BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would I regret if trade my 99 540 6 speed for an 01+ M5?

Hello, everyone. My name's Matt, and I have a 1999 540 with the 6-speed transmission, which means it also has the M-package with those great M-seats, shadowline trim, and M suspension. The options include NAV and DSP. I've installed a short-shifter kit, a clutch stop, removed the CDV, and added a SuperSprint exhaust. And it's black on black.

It's a great car, but I've recently been itching for a 2001 or later M5. I like the idea of more power. Do you you think that I'd have any regrets if I traded my 540 for an M5?

Also, where's a good place to look for M5s, particularly for someone near the East Coast (specifically, Pittsburgh.)

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: What would I regret if trade my 99 540 6 speed for an 01+ M5?

Matt F said:

It's a great car, but I've recently been itching for a 2001 or later M5. I like the idea of more power. Do you you think that I'd have any regrets if I traded my 540 for an M5?

Matt
Other than the reduced size of your wallet, I'm sure you'll have no regrets.

·
10,458 Posts

you'll regret that you didn't do it years ago...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

Moatti,
you wrote the line I was going to write! I´ve got to get faster!

Matt F,
Just get the M5, you´ll simply love it!

David

·
Registered
12,952 Posts

DavidS said:
Moatti,
you wrote the line I was going to write! I´ve got to get faster!

Matt F,
Just get the M5, you´ll simply love it!

David
I agree with both!! If you like your 540, then the M5 will be like an 540 on steroids (in a good way! :1: )....As the commercial says, "Just do it"!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

Matt F,

Always trust your instincts when buying a car. When you find the right car you will just know it. At that point, start checking the car very carefully. These are some threads I think you may find useful.

Some things to check when buying an M5:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54416

Vanos:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54994

MAF:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54788

David

·
Registered
58 Posts

matt,

your only regret is that you will not of done it sooner. a nice place to find them is on the bmw website. i recently purchased one and found it there. (i was looking for a 03 cpo with <20k miles) you will have to be willing to travel living here in the midwest if you want to find a good one.

best of luck,

bryon

:cheers:

·
Registered
303 Posts

Matt, depends on the car/milage/options/warranty you are interested in. Buying a used M5 can be tricky...parts are generally more expensive than a "regular" 5-series...my .02.

-Alex

·
Registered
739 Posts

I traded in my 95 540 6 speed for a 00 M5. I thought my 540 was quick until I drove the M5. I never looked back and never had one regret. Do it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

You won't regret it, but you might also consider putting a supercharger on that 540 of your's.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I dont think you would regret anything, go for it, Josh

·
Registered
200 Posts

I have driven both and there shouldn't be an hesitation on the switch. M5 all the way! :M5rev:

ONEWAY: Was that you parked at the Pub Resturante in Fields Ertel all the way in the back?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Hi Matt,

We had a 1997 328i that we bought brand new. Loved that car. I sold my 1996 Mustang Cobra, and bought a used 1997 M3. As great as the 328i was, and I had no complaints whatsoever, the M3 was much better. It was basically better in many aspects, and I can think of no negatives. Plus, since I bought it used in 1999, it was cheaper than the new 328i.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wow. Thanks to everyone for their responses.
In particular, thanks to DavidS for the helpful links.

My biggest concern is that it will take around $30,000 to $40,000 to go from my 540 to the M5, depending on M5 model year. That's a lot of money for a car that looks a lot like my current car!

It's also money that could go towards a new M5, M6, Mercedes AMG, upgrading my 540, or to some other car. Something that would be a lot newer, at least to me.

Do you know what I mean?

·
Registered
12,952 Posts

Matt F said:
Wow. My biggest concern is that it will take around $30,000 to $40,000 to go from my 540 to the M5, depending on M5 model year. That's a lot of money for a car that looks a lot like my current car!

Do you know what I mean?
$30k to $40k PLUS your car?? I don't think so....Check recent discussions (this week) about car prices and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Nice 01's in the mid to high $40's. I would guess ( and it is only a guess) that you are looking the neighborhood of $20k plus your car (either as a trade or sell outright if buying M5 privately). Check values for 540 and M5 and see...
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
312 Posts

Here in Chicago, one of the dealers offered

Year: 2001
Make: <!-- DNT -->BMW<!-- /DNT -->
Model: <!-- DNT -->M5 <!-- /DNT -->
Body: <!-- DNT -->Sedan 4D <!-- /DNT -->
Exterior Color: Anthracite
Interior Color: Black
Mileage: 36,623
Engine: V8 5.0 Liter
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
DriveTrain: RWD
Stock: p5647
VIN: WBSDE934X1BZ98470

to a friend of mine with a 330xi trade in (6 speed, dinan mods) for $20k.

http://www.cdmdata.com/cdmdigitallot/VehicleDetails760.asp?DealerID=2379&vin=WBSDE934X1BZ98470&dID=2379

·
Registered
7,564 Posts

gsfent said:
$30k to $40k PLUS your car?? I don't think so....Check recent discussions (this week) about car prices and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Nice 01's in the mid to high $40's. I would guess ( and it is only a guess) that you are looking the neighborhood of $20k plus your car (either as a trade or sell outright if buying M5 privately). Check values for 540 and M5 and see...
Regards,
Jerry
I think wholesale value for a '99 540i/6 in excellent condition is around $13k right now, so he's not too far off. If the mileage is much over 100k, then it would be worth less than 13k I would imagine. Private party selling might get 17k or 18k for a primo one-owner, low mileage car.

You won't regret it, regardless of the delta to trade up. You're probably looking at right around $30-34k additional to get a nice low mileage 01 after selling yours. I had a 2002 540i/6, and I used to think there wasn't that much difference between it and an M5...until I drove the M5. :blink: I owned both cars for a few months, and there is a dramatic difference. The 540i always felt like a dog when I drove it after driving the M5. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Matt: having owned an M5 for five years (and planning on owning for a long time), and having driven a few 540i's, I am not sure the performance difference is worth the money you would have to spend, especially if your 540 is in good shape. Bragging rights, however, are another matter, and rarely conform to financial realities.

Steve

·
Registered
606 Posts

TurboCarrera said:
Matt: having owned an M5 for five years (and planning on owning for a long time), and having driven a few 540i's, I am not sure the performance difference is worth the money you would have to spend, especially if your 540 is in good shape. Bragging rights, however, are another matter, and rarely conform to financial realities.

Steve
Not sure what this means, but, there's quite a performance difference between a 540/6 and an E39 M5. A good friend had an 01 540/6 and he absolutely loved the car until last summer, when he test drove an 02 M5. He turned around and sold his 540 two weeks later (although he never bought an M5, he bought a nice condo instead). There is no question about the performance difference.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts