need to disconnect the unit in the boot as well. It's really crazy how they hard wired those three connections, there is no option but to cut them if you want to remove it completely. You may be able to just disconnect the plugs that are use for the rest of the connections to the boot unit, maybe worth a try if you want to retain the ability to easily reconnect it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I disconnected the 2 black plugs and also the 2 blue ones and reconnected it back into the tv module :applause:
looked harder than it was!
I never cut the 3 wires so will it still draw current?or do the definately need cut?
I was going for the easy reconnect if I sell option.

·
1,925 Posts
Shamus, you could always cut the three wires and crimp bullet connectors onto them so you can still do an easy reconnect option... That's what I'll be doing when I take mine out :)

YG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts