BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there have been a couple requests for more video and I like seeing other tracks/people in similar cars, I figured we could get a track video thread going.
Maybe there already is one here but I didn't find on w/a quick search, so put up your time having some fun out there.
Street racing idiot chit is fine with me (don't do it), I'll never be a politician either, just make sure you have a hard shell for whatever comes of it.
I got back into tracking a few years ago when I had a 540/6. Put in the M5 diff, then added Eibach sways F&R and Bilstein HD's, really don't need much to have a great time out there in this chassis.
These seem like really good cars for the practical/cost balance so long as you don't consider the weight too much of a deal breaker.
Look forward to hearing what mods people have on cars they actually take to the track, I may end up doing more seat time in my M5 and am all ears/right foot.

Chasing an e36 race car last Sunday:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
God I love it. Hope to be on your bumper soon.
Silly 3 series, hope they feel bad.
Would be great to see another M5 out there!
A 550 was out a couple weeks back and some guy used to bring his grey F10 out there, but mostly newer M2/4s over this year and always a few e36/46.
I still want to drive an E46, a couple friends have/had them and liked them a lot for the track.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
How about really at Sonoma? Audio was recorded with a potato, sorry in advance. First time here, lines were garbage...

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
As far as mods, car is a Dinan S2 (402 whp). PSS9s for suspension w/ GC camber plates (-1.7F, -2.0 R), Dinan front and rear sways, Syncro Desgin Works monoballs, poly diff / subframe bushings, Dinan rear wheels on all corners (275/35/18), StopTech Trophy Sport brakes (ST60 F / ST40 R) with Carbotech XP10 / XP 8 pads with 6/4 Ti backing shims, RBF660, OS Giken twin disc clutch, OS Giken 3.45 diff, and Recaro Sport Topline seats

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as mods, car is a Dinan S2 (402 whp). PSS9s for suspension w/ GC camber plates (-1.7F, -2.0 R), Dinan front and rear sways, Syncro Desgin Works monoballs, poly diff / subframe bushings, Dinan rear wheels on all corners (275/35/18), StopTech Trophy Sport brakes (ST60 F / ST40 R) with Carbotech XP10 / XP 8 pads with 6/4 Ti backing shims, RBF660, OS Giken twin disc clutch, OS Giken 3.45 diff, and Recaro Sport Topline seats
Nice driving, those are great videos. Thanks for the full Cal track tour!
What tires are you running?

Awesome upgrades you've done, I'm curious if you did the brakes all at once, or fronts then rear?
Had you run the track much with the car closer to stock?
I've run the Bilstein PSS's on the track on a 996 turbo and they worked pretty well if cranked all the way up, and were comfy on the street too.
How do you run yours and do you have a hole cut for rear adjustment, or ?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Nice driving, those are great videos. Thanks for the full Cal track tour!
What tires are you running?

Awesome upgrades you've done, I'm curious if you did the brakes all at once, or fronts then rear?
Had you run the track much with the car closer to stock?
I've run the Bilstein PSS's on the track on a 996 turbo and they worked pretty well if cranked all the way up, and were comfy on the street too.
How do you run yours and do you have a hole cut for rear adjustment, or ?
PS4s for tires in these videos. I never bothered with r comps, might be fun to throw some NT-01s on it once or twice, but that's what the prepped E36 is for now

Trophy's were installed in April 2014. It had regular ST-40s on it when purchased in 2006, with stock rear brakes. I never ran the car in the track in anything close to stock trim, but I've been on track with a few and the body roll is real...

The PSS9s have their adjust on the bottom of the tube front and rear, so you just have to jack the car up to change it. I run set at 2 F & R on track.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PS4s for tires in these videos. I never bothered with r comps, might be fun to throw some NT-01s on it once or twice, but that's what the prepped E36 is for now

Trophy's were installed in April 2014. It had regular ST-40s on it when purchased in 2006, with stock rear brakes. I never ran the car in the track in anything close to stock trim, by I've been on track with a few and the body roll is real...

The PSS9s have their adjust on the bottom of the tube front and rear, so you just have to jack the car up to change it. I run set at 2 F & R on track.
Sounds like you already have a proper track car to beat on, the M5 with your mods sounds perfect to me, I just don't want another money pit to start:)
Funny how you mention body roll, my neck was a little sore from so much roll when I was at the track.

I have a square set of 245/40-18 NT-01's I'll burn off this next spring for fun on track and am on the lookout for some Bermbo/ST brakes to help it there.
Nice to know on the PSS9's, the PSS10 adjusters I had on another car were on top in the rear, obvious hassle in the e39.

I'd crank those things all the way stiff for tracks as smooth as the ones you're running.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Ironically, the E39 has been ultra reliable, and is currently at 219,xxx miles. I'm on engine #3 this year on the E36 (the original M50 dropped two valves at 192K, my first S52 replacement had a catastrophic piston failure after two days at Laguna. Engine #3 gets broken in on Monday at Buttonwillow)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Track time certainly takes its toll on vehicles, I'm sure with regular use we'd find more weaknesses of the e39 M5 that rack up the cost to run them.
If you track the e36 regularly, it makes sense you'd have more repairs/problems. I've heard from a couple guys that run them hard/race them that rebuilding the engine is common/maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts