BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to trade my 2003 m-5 for a new m-3 with smg. My dilema is a I previously had an e-36 m3 & miss the unique way the m-3 connects to thr driver & road. My question is has anyone here traded their e-39 m-5 for an e-46 m-3 & later wished they hadn't. Any input will be appreciated Thanks.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The E46 M3 doe not connect the road to the driver like the E-36 M3 did. The M car with the best road-feel/handling is the E30 M3. So if that's your fond memory, the E46 M3 could be a rude awaking.

I'll take the M5 any time. In fact I seriousely considered the E46 M3 (333 Hp is a bunch more than the E36, but the 287 ft-# tq ia a little low)) and then decided on my M5. Could not have made a better decision.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
298 Posts
I test drove several 05 M3s before I bought my M5. The M3 is fast and handles well but was a smaller car than I was looking for. My previous car was a 2002 330i 5 Spd which was nice but aside from the engine/tranny/lsd I just didn't feel that the M3 was a step up in any way. The back seat on the coupe is virtually unuseable and the car just isn't as comfortable as the E39. Drive a couple of them and make up your own mind, but I think that the M5 is a much better car in terms of all round ability and comfort. At some point I will have an E46 M3 but only as a second third or fourth car.

Regards

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I will echo Pong's comments. Btw- be sure you want SMG- how much do you enjoy shifting? When I drive the E39 M5, every time, without fail, I know I am driving a special car. While the E46 M3 is a very nicely done vehicle, I just never got that sense. Why? Its hard to say. My advice is to get some time driving the M3 and then see if you can take a week or two before you make a decision and during that time do not drive the M5 (if possible) and imagine what life with the M3 and not the M5 would be like. They're not making the M5 anymore. Btw- I did get the special feeling when I had the E36 M3.

G

·
I used to have a '95 M3 (e36), '98 M3 cab (e36) and '01 330Cic (e46). Although I didn't have the e46 version of the M3, I felt that the 330Cic (e46) did not connect in any way close to the M3 coupe or cab (e36). the e36 felt light and nimble and well-planted on the road, while the e46 felt portly and not as much fun.

If I were you, I would keep the M5, and get a nice clean low-mileage e36 M3 to have as a second car.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going the other way - I ordered an '03 M3 and have really enjoyed the vehicle for the past 18 months, but I purchased an '02 M5 a couple of weeks ago and now must decide which to keep (not a bad problem to have for sure). I agree with the other posters that the E36 (I had a '96 328) had more road feedback than the E46, but the E46 M3 certaintly has more than the M5. There is no getting around the difference in weight - a convertible M3 with power seats, sunroof, etc does not feel the same as my M3 which I ordered without all the baggage. At the end of the day they are two different vehicles - both very well executed.

Bruce

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would definitely keep hold of the M5 for several reasons:

1. The E46 does not compare with the E36 Evo as smuch as one would expect.

2. The E90 has been released - if you trade in now for a new E46 M3 - you will definitely make a major loss...

3. Most M3 owners would get an M5 if they needed a larger car and more importantly if they could afford the maintenance..

4. You will find it difficult to adjust to the size oif the car and more importantly the lower power levels...

Rest is your choice... but personally - I wouldn't, well definitely not a new one unless it was a mega mega bargain, and in CB with KIWI + hardtop... ;o)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I owned a 1997 e36 M3 sedan, estoril blue, mint condition.

I loved that car.

My best friend bought it from me, and I was deciding between the e46 M3 and the e39 M5. Each has its pluses and minuses. I do miss the e36 handling, but the power of the e39 M5 is awesome. I recently added H&R Coilovers and that made me much more pleased with the handling capability and feel.

I am happy with my choice of the M5 over the M3.

·
Registered
64 Posts
nothing beats the growl of the M5 v-8. Its simply not there on the M3 and you'll notice the difference every time you start it.

You will enjoy smg to test with but in every day driving you'll wish you had that 6 speed again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input. I can see I'm not the only one that struggles wth these issues. When it comes down to it even though I want an m-3 there is no way I can bring myself to part with the m-5. So my only choice is to just accept it and wait for the new m-5 or m-3. The only other option would be to get rid of the 996tt & get an m-3. Sounds bizarre but I don't drive the porsche that much as I'm always afraid to leav it most places & always worried about parking lot rash. I don't feel the same about the m-5 although I'm pretty careful with it. again thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went from the E39 M5 to a E46 M3 and don't regret it at all.I can't say one bad thing about the M5 as it does everything you ask of it.The past few summers I've increased the amount of lapping days at the track that I attend so the M3 suits my needs better.I feel they are both great vehicles and whatever you decide you can't go wrong. :cheers:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Before, I bought my M5 I also was considering to buy 04' or 03' M3. Have test driven both and to me the M5 is much better car than smaller M3. I do not track my car, and for daily driver M5 is more comfortable with more low end torque.

·
Registered
897 Posts
musclecar6 said:
I am about to trade my 2003 m-5 for a new m-3 with smg. My dilema is a I previously had an e-36 m3 & miss the unique way the m-3 connects to thr driver & road. My question is has anyone here traded their e-39 m-5 for an e-46 m-3 & later wished they hadn't. Any input will be appreciated Thanks.
Yes. In a fit of post 9/11 depression I traded a 2001 E39 M5 for a 2002 E46 M3. While the M3 was fun for a while, I longed for the M5. After a few months I got myself back into an 2002 M5 and never looked back. My main reasons were as follows:

(1) The M3 lacks the go-right-now at any RPM torque of the M5. The M5 engine is awesome,
(2) The M3 ride is stiffer with less body lean. For the everday drive it was a bit much for me. I guess I am getting old.
(3) I have kids and occassionally bring them in the M. The lack of back doors got old quickly.

The bottom line is that the trade offs that make the M3 a bit more nimble and connected to the road are more than I was willing to accept. The M5 has a split personality. It has a magical suspension that is compliant for the leisurely drive and has high limits that make it a blast to toss around. Did I mention the engine...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CEC said:
Yes. In a fit of post 9/11 depression I traded a 2001 E39 M5 for a 2002 E46 M3. While the M3 was fun for a while, I longed for the M5. After a few months I got myself back into an 2002 M5 and never looked back. My main reasons were as follows:

(1) The M3 lacks the go-right-now at any RPM torque of the M5. The M5 engine is awesome,
(2) The M3 ride is stiffer with less body lean. For the everday drive it was a bit much for me. I guess I am getting old.
(3) I have kids and occassionally bring them in the M. The lack of back doors got old quickly.

The bottom line is that the trade offs that make the M3 a bit more nimble and connected to the road are more than I was willing to accept. The M5 has a split personality. It has a magical suspension that is compliant for the leisurely drive and has high limits that make it a blast to toss around. Did I mention the engine...
Hi CEC,
I came to the same conclusion after driving a new m-3 yesterday & really thought about actually switching to the M-3. You mentioned exactly what I discovered & that the m-3 doesn't have the torque on demand that the M-5 does. I agree the M-5 is the way to go for now. It will be either m-5, m-3, m-6, in the next generation coming up. Exciting stuff ahead. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
CEC, right on. Exactly why my M3 'vert is a second car and the M5 is still with me.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
musclecar6 said:
I am about to trade my 2003 m-5 for a new m-3 with smg.
Like others who commented before, went down that road too. Had a great E39 that I loved but wanted more performance.

Then the E46 M3 came out and I thought it would fit the bill. Test drove one and as luck would have it also drove a very early E39 M5 here in Germany.

Both were great, had a hard time justifying the 20K difference in price. Gave my dealer a deposit for the M3 and left.

Went back and test drove the M3 again several months later, looked more at the things my E39 had that I wouldn't have in the M3. Price ruled again, but the E39 looked so good I changed the order to a 540/6.

The M3 was great; four doors were better. The M3 rode stiff and made strange sounds as it changed with throttle applications; the E39 sure was comfortable on those long drives that I frequently made at the time.

A close friend took delivery of his 540 later that fall and I had to go for a ride. Hmmm, nice but not really that much faster than my 6 speed six model except between 60 and 110 mph.

That does it, need both the features of the E39 and the speed of the M3, went back to the dealer and ordered the last 03 M5 he delivered that year.

No regrets.

Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts