BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the itch is getting to be pretty bad, and I don't think I want to wait to track the M's until after I take the Advanced M course next Fall, so I'm looking to purchase a helmet.

I'm looking for advice/suggestions on type, brand, where to buy, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Well, the itch is getting to be pretty bad, and I don't think I want to wait to track the M's until after I take the Advanced M course next Fall, so I'm looking to purchase a helmet.

I'm looking for advice/suggestions on type, brand, where to buy, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:
Buy the best helmet you can afford and the one that fits you the best as well. I have had a Bell for the last 10 years and will be switching to a Stand 21 as soon as the new snell ratings are implemented for 2005.

The best thing to do is go and try on helmets without looking at the price. Find the one that fits the best and buy it. Make sure you go for an SA helmet vs. an MA helmet. SA is set up for automotive impacts and fire safety and MA are not.

Good brands:
Stand 21 (the best in my opinion fully customizable to the end user)
Bell
Sparco
Arai
Bieffe good value but a bit heavy
Shoei
Simpson

Jordan

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
I agree with Jordan that Stand 21 are the best.
That's what I'm getting too for next year.

Cheers,
/Johan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Sorry I'm late on this thread but I believe the M schools provide a helmet that you keep. I got one at the BMW F1 Experience. It is open faced but a good one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True. The Advanced M School provides helmet, etc. But I think I'll be tracking the cars before I take that course, so I'm looking for a helmet. I did try on some helmets yesterday at Sears Point while there for the BMWCCA event. I found a couple that I like, but I'm sure I can find them for less somewhere else...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just make sure that the helmet you try on your own head is the one you buy. Don't find the brand you want in a store and then buy it online. There are slight variations to the size of every helmet. This is what I have found in my experience. This does not apply to Stand 21 as this is a fully custom helmet and you can buy pad kits to taylor the fit for your head.

Jordan

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hey Jeff!

It was great meeting you at Infineon!

I bought a GeForce Hybrid - it's relatively inexpensive and I like the comfort of it. Now, to be fair, I didn't try on any helmets...I measured my head with the tape, did some research on the internet, found a few helmets - then found the one I wanted and went to get the best price (I didn't want to spend more than $200). I'm happy with my choice as I like to wear my sunglasses while on the track and the Hybrid gives me more "breathing" area so my sunglasses don't fog up.

Now, before I get slammed - I know you shouldn't go inexpensive when it comes to purchasing a "brain case" - I just wanted to make sure I was really going to go to the track a lot to justify the extra expense. Also, I am aware that if the airbag goes off and you are wearing sunglasses :cool: , you are guaranteed at least 13 stitches around the bridge of nose and eyes...but hey, you only live once! Just kidding - these were acceptable risks to me.

SCORPIO

·
Registered
244 Posts
all the helmets that have a Snell rating should be and are expected to be safe for their intended use. As helmets get more expensive you start paying fo features and more exotic materials.

For me lightweight is key especially if you are note using any head and neck restraint device ala HANS. The light the helmet the less momentum it will generate. This should not be a problem in a drivers school. However it is possible to have a major crash at a drivers school and sustain injuries. So if you can always buy the best safety gear you can afford.

Jordan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts