BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been out and about, roads are dry, if not alitlte cold (9 degrees) no ice or anything, (plenty of grit on the roads)

Problem is slowly moving away from the traffic lights, and then push the gas pedal alitlte harder in 2nd gear, the car just seems to lose traction at the rear end and then slip, slide.... wheels spinning etc... easing off the gas, the car straightens itself out again.

Have a fair amount of tyre tread left (4mm) on the rears (275x35x19's).

Tried it with Traction control (DSC) on and off and marginally better with it on, but surely there must be another way of getting the wheels to hook up without losing traction so easily... very annoying if ya trying to put alitltle distance between friends :M5thumbs:

Would a EvoSport/RD rear diff make any difference in this situation?? or perhaps uprated Transmisison or Rear Diff mounts??

Thanks for any info
Tin

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greg said:
try lowering your rear tire pressures......
ah, interesting, thanks Greg, will give that go.. think I have them set at 34psi allround..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tin, the evosport diff will greatly help. I think Elevens did a write up when he got his.
With the Evo diff. you can spec out the different lockups.
I got my 3.45 diff months ago and am very pleased, the changeing of both lockups (static&dynamic).It did help with tire spin., almost so that it feels down on power ,after being used to spin all the time after doing headers.
With the 3.45's 1st does spin too easily but 2nd some and 3rd not to much anymore.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
tin...as greg suggested, tire pressures..

as elevens suggested the diff...

also you have to remember that the tires that you are using are getting near their glazing temp where they become close to useless in cold weather, even without ice or snow...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
i think you may be hitting the trottle improperly, i don't seem to have that problem even in first, sure i can make it spin, but i can get traction.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
also you have to remember that the tires that you are using are getting near their glazing temp where they become close to useless in cold weather, even without ice or snow...
Actually that could be the case, as its been the first time in a week I've driven the beast.. could have been just cold tires..
BTW: I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3's which are very good in the wet and dry.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The tires are either several years old, and have lost their grip, or it's just too cold for the rubber you are running. I have fresh PS2s on a Dinan S2, and they slip much more easily in 40-F weather - will break loose if I floor it in 2nd or 3rd - than in 60-70 F ambient temperature. Still way better than the 3 year old Dunlop 8080Es, at the point where they were replaced.

Get a little heat in the tires and they will stick better. Also, the engine makes more power when the air is cold.

Regards, Dick Roberts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts