BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Nah, full send on the M5, it's far from stock so it's fun on track. E36 is quicker, but flogging the boat around is fun in its own way.

And yeah, the euro S52 did have ITBs and more HP. It wasn't too far off the S54 actually.

For the E36, I'm beginning to think it's tune related.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can't wait to get back out on the track. I did a couple days at Sonoma and Thunder Hill about 6-7 years ago in my e90 335. I've since added a '97 M3 coupe that I've been working on to refresh for track use. Have a fresh S52 on a stand in the garage I need to find time to do the swap (first time I'll do my own swap!). Already put in some Bilstein/Eibach spring/struts, UUC front bar, poly FCAB and RTAB's. UUC full short shift setup w/ the solid selector rod....very nice upgrade. Picked up a Dinan stage 4 w/ bigger maf, throttle body, intake and 3.5 fuel pressure reg, M50 manifold. Mishimoto rad and coolant reservoir. Spal fan.

Car is SO much fun to drive and feels like a feather after driving my M5 around lol. Bought the car with 260k on it and it still runs hard but it eats coolant hence the fresh S52... built it up with ARP everything, new lifters, fresh oil pump with the safety wire'd nut, fresh guides and chains. With the dinan setup it should be pretty healthy. Was on the fence about doing bigger cams but worried CA won't smog and I still want to drive it on the street.

Also picked up an '00 M5 w/ 80k last year. Super healthy. Stock suspension but I've gone through everything bushings/arms/ball joints/ diff etc. Next up is some kind of shock/spring or coilover combo. Have had my eyes on the PSS9 but Ground Control makes a nice setup and they're basically local to me. I've done quite a few upgrades/maint including the Grom bluetooth unit, ZHP shift knob, squared rear style 65's w/ PS3 rubber. Refreshed euro xenons. Shark 'euro' tune. Absolutely love the M5 and always look for an excuse to take it out...long drives are a total pleasure.

Love seeing these videos of my local tracks! New here but hopefully will meet some of you out at Sonoma or Thunder one of these days!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
S52 swap is pretty simple, have done a few in the year alone. It's a bit easier with the head off, but you can either lower the front subframe a bit, or move the front clip.

Nice list of mods, I highly recommend a faster rack. Picked up a new one from ECS (Atlantic Engineering) that's effectively the Z3 1.9L rack. 2.75 lock to lock, linear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
S52 swap is pretty simple, have done a few in the year alone. It's a bit easier with the head off, but you can either lower the front subframe a bit, or move the front clip.

Nice list of mods, I highly recommend a faster rack. Picked up a new one from ECS (Atlantic Engineering) that's effectively the Z3 1.9L rack. 2.75 lock to lock, linear.
Sorry you've had to do that swap so many times! That's a huge bummer. Hopefully this most recent one will be the last you'll have to do.

I've definitely looked into the Z3 rack... might make sense to do it at the same time as the swap. I already have the head torqued down so would prefer not to have to undo it again. I did strip out one of the head bolts when I first went to put thee head on. Made a stupid mistake of cleaning the thread on one of the holes with the wrong frigging tap lol. Picked up a sweet Big Sert kit from a guy on eBay. Got it all dialed and stronger than ever. Now I have a $350 kit sitting in the tool box I'll hopefully never need again ... painful mistake.

My plan for the swap was to pull the front end off the car to open everything up. I've watched a few videos of people doing it and doesn't seem too bad. Just worry about hooking everything back up correctly. Funny but the thing I hate the most is dealing with the intake manifold and the mess of vaccum and hoses underneath. Doing that M50 manifold was a total nightmare - hacked up my hands real nice under there lol.

Anyone know if bigger cams will pass smog in CA? I looked around and can't find anyone talking about this. Called VAC and they weren't sure. I'd love to get some VAC/Schrick cams and really open up that motor but not if I can't pass smog. Wish I lived in Florida.... CA is not friendly for this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
wrt to cams, not sure but since the test is still tail pipe sniffer I doubt anyone would even know the difference as long as it isn't super lopey...

Label every wire you unhook. You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I really like that steering wheel in nizmo's car. I wonder what besides an air bag light if there is any other issues? I no longer need radio controls ect.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I really like that steering wheel in nizmo's car. I wonder what besides an air bag light if there is any other issues? I no longer need radio controls ect.
Air bag light, no cruise control or radio controls. Tilt/telescoping still work :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks nizmo. I lost Tilt/telescope a whle back with the stock seat removel.
Mind sharing what hub and wheel that is?
I dissected my stock seat wiring to keep all those adjustments.

It's a NRG slim hub --> OMP spacer --> Sparco QR --> OMP Superleggero Wheel

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Made it out to Pacific today for a few laps. There was a new M5, a few e36/46, and this M2:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Nice. That M2 looked to be pulling on you on the straights? Driver didn't look very experienced... The M2 should have out handled you in the corners too. They slowed down too much and didn't take the best lines from what I could tell in my internet armchair. :)

How long is that track? It looks like a fun one! Also what gear/speed do you hit on the long straight?

I'm looking forward to springtime and warm weather so I can get back on the track. The e39 just needs some maintenance and the 3.45 diff swapped back in. I will also take my F10 M5. Ran it once last season just to check it out. Definitely need race brake pads as the stock brakes faded pretty quick. The track closest to me is very tight and technical, lots of braking. I'll be buying pads and rotors before I take it again. The bright spot is that the cooling system on the F10 is incredible. Oil and coolant temps stayed just a little higher than normal driving. I couldn't believe it. Makes sense though since the car has like 800 radiators. LOL.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The M2 pulled me uphill out of turn 6 but on the straight, it didn't have anything on me. My brakes were getting toasty so I would back out of it a little before the end of the straight. I'm pretty sure I have more experience, and a cheaper car makes your balls bigger too.

2.25 mile track that is a ton of fun but you better not go off most everywhere. I can hit 140 in 5th if I keep my foot in it and have fresh brakes, but I typically don't track this car. Looked like ~1:40 lap in this video, the 996t I use more regularly cuts 10 seconds off that.

I've looked at the F10 as a DD for a while, especially now that they're a bargain.
How long have you had yours?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The M2 pulled me uphill out of turn 6 but on the straight, it didn't have anything on me. My brakes were getting toasty so I would back out of it a little before the end of the straight. I'm pretty sure I have more experience, and a cheaper car makes your balls bigger too.

2.25 mile track that is a ton of fun but you better not go off most everywhere. I can hit 140 in 5th if I keep my foot in it and have fresh brakes, but I typically don't track this car. Looked like ~1:40 lap in this video, the 996t I use more regularly cuts 10 seconds off that.

I've looked at the F10 as a DD for a while, especially now that they're a bargain.
How long have you had yours?
I've had mine about a year and a half; put roughly 22,000 miles on it in that time. (car has 72k on it now) I found myself a 6 speed car and love it. It's no replacement for the e39... it's just better in different ways. Newer, tighter, quieter, better tech obviously. It's been reliable too. Steering/suspension parts are well designed and last a long time. Some typical BMW electronic issues - the B&O amp died and the driver's door soft close motor stripped out. Otherwise I've only done basic maintenance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I went out earlier in March to Pacific again in the M5 for a little fun. Poor all-seasons are getting toasted:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yea, I need to ditch the mufflers, the car is so calm and uneventful on the track so I turned on the radio.
Need one of those mics to get more sound

21 - 37 of 37 Posts