BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a ticket this way? I'm curious how it works.

I was making a u-turn in a Blvd and got stopped by the car in front of me because it stopped for another car making a right turn. Some guy behind me honked at me because he got left behind when the light turned red. I looked and saw a bottom-dwelling loser with his hat tipped to the side, jiving at me. I got pissed, honked twice and peeled-out during my turn :M5launch:, just to make him realize that he will never drive a car like that in his life. What the hell is the deal with tipping the hat to the side?

Anyways, seconds later I remembered that a cop passed me a few seconds ago and was about a block away
. I immediately pulled over to residential streets hoping to sneak away, if the cop was looking for me. Then I started wondering if there was a traffic camera at the intersection. I doubt it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Not sure what you're asking...

They don't record video and analyze for all transgressions.

They have sensors that look for a car in the intersection when the light turns red. If the sensor say "car here" they take a picture. They look at the picture and send a ticket if it shows your front wheels over the line when the light changed.

That's how I understand it.

(Did I ever tell you the time I out ran/out snuck a CHP... http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=543955&postcount=5

They don't usually try to get you unless they are pretty sure they will.

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ard said:
Not sure what you're asking...

They don't record video and analyze for all transgressions.

They have sensors that look for a car in the intersection when the light turns red. If the sensor say "car here" they take a picture. They look at the picture and send a ticket if it shows your front wheels over the line when the light changed.

That's how I understand it.

(Did I ever tell you the time I out ran/out snuck a CHP... http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=543955&postcount=5

They don't usually try to get you unless they are pretty sure they will.

A
Yeap - that's what I was wondering about. I don't know where the "line" would be, but it was a red light when I finished my turn.

Story 1 sounds like an inadvertent invention to dodge the cops at night, kind of like how some gov personnel noticed that his chocolate chip cookie melted next to a microwave nuclear missle scanner or thingy - or somethng like that. I think that's how it started. I like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,353 Posts
Yeap - that's what I was wondering about. I don't know where the "line" would be, but it was a red light when I finished my turn.
If you were turned sideways to the camera, as in making U turn, the camera can't see your plate. :byee55amg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Story 1 sounds like an inadvertent invention to dodge the cops at night, kind of like how some gov personnel noticed that his chocolate chip cookie melted next to a microwave nuclear missle scanner or thingy - or somethng like that. I think that's how it started. I like it.

Nothing 'inadvertant'.. I was trying to dodge him desparately...

On your second point- if you recall the original microwave was called the RadarRange... lore has it that a General Electric missle/radar technician noticed that when working on an antenna, his cold coffee was suddenly hot....

who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Need4Spd said:
If you were turned sideways to the camera, as in making U turn, the camera can't see your plate. :byee55amg
I thought the camera is located in the opposite traffic, catching your rear plates as you drive away.

ard said:
Nothing 'inadvertant'.. I was trying to dodge him desparately...

On your second point- if you recall the original microwave was called the RadarRange... lore has it that a General Electric missle/radar technician noticed that when working on an antenna, his cold coffee was suddenly hot....

who knows.
Oh yeah. All I could remember was missle and something brown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,353 Posts
I thought the camera is located in the opposite traffic, catching your rear plates as you drive away.
Maybe in some places. Here in Calif. it gets your frontal view, as to make their case they need to prove not only that it's your car but you were driving it (so needs pic including driver's face). That's why some places have been cracking down and forcing people to put their front plates on.

Anyway, it's a still camera, not a video, and it triggers once it detects a car in the intersection at a predetermined time after the light turns red. I also think it's only active for a split second not the entire duration of the red light. In this instance of a U turn, is could have caught the front view, but if the turn was made quickly, there's a chance it only took the side of the car if it even got the pic at all. These things for the most part are designed to catch people going in a straight line, not turning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Camera takes two pictures...one the moment the light turns red and another 1/2 second later. On your ticket there will be three boxes...you'll need to select one. 1. Guilty as charged...here's my money 2. I'll see you in court as I'm contesting this 3. Wasn't me driving...really I SWEAR!! If you choose option 3, you walk away without a ticket, but you'll have a guilty conscience...maybe. You might actually have to have a notary sign the ticket if you say it wasn't you...not sure about that. What I do know is that, for absolute certain, you can check option three that says it wasn't you driving and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it and you don't get a ticket.

The system is flawed and they know it. I got a ticket a month ago that showed me a few feet over the crosswalk line. Problem was, I was stopped!! I called them and made them take a look at the two photos they took of me...first one had a truck right next to me and then 1/2 second later that truck was 30 feet ahead of me...proved I had hit the brakes to stop at the light and they erased the ticket from their system.

There really is no way that you can't get out of it if you really want to. Even if you went to court to fight it you could say that the light was out and it was a blinking red that day, or that the light was broken and there was a cop there directing traffic, but you just can't see him on the photo...a million plausibles that they just can't argue with. Truly the system is based on the honor system.

Conclusion...honest men pay the ticket, dishonest men don't. Just another example of how the good guy finishes last. Me on my first ticket...finished dead last!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
In AZ the law states that the ticket MUST be served to the person who gets the ticket. SInce this is a revenue generating scam, the general action is to throw the ticket in the trash. If they don't serve you, they have nothing.

Better still...if you are going through a known photo radar trap, duck your head and they won't even mail you a ticket as they don't have a driver.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top