BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, thanks to you all for actually reading and following along with my second session of track adventures!!!

Okay I did it!!! Season two is complete!!!

I drove amateur DE events with BMW CCA (two chapters)and PCA, track time with F-Body Group aka Speedseekers and Midwestern Council of Sports Car Club (high speed Competitive AutoX Events and only one parking lot event—I miss my low speed buddies form last year) Got to meet up with about 5 or 6 M5 board members and/or owners at some of the events though—THAT WAS GREAT!! :cheers:

I drove mostly at Blackhawk in Rockton, IL-a two mile road course and Road America by Elkhart Lake, WI—a four mile road course. I ended the season being able to drive in all the advanced groups in all of the clubs/groups—I feel pretty privileged to have been able to have done that and really had to work persuading the big cheeses to put me in the advanced groups—had to act like I knew what I was doing, and it worked out great in every case--in other words, I didn’t hold any of the other drivers up J

My favorite highlights:

***Passing that too sassy Porsche driver in my first PCA event—I never saw him back again and went on to run with them two more times and found them t be one of the most laid back, nice clubs around.

***Graduating on from being held up by the Porsche mentioned above to being blocked by a Ferrari—OKAY, OKAY, it was an older one, but the dude still held me back for like 5 miles—aaargh.

***Having to figure out if I should brake for a squirrel running across the track at Road America—I was only going like 140 mph, but I still couldn’t resist the urge to lift and let the critter run safely by. Now after the second one, I wasn’t a quite as forgiving –NO, NO, I didn’t even get close to hitting him.

***Driving with sleet/ice falling on my face (I had my helmet shield up) this past Saturday at Road America while driving on R Compound tires—hey, I got lucky—it turned to rain a bit later-HA HA—all good practice!

***Being told by a guest instructor that I have excellent car handling skills, am fun to ride with and drive like a rally cross driver—I’m not sure if I should take that last one as a good thing or not—ANYBODY WANT TO GO FOR A RIDE WITH ME AND SEE? hiha hiha hiha

***My cracked rotor and corded tire—lessons in how to take care of my equipment—changing my brake pads 2X—I KNOW, I KNOW, baby steps and all that

***Getting to see the control room at Road Am last Sunday (anyone can go in with permission) to see the about 20 video cameras positioned all around the track that help keep tabs on all that goes on the track. Being able to review the computerized video from the day before that showed actually how that Z06 hit the wall at turn 5, ripping off the driver’s side off his car and giving the driver having two broken ribs and a punctured lung—HAVE FUN BUT TRY TO TAKE CARE OUT THERE PEOPLE.

THANKS AGAIN to all my board “mentors” who have helped me along and shared their stories/wisdom—PLEASE KEEP IT UP!!! I’ve been asked if I want to do wheel to wheel next year………………….

Anita :M5launch:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Anita said:
***Being told by a guest instructor that I have excellent car handling skills, am fun to ride with and drive like a rally cross driver—I’m not sure if I should take that last one as a good thing or not—ANYBODY WANT TO GO FOR A RIDE WITH ME AND SEE? hiha hiha hiha
Ooh, ooh, ooh! ME! I Do!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: TRACK SEASON WRAP UP:Should I Have Braked For Squirrels? Run In Sleet? Other Stu

Good to hear not only did you learn a lot, but you had a blast! Learning the finer points of car control has always given me a lot of confidence and pride, whether it is taking a corner full tilt or getting your grandma to her house without her getting car sick (to this day I am the only one not to get her car sick, so I think that is a compliment in the best form; not leaving peas and carrots on my dashboard). I'm glad you had a wonderful season, and I cant wait to hear about season 3!
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Re: TRACK SEASON WRAP UP:Should I Have Braked For Squirrels? Run In Sleet? Other Stu

Anita,

Congratulations for completing your sophomore year. One question, does your PCA allow non-Porsches in their events, or you also drive a Porsche?

Thanks.

CP

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Mrs_Struth said:
Ooh, ooh, ooh! ME! I Do!
It would be my pleasure!!!! Of course I'm not an instrutor or anything so you'd have to join me at one of the F Body events in April or Oct. to be able to hitch a ride. Ummm maybe I could hide you in the backseat of my M5 and take you out on a winter ice autocross :eek:oohhh:

BmwNut said:
Good to hear not only did you learn a lot, but you had a blast! Learning the finer points of car control has always given me a lot of confidence and pride, whether it is taking a corner full tilt or getting your grandma to her house without her getting car sick (to this day I am the only one not to get her car sick, so I think that is a compliment in the best form; not leaving peas and carrots on my dashboard). I'm glad you had a wonderful season, and I cant wait to hear about season 3!
:cheers:
Bren,
Thanks so much for your continued support/interest--Wish I could see YOU drive!! Your lucky grandma!!

chunpng said:
Anita,

Congratulations for completing your sophomore year. One question, does your PCA allow non-Porsches in their events, or you also drive a Porsche?

Thanks.

CP
Hey, great to hear from you again, and thanks!

As per yor question, I ran with the Chicago PCA at Blackhawk--they do not currently allow non-Porsches at their Road Am events and you have to be a guest of a member to run at Blackhawk (thanks Pete--glad you took a chance on me cocnsidering we never met before!). Milwaukee PCA also allows non-Porsches at their Blackhawk events too. Most clubs in general seem to allow non members to run with them at Road Am or wherever, after their members sign up first.

And no Porsche--I'm stuck on those BMW M's!

Anita

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're SOOOOO hooked. :)

BHF and RA are a blast, but try to get to Grattan Raceway outside of Grand Rapids, MI; it's a "semi-undiscovered" gem of a track for us midwesterners. The Audi group usually runs there in April and lots of Bimmers (mostly M3's) attend ACNA events.

Oh yeah, our rule of thumb is, if it's smaller than a dog, hit it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

ICONCLS said:
You're SOOOOO hooked. :)

BHF and RA are a blast, but try to get to Grattan Raceway outside of Grand Rapids, MI; it's a "semi-undiscovered" gem of a track for us midwesterners. The Audi group usually runs there in April and lots of Bimmers (mostly M3's) attend ACNA events.

Oh yeah, our rule of thumb is, if it's smaller than a dog, hit it.

I know, I know!!!!!!

Hey, I do hear people mention Grattan every now and then and they always say that you gotta try it. It is on my list!!! I also have heard very postive things about running with the Audi folks. To do an event with them is on my list too! If you can't tell, I've got a big list.

Now I just need to find a short cut to Michigan! Maybe when the lake freezes over. Then I could try Gingerman too. I actually have known people who have gone to one of those MI tracks in the winter and driven in the snow!

Okay what breed of dog are we talking about here :haha:

Thanks!

Anita

1 - 7 of 7 Posts