BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Some guy is willing to trade his 2001 Imola Red M3 convertible (36600 miles) for my 2000 black M5 (34400 miles). Do u guys think its worth it?? His car is pretty much standard (6 speed and no navigation). Should I ask for trade + some cash?? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Doesn't sound like a fair trade to me.. you should definitely be getting some cash your way. You've got some pretty low miles on your 2000. I'm getting close to 46,000.. delivered April 2000.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Scream like Tom Cruise ::: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla:

SHOW ME THE MONEY :blabla: SHOW ME THE MONEY :blabla:

:1: :biggrin: :1:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A convertible ? For the fact that they are not as safe as a sedan and you cannot take them on the track, I would not get a convertible. Plus the M5 is much more car for the money. He would have to come up with a fair amount of cash to be deemed worthwhile IMO.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
b0lingball said:
Hi,
Some guy is willing to trade his 2001 Imola Red M3 convertible (36600 miles) for my 2000 black M5 (34400 miles). Do u guys think its worth it?? His car is pretty much standard (6 speed and no navigation). Should I ask for trade + some cash?? Thanks for your help!
There are 4 problems with owning a convertible performance car:

1) They have too much chassis flex, squeaks and handle sub-par. The roof assembly is a structural member and stiff M suspension only amplifies shake & twist.
2) They are not safe to drive at 100% capability without installing an ugly, intrusive 6pt roll bar, so the M technology is a waste. They are unsafe in rollover and they literally fold in half on hard frontal impact.
3) Nobody that's serious about performance will buy it, so resale suffers.
4) amateur automotive enthusiast clubs will not allow you to participate in track events because the car is not safe to drive fast.

Folks who buy convertible Porsches learn this because they are even harder to sell. If handling, interior wind/road noise, vibration & safety are non-issues, I see no redeeming reason to buy BMW...much less M. Of course, that's just me. I hear the convertibles take a good coat of wax........

·
Banned
386 Posts
no way... get some cash....
Actually I wouldnt trade my M5 for a M3... NEVER!

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Similar miles - the m5 was 80k out the door new and the m3 was 60k. so you start with 15-20k difference and give the m3 some benefits for 1 year newer and no m3 for 2 years.

still the m5 is a m3 w/ 2 extra cyclindars, 2 doors etc. you would think of asking 5-10k for the trade depending on how bad you wanted to swap

think this way - most cars including bmw you have to pay up for horse power and extra room.....right? 325 vs 330, or better yet 528- 540. got to pay up for more hp and room.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am curious to know if you don't mind why you are even considering this trade?
M3 convertible for a M5?:nono: Don't do it! No way! You will regret it! Plus you have a really nice M with really low miles for a 2000 (34K). Chaulk up this thought of yours to temporary insanity :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Another thing to consider is the 01 M3 had engine woes, I believe the build was October - February. BMW was offering extended warranty rather than recall.

I would check this out

good luck

al

·
Registered
911 Posts
As someone who has had an '00 M5 and now drives an '04 M3 here's what I think what I love and hate about my M car experience.

M5

Pros:
-V8 Sound
-Instant torque
-4 doors
-rigid body frame
-fold down rear seats
-well balanced

Cons:
-My '00 ate tons of oil.
-SES light arbitrarily coming on.

M3

Pros:
-smaller size
-surgical handling
-topless driving
-high revving engine (i like the challenge of working the engine to keep power accessible)
-feels more like a sports car (subjective)

Cons:
-V6 sound (i've added the rasp-x pipe and kelleners exhaust to compensate, and it sounds great until I meet up with BostonRocket and hear his V8... :( )
-high revving engine (the "challenge" aspect I mentioned above can get on my nerves sometimes especially after being spoiled by the M5's V8)
-you can feel the added flex inherent to a convertible
-cramped rear seats
-wind noise with top up (gets annoying on long trips)

All in all, both cars are wonderful machines. Sure the M3 convertible is not a car you would want to track, but unless you plan on tracking your car this is a non-issue. And besides, if you're in the US, like me, where can you really use your M car to its fullest potential (apart from a track)?

I would suggest going down to a dealership and test driving the M3 convertible top up and top down if you haven't done so already. As for me, I like my M3 but I think it's more of a cool second car to have next to the M5. I just miss the V8 too much and the extra utility of having 4 doors.

Now if I could replace my M3 engine with the S62 V8, that would be something!

Just my 2 cents.

POW!

ALX

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
M5 Fever said:
Another thing to consider is the 01 M3 had engine woes, I believe the build was October - February. BMW was offering extended warranty rather than recall.

I would check this out

good luck

al
YES!!!! I forgot to mention this issue. These build dates are avoided like the plague. The factory fix is a bandaid because scored cranks are not replaced. They throw new bearings in it and button it up (yuk).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I owned a 2002 M3 convertible (recalled Dec 01 build) equipped exactly like the one you are considering. After I drove it for a couple of months I traded up to an 03 M5 and have NEVER REGRETTED my decision. FYI, from my own personal experience my M3 appeared to be a target for anyone who resented the fact that BMW's may represent a higher standard of living/income level than their own. My roof was slashed and my driver's door was keyed. After those experiences I could never park my M3 in a public place. Keep your M5, it's a much better car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts