BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a bit of a common fault but I'm getting fed up with replacing the front ABS/TRACTION CONTROL sensors and everytime one goes faulty you end up driving with no Traction control which is real dangerous especailly in the wet!! Probably a stupid question but, is there any way of doing away with these sensors and having the traction control working ok?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sudesh Sharma said:
<SNIP> Probably a stupid question but, is there any way of doing away with these sensors and having the traction control working ok?
No. The sensors feed wheel speed information to the traction control computer so it knows which wheel(s) is/are slipping. If it doesn't know what's going on with the wheels it can't intervene to help correct the situation.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I'm sorry you're having the trouble - but I am unaware that this is a common fault. You're the first failure of the wheel speed sensors I can remember hearing about on this board.

Have others had the problem as well? Is this perhaps related to harsh winter environments?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
greg said:
I'm sorry you're having the trouble - but I am unaware that this is a common fault. You're the first failure of the wheel speed sensors I can remember hearing about on this board.

Have others had the problem as well? Is this perhaps related to harsh winter environments?

It´s a climate thing. The magnetic hall sensors are moulded into plastic, but moisture get in where the cable enters the moulding.

I´ve been lucky so far, but this sensor problem is not uncommon in Sweden.

David

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. It is a common fault over here. I suspect the climate we have is probably a major factor also the bad roads would have something to do with it too. But I always find that its only the front sensors that seem to go from time to time??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts