BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Lemans blue m5, an amazing piece of art, but one problem it seems to me that the car spends more time in maintenace than i have a chance to drive it. Dont get me wrong sitting behind the wheel and taking the beast on the highway is just like poetry in motion. Since i am just 18 the car is costing me a lot of money and my friend just purchased a smg m3 and both cars are amazing so i'm just asking for some advice if you were in my shoes would you sell the m5 and get an m3......... let me know what you would do

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Having driven both and being 31, I wouldn't sell my M5 for an M3. Space, 4 doors, torque, and sleeper.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ve had two E46 M3, smg and stick before moving on to the beast. Would I go back? I would, for a track or second car but I wont replace the M5 with it. Good luck, I wish I had the M5 when I was 18.

·
Registered
661 Posts
What make you think that an M3 is more reliable than your M5? If you want a lighter and a better handling car then you are in the right track. But if you are doing this to get a more reliable car than you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The M3 was always my goal (but among other things was simply not available in Mexico), now that I have both, as board member dens mentioned, unless it was mainly for track use, I need to admit that if I had to sell one, I'd sell the M3.

You should check the nature of the repairs and whether your car has more than normal problems. I know you'll find all the answers in the board.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are a bunch of possible factors - you said, "it seems to me that the car spends more time in maintenace than I have a chance to drive it". What is going on here?

1) Was the car abused before you bought it?
2) How do you drive the car? I can't imagine what might have happened to my M5 had I owned it when I was 18. I am not implying anything about your driving - I have two sons - one would treat an M5 like a queen - the other totalled his DINAN 3 series twice in 15 months.
3) Who services your car? A reputable local repair facility will give you some guidance as to what is going on too.

It would be kinda hard to go to an M3 once you have had an M5 - it could be done - I could do it if I had to. The M3 that would (perhaps) be more reliable maintenance-wise would (IMHO) be a low mileage e36 M3.

Good luck! Steve

mfizza said:
Just bought a Lemans blue m5, an amazing piece of art, but one problem it seems to me that the car spends more time in maintenace than i have a chance to drive it. Dont get me wrong sitting behind the wheel and taking the beast on the highway is just like poetry in motion. Since i am just 18 the car is costing me a lot of money and my friend just purchased a smg m3 and both cars are amazing so i'm just asking for some advice if you were in my shoes would you sell the m5 and get an m3......... let me know what you would do

·
Registered
96 Posts
For me, my age, car status symbol and exclusivity say the M5 over the M3 anyday.

I am 41 and I like the feeling that driving one of only 38 e39 M5s in the country gives me - only ever seen 1 other in the flesh at the dealers, never met another on the road. See lots of M3s but they look a bit of a young boy racer-ish car by comparison (IMO).
4 Doors is a great thing, the car blends in and the average person doesn't realise you are driving a super-saloon racing car.
I think if I were 18 again I would go with the M3, else people might think I was in Dad's car.
I think the M5 has a more mature image.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had nothing but reliability from my M5. Perhaps this car was abused or neglected before he got it. I don't think that I would do an M3 over an M5.....but that might be a factor of age. Both would be fun, but not at 18. Wow.......18 w/an M5...........I think that I was in my string of $200 Ford Cortina's and Renault 10s when I was 18. My, my how times change.

·
Registered
291 Posts
mfizza said:
Just another thought:

Want to be different than most cars on the road then keep the M5. Want to be different than most cars but common to most BMW owners then get the M3. Just my opinion. I love the E46 as well but whenever I do catch a glimps of a M5 even though I have one it brings a slight grin to my face. Whereas with the E46 it catches my eye for like 5 seconds and that is it, no matter how well equipped it is. I am 26 but when I was 22 I wanted a M3 but after getting a 03' 330ci for 2 years I went into the M3 and felt like it was not that different in the interior than my 03 330. Also my priorities changed after my wife and I had a son 2 years back and I still wanted the M3 but my wife was like no way you are getting a 2 door car with a new baby. So I made the choice of the M5 (sounds like a really tough decision huh ??).

My main feature about the M5 is the sleeper factor that some mentioned above. I always hear people say that car is too heavy there is no way it can take the E46 M3 but are amazed when it does hang it's own or can beat most sports cars on the street flat out. It is like they never saw it coming.

If you already have the M5 then keep it, get the issues fix and cleared up and give it your own touch for the future, like exhaust, chip etc. The M3 can be a second car for you and may be by then you can get the new E90 M3 when it rolls around.

Also if you love moding your cars a lot then the E46 M3 might be your best bet, even though you can fool around with the E39 the modding on those M3 are virutally endless and also very common, unlike the M5.

Late

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was loaned an E46 M3 while my M5 was in the shop (some doofus dinged it, no reliability problems here) and it was small, noisey and not a relaxing drive. On the positve side the steering was a little more direct and it felt slightly more nimble.

After a couple of weeks I began to enjoy hustling it around the lanes but when I got back into the beast I was absolutely stunned by how much better it was -- the torque is the biggest difference, handling ok for me, space, comfort, quietness. Everything really was better but especially the engine -- when you're used to nearly 400lb foot, that 260ish revhound M3 feels pathetic and even when you wring its neck it never really delivers.

Also my M5 is cheaper to run than the E36 3.2 (uk) M3 I used to own, servicing cheaper, fuel consumption not that much worse. The E46 engine seemed like old technology -- looks very much the same as the E36 3.2 litre lump with different vanos. It's got to be based on technology well over a decade old now which explains why it's so rough.

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts