BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMWCAR has an E60M5 write up as does Automobile. Motor Trend even has a E60M5 comparison to the E55. With all these write ups in car mags available on the newsstand, its getting hard to convince myself to give up my deposit for the new M5.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you have a locked in sales price right now for your e60, dont give it up.

I'm sure you have already weighed the pros and cons of a first year production car so thats not an issue. As long as you have a rock solid guarantee of the sales price now you will probably be real happy in a year and a half.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I'm locked in for MSRP on the first E60 M5 at my dealer. I'm feeling good about this, but not so good about the production delays I've heard reported. Sounds like we won't be getting the M5 until 'winter' here in Cincinnati.

That means I'll get my first driving experience on the 'winter setup'. Oh well, not really a big deal since I've got to break it in anyways.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Wolverine said:
I'm locked in for MSRP on the first E60 M5 at my dealer. I'm feeling good about this, but not so good about the production delays I've heard reported. Sounds like we won't be getting the M5 until 'winter' here in Cincinnati.

That means I'll get my first driving experience on the 'winter setup'. Oh well, not really a big deal since I've got to break it in anyways.
That raises the whole issue of the winter wheel/tire package that they'll put together. Didn't they have that all sorted out for the E39 M5 fairly quickly? Hopefully, they'll have it all sorted out for the new M5 well in advance.:)

Best regards,

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I've noticed BMW NA is a little slow with wheel/tire packages for winter M cars (when I picked up my 00 M5, they had NO idea). If you plan to use it as a daily driver, be aware of the difficulty of driving in such conditions on summer tires. My guess is you will need 19" wheels to clear the stock brakes.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Spiroman said:
That raises the whole issue of the winter wheel/tire package that they'll put together. Didn't they have that all sorted out for the E39 M5 fairly quickly? Hopefully, they'll have it all sorted out for the new M5 well in advance.:)

Best regards,
Spiroman:

It seems to me that it took BMW until the near end of the '02 model before they got everything worked out on the e39 M5.

IMHO ... All the little annual upgrades or improvements and all the little improved nuances i.e or you might wanna just call it ... the "Natural Growth of the e39 M5" really took about 3 years and then BLAM ... The Hammer FELL and then word started dribbling from the Corp. BMW to cutback on produciton ... and then ... Well ... We all know what ultimately happened to the E39 M5?! :sad3:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes, and despite repeated requests, they never did tell us what the correct tire pressure is for the car when its not loaded (the 00 cars said 44/48 when fully loaded up; I think the 03 says the same thing). There was also the confusion over what grade of oil: 5w30 or 10w60? To be early is to be a bit of a pioneer. Im sure tire rack can help though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
gra8fuldd ed said:
Spiroman:
It seems to me that it took BMW until the near end of the '02 model before they got everything worked out on the e39 M5.
The series are getting more complicated by design, and they will keep "perfecting" it until the production cycle is complete. Good if you can wait. For me, I enjoy it as it comes out new.

·
Registered
248 Posts
canysmc said:
BMWCAR has an E60M5 write up as does Automobile. Motor Trend even has a E60M5 comparison to the E55. With all these write ups in car mags available on the newsstand, its getting hard to convince myself to give up my deposit for the new M5.
I would consider waiting for the 2nd year after the M5 intro. The computers need time to get the bugs out.... Also, you have the best car already... 2001 M5. I am not sure if you can do any better...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I suspect in another 12 to 24 months, this discussion board will have numerous comments about the "bugs" - with few shades of grey - either the M5 is infested with bugs or not. It's a trade-off buyers must decide in the context of their own situation for themselves. I'm getting the M6 as soon as it's available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts