BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am moving on to a different auto with a little more room I am just trying to figure out what my Beast is worth. The dealer that I am dealing with says they will give me $37k as a trade in. What can I expect to get if I sell it my self? Here is what I have:

2001 M5 Silverstone / Black Sport (full Leather) Alum Trim
40,121 ml.
CPO until Oct 2006
All Air bags F/R
Completely stock no mods
The Clutch seems to be in good shape ( never raced from a stop)
Interior is great two light scratches on trim
Paint is very good about five small rock chips upfront
Tires are Michelin Pilot A/S with 60% tread left
Biggest issue is Wheels need to be refinished

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I'll give you $50k for your car.... just don't ask what I'm SELLING you the new wheels for!

You could sell that car in 4 days for $37k. IMHO. The great thing about trades is dealers can play both ends of the deal. (Great for the dealer...)

35-37 for an 00, add 5 to 6k per year newer.... rule of thumb

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ard said:
I'll give you $50k for your car.... just don't ask what I'm SELLING you the new wheels for!

You could sell that car in 4 days for $37k. IMHO. The great thing about trades is dealers can play both ends of the deal. (Great for the dealer...)

35-37 for an 00, add 5 to 6k per year newer.... rule of thumb
Ahh Yes
I made the deal on the new car which I feel is very fair
Then put my beast in the picture which they promptly wanted to give me $34k I said $39k he said $37k I said I would think it over
By trading at $37k I would save about $2k in sales tax
So if I could get $41k or more it would make since to sell the Beast myself.<o =""></o>

OPINIONS ???<o =""></o>

·
Registered
612 Posts
Apex said:
By trading at $37k I would save about $2k in sales tax
So if I could get $41k or more it would make since to sell the Beast myself.<O =""></O>

OPINIONS ???<O =""></O>
I think you should be able to get more than $41K. But you know your local market best. You certainly would on the west coast. Good luck!

·
Registered
540 Posts
If cash flow and time are important, that may be the overriding influence. If not important, I would venture you could do better selling yourself.

good luck

al

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
IMHO you can do better- but you may have to weigh in convenience factor. I think Adam is right- its got to be around 50 for what its FMV is.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
IMHO you can do better- but you may have to weigh in convenience factor. I think Adam is right- its got to be around 50 for what its FMV is.
I'll add my $.02. I think low to mid 40's is the best you can expect for a stock '01. While a low mileage car for its age, it is not ultra low miles that tend to bring a premium. It is prob out of warranty, so no bonus for that. I agree that unless you are time constrained for the extra cash , or constrained by the convenience factor, a sale will yield anywhere from an extra $2-$5k in the end.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I think Adam is right- its got to be around 50 for what its FMV is.
No, that was a joke to point out the foibles of trades. Low 40s.

Good luck!

A

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I'd trade it. Here in the midwest $41k would be a stretch for a less-than- perfect non-CPO '01. I walked away from a '01 for $38k that is similar to your description. Dunno know what the market's like in Texas, but also dunno why it would be much different.
Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gsfent said:
I'll add my $.02. I think low to mid 40's is the best you can expect for a stock '01. While a low mileage car for its age, it is not ultra low miles that tend to bring a premium. It is prob out of warranty, so no bonus for that. I agree that unless you are time constrained for the extra cash , or constrained by the convenience factor, a sale will yield anywhere from an extra $2-$5k in the end.
Regards,
Jerry
Forgot to add that it is CPO until Oct 2006

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Apex said:
Forgot to add that it is CPO until Oct 2006
Post it here for a week or two at $42. See if someone will save it from the dealer.

A cpo is a very important item for many buyers, esp the 00 and 01s...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Take a look here for comparable sales

I think that a STOCK M5 is more desirable, especially for an astute purchaser. i would put it at $47,000 and maybe drop 1 or 2 large for the right buyer. Not too many Stock M5's remaining...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts