BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
1990 era Volvo shims are identical, 1/4 the price. I personally find that a blast of compressed air works better than a magnet, to free the shims from the oil-film bond. Make sure that you have a rag over the timing chain gap, to prevent a flyaway shim from heading downwards!

So, um, Tony....looks like you'll be having a cargo jet to salvage soon? Landing with no rear gear deployed probably makes a mess, huh?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
So, um, Tony....looks like you'll be having a cargo jet to salvage soon? Landing with no rear gear deployed probably makes a mess, huh?
Hi Chris

The landing gear was down but they hit the runway so hard it broke the left hand main gear off and collapsed the right hand gear.

https://youtu.be/bUJwR7Xhc7E

The cargo was 15 tons of fuel in drums , they were lucky boys. Hollywood would have had a mushroom cloud on the runway.

I've been to that airport 3 times now. It's becoming a graveyard for aircraft. It's a short (for B737) runway in the Papua Highlands (5,400ft) surrounded by mountains with no instrument approach aids. All flights are supposed to be VFR (visual flight rules). There's no road access, the only way in or out is by aircraft. Wamena is the last 'big' airport in that region. After that it's Cessna Caravans and Pilatus Porters up to the real jungle strips.

https://youtu.be/gYY9s8KKDDs?t=30s

If you look closely at this video you can see the 737 break out of cloud at 5 sec at about 150 to 200ft not lined up with the runway and a little bit high. He tried to turn and dive at the runway and didn't get the sink rate under control before touchdown. The 737-200 cargo is about half a plane length into the runway zone as well , he's not supposed to be that close to the runway

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
GA25280 is now owned by Djoko 'Bobby' Roespinoedji, he also owned macao blue unit with alcantara interior.
GA25331 has changed owners again , first it was with Taffy (bluebiturbo), then Jacob (Jacob_Seattle) and then I bought it a year ago. Still sitting in Jacobs garage as I haven't stopped travelling :-(

101 - 110 of 110 Posts