BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done tons of searching with no conclusive answer. I've reached a few conclusions.

- Run 245/40 front and 275/35 rears on stock wheels(more options)
- Run 255/40 front and 285/35 rears on stock wheels(fewer options)

- Buy a set of 18's, Apex arc8

Preferably I want to run my stock wheels...I know they aren't forged but I don't plan on tracking the car a lot.

Can someone help me with some options?

Running a smaller width will give me a stiffer sidewall. Can I run 245/35? Or 255/35?

I can't find anything...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping you'd respond Hasan. I know you've done a bunch of testing on the stock set up. Are those the tires you'd recommend?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will 255/35/19 fronts and 285/35/19 rears be bad to run? Will it mess with the speedo and or throw the traction control haywire? I'm looking at re-71r's in that size.

·
1,553 Posts
FYI I ran 275/35/18 on apex arc8's all around. Fronts will need 15mm spacers. Oh and I had BFG R1s which run WIDE, def much wider than a street 275/35/18. I think most R tires are like this tho.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Will 255/35/19 fronts and 285/35/19 rears be bad to run? Will it mess with the speedo and or throw the traction control haywire? I'm looking at re-71r's in that size.
No. You shouldn’t have a problem. You can always turn off your TC, too. From memory, the high banking at Autoclub did mess with my e39 TC, but never with my e60.

Ive never concerned myself about any speedo error — especially at the track.

At the track, I’m watching my tach and temps, not my speedo.

Have fun!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. You shouldn’t have a problem. You can always turn off your TC, too. From memory, the high banking at Autoclub did mess with my e39 TC, but never with my e60.

Ive never concerned myself about any speedo error — especially at the track.

At the track, I’m watching my tach and temps, not my speedo.

Have fun!
Thanks! I don't think I'm quite ready to take TC off yet. I've decided to go with some Federal RS-RR's in 245/40 and 275/35. Not a bad price $400 out the door. I heard they are ridiculously loud though, but won't be an issue since I don't daily the beast. I've rode on these federals on some other track mobiles, but nothing this high powered. Hopefully, they work out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Testing to see if tires post.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Link not working :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I was hoping you'd respond Hasan. I know you've done a bunch of testing on the stock set up. Are those the tires you'd recommend?

The stock tyre size is already quite wide for the wheel width. Those are the tyres I would go for if I was not going semi slick. They perform exceptionally well on the track.

Make sure you have a lot of camber both front and rear. Otherwise, you will destroy the outer walls of the tyres very quickly.

I always felt that 34 to 36 psi hot air pressure worked best for me.

Good luck and safe racing

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The stock tyre size is already quite wide for the wheel width. Those are the tyres I would go for if I was not going semi slick. They perform exceptionally well on the track.

Make sure you have a lot of camber both front and rear. Otherwise, you will destroy the outer walls of the tyres very quickly.

I always felt that 34 to 36 psi hot air pressure worked best for me.

Good luck and safe racing
Do you think I should increase the stock camber?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice. I’ve heard good things about Federals.
I ride on them with my golf, they are decently sticky, and well priced! I'll report back when after the track day on may 31st thunderhill.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you running stock front suspension? If so the outer shoulders will take some serious beating. Camber alone may not enough, coilovers seem to be the best solution.
I'm running stock suspension. I was hoping to get a feel for the car first on the track before investing into more mods. More like spirited driving as opposed to trying to Apex each corner like a mad man.

I'm not a really skilled track rat. Just once or twice a year.

Also could someone enlighten me on index load rating. The federals are 98w XL front and 96w rear. The gawr is 2400/2800 f/r. Does that mean the tires are fine? I know the rears are 1565 per tire, so 3130 total for the rear. Is that okay? Should I mess with the tire pressure? I think America tire company said 99y is stock.

·
Registered
929 Posts
My suspension shop grinded out the holes of strut plates in the body to get more camber
Apparently that used to be in dinan instructions

Monoballs yes!
And sways!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts