BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so next weekend I am going to go up to Buttonwillow for a day of fun in the sun hopefully.

So I am using this chance to change out my pads to some cool carbon pads ( i need new pads anyway).

But what do most of you guys do when going to the track.

I know to take everything that can move around out of the car. but any prep stuff you guys thanks are a must.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
go to a shop that does tech-inspections for race tracks.

In some racing circles, such as BMW CCA here in the National Capitol Region, it is required.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Just don't forget to do what some idiot did "NOT" do on the board several years ago, ......torque your wheel bolts and air your tires...so you don't loose a wheel or two.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
1.Change your fluids before you go. OIL, and Clean brake fluid, ect....
2. Take it to a shop or on a lift/jacks and check all your tie rods and wheel tire ect anything loose. Lift would be better just for inpection.
3. Check all fluids at the track before you run. tires air presure ect...
4. And this is most imporant no hot coffee in car while racing, and air up your [email protected] your going to have fun.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Mybe some track tires if you have them!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mybe some track tires if you have them!!
DITTO!!!!! In a 2 hour session here in Texas I burned through a set of Michellin PS2's that were about 5 months old. Just check all the normal stuff, undercarriage, suspension etc., and if you have not had your brake fluid changed in awhile its advisable as the brakes are going to get HOT! And lastly, ENJOY IT! You will be exhausted by the end of the day :byee55amg

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup I am sure I will be tired at the end of the day.

yup changing the oil in the engine and checking all the fluids a week before I go, I will do a visual inspection and then torque the wheels when I get to the track.

Glad to hear I don't have to do much.

Don't have track tires yet but I may look into getting a set depending on how many track days I do. I do know that tires are about the best bank for the buck improvement you can add for time improvement

Thanks guys

I am surprised nobody said rear facing video camera to take vids of all the cars at the track that day ;)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Check your wheel bolts between sessions.

Bleed your brake system with fresh fluid.

If you have low miles on your current oil, I'd just run that at the track and then do an oil change AFTER.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope just purchased the car so I want to change out the oil before i start playing,

also what type of fluid is best to replace for brake fluid

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Stay hydrated. Drink tons of water.

I'm usung motul rbf600 for my track days. Fantastic brake fluid. No boiling over for me in the ROval at Cal Speedway.

Have fun...I was looking at the same track day.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
nope just purchased the car so I want to change out the oil before i start playing,

also what type of fluid is best to replace for brake fluid
Oh, yes, definitely change it. It would probably be a good idea to change it again soon after the track day. At least, I would.

I also like Motul RBF600. We use it on all of our motorcycles including our track bikes as well as my G35.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Yes, don't just flush the brake fluid but replace with a brake fluid designed for track use. ATE worked fine for me when I tracked my M5. (I now use Motul or Performance Friction in my race car.)

If you wind up doing track events regularly, you will want to consider brake pads -- Pagid RS19 is the usual and good choice. (Don't waste thousands on a "big brake system" -- the car already has a big brake system. Pads will be a good investment though.)

The biggest challenge this car has is lack of front negative camber. Wearing tires is inevitable. Without camber plates, you can max out the front negative camber at about -1.75 degrees -- not nearly enough but much better than the standard setup. The downside is that you would need to realign after the track event or wear the insides of your tires much faster if you leave it.

Monitor tire pressures -- a critical detail. The goal is to determine a starting pressure that will result in hot pressures being where the tires perform the best. Depending on the tires, the track and how hard you drive, you can expect hot pressures (which you should measure immediately after coming off the track) to be 8-10 psi higher than cold pressures.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, don't just flush the brake fluid but replace with a brake fluid designed for track use. ATE worked fine for me when I tracked my M5. (I now use Motul or Performance Friction in my race car.)

If you wind up doing track events regularly, you will want to consider brake pads -- Pagid RS19 is the usual and good choice. (Don't waste thousands on a "big brake system" -- the car already has a big brake system. Pads will be a good investment though.)

The biggest challenge this car has is lack of front negative camber. Wearing tires is inevitable. Without camber plates, you can max out the front negative camber at about -1.75 degrees -- not nearly enough but much better than the standard setup. The downside is that you would need to realign after the track event or wear the insides of your tires much faster if you leave it.

Monitor tire pressures -- a critical detail. The goal is to determine a starting pressure that will result in hot pressures being where the tires perform the best. Depending on the tires, the track and how hard you drive, you can expect hot pressures (which you should measure immediately after coming off the track) to be 8-10 psi higher than cold pressures.
100% great advice! I added the camber plates just so I could get better "bite" and I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. The camber plates with -2 degrees (in front) and in the rear I have "tow in" with -1.95 degrees and it handles extremely well. In regards to the tire wear, well I am replacing then every 7-8k, but it's the price I'm willing to pay.

I also agree about the brakes, I run the car extremely hard and typically a very late braker and never had even a hint of brake fade.

Again, the comments about tire pressure is spot on. I typically "chase" the perfect tire pressure all day and the ambient temp and track temps and driving style are constantly changing. Once you get the car dialed in you will be surprised what 1 or 2 pounds can do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YEYEYEYEYEEEAAAAAAAAA I am excited. I have changing out the fluid with the ATE and putting in cool carbon brake pads. Since the event is this weekend I don't really have time for the camber kit but will keep it in mind for the future. Tire pressure for sure, it's suppose to be cold and then warm up to about 65 so it should be a great day at the track. ohh yea changing the oil as well.

so excited.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Don't forget to completely empty your car. Any extra stuff you have in the door pockets, center console, trunk, floor mats etc all needs to be removed. Do this at home before you leave, you don't want to pile all of that up while at the track. Make sure you bring plenty of drinks for yourself and some chairs to sit while you are in the paddock waiting on your next session. An easy-up popup tent is also really nice to stay out of the sun if you have one. You'll also want to bring some glass cleaner to make sure your windows are very clean both inside and out. You will also want to bring some blue painters tape so you can put numbers on your car. If you are doing a multiple day event and camping at the track (the only way to go in my opinion) I would suggest some old towels to put on your windows at night. This keeps all of the dew off of them so your windows are nice and dry for your first session. This is on top of what everyone has already said. If this is your first event, you will be hooked!

Remember that smooth is fast. If you can't hit the lines going slow on your warmup laps there is no way you can hit them while pushing the car. Use your final cool down laptop to also follow the perfect line and look for reference points for turn in etc. Also, don't let your ego prevent point-by's. There will be some crappy 4 cylinders out there that will be faster than you. You may rocket away down the straights but don't be one of those guys leading a train of cars behind you (they will be faster in the turns). This will get you black flagged and repeat offenders are typically asked to leave (this is typically a guy in a Porsche or Corvette, sorry if that offends anyone).

Take plenty of pictures and be sure to share your experience with us!

·
Registered
927 Posts
1.Change your fluids before you go. OIL, and Clean brake fluid, ect....
2. Take it to a shop or on a lift/jacks and check all your tie rods and wheel tire ect anything loose. Lift would be better just for inpection.
3. Check all fluids at the track before you run. tires air presure ect...
4. And this is most imporant no hot coffee in car while racing, and air up your [email protected] your going to have fun.
+1

Change out the following if you have time:

1. brake fluid Motul 600
2. Stainless Steel Brake Lines
3. Air Pressure start around 29 cold (try to get it around 36 hot)
4. good tires (rs3's or better)
5. suspension

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
damn, i want to do a track day in my car....but ummm 21" wheels w/ 25 profile tires....i dont think would work out well. luckily tho i just changed out all my fluids recently and installed stainless steel brake lines...there an MFEST track even this coming Sunday....if i get out there ill take her slow...or try to barrow some OEM wheels lol

have fun out there bro!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
damn, i want to do a track day in my car....but ummm 21" wheels w/ 25 profile tires....i dont think would work out well. luckily tho i just changed out all my fluids recently and installed stainless steel brake lines...there an MFEST track even this coming Sunday....if i get out there ill take her slow...or try to barrow some OEM wheels lol

have fun out there bro!

Chris, you must have some good friends if you can barrow wheels and tires for a track day!!hihaJust don't tell them your going racing!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1

Change out the following if you have time:

1. brake fluid Motul 600
2. Stainless Steel Brake Lines
3. Air Pressure start around 29 cold (try to get it around 36 hot)
4. good tires (rs3's or better)
5. suspension
Joe thanks for the heads up. you also reminded me at your shop. I also have your iphone holder! it worked great.

yup got it and all the advice helped. I have done a lot of track days with my other cars but this was my first with the m5 so I wanted to know about prep for that. but I loved all the comments as they are a great reminder. like the water and blue tape.

The track day was awesome. They put me with the enthusiast class. So the only cars in that class that has interiors were a gt2 with carbon ceramic brakes and an m3 with an ess kit. every other car was full on race prep. So once they guys started racing fender to fender I waived them by as I wanted to make sure I could drive home.

had an awesome time but I was on the track and it started to drizzle a bit and I went off at about 90 mph and the car was sideways in the dirt and I thought for sure it was going to dig into the dirt and flip ( as almost all cars do) but thankfully it didn't. But I did get a good 1/8th inch of dirt on my whole interior.

I will post up some videos and pics soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts