BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would share a couple of videos from this past weekends track event at Virginia International Raceway. Very rare to see an E39 M5 at track events, in the last three years, of 32 track days, I've only seen two others. The beast, with a few modifications, does very well as a track car. She has 177,000 miles and runs like she is fresh off the showroom floor.

VIR Full Course THSCC Sept 2014 Run Group Red Lap 2:15.10 BMW M5 E39 - YouTube

VIR-THSCC Sept. 2014 Run Group Red - Claude BMW M5 Bully Racing - YouTube

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6dEjsPWz74g" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Thought I would share a couple of videos from this past weekends track event at Virginia International Raceway. Very rare to see an E39 M5 at track events, in the last three years, of 32 track days, I've only seen two others.
Claude,

Wow, didn't realize so few showed up these days. I'm guessing one of those was Redshift on Patriot course earlier this year? He came out of hibernation just for that one event really since he sold his E36 M3 race car some years ago now.

You would have loved Oktoberfest 2005 which was held at VIR as a large group of E39 M5s showed up with one board member (Stoner) coming all the way from Texas for the event. I do recall there being four LeMans Blue M5s there including mine, but I don't recall the total M5 count.

What do you think about the fresh pavement and the additional pavement on the outside of turn 3 and oak tree turn? How is the visual now approaching oak tree turn with the tree gone? Nice driving, especially with that entry speed into the uphill esses and nice smooth inputs! What tires were you running?

Regards,
Chuck

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
what car camera system you running in your beast

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Chuck,

Yes, I met Redshift at VIR Patriot back in April of this year and he is one of the two I referred to. The new payment is awesome, wider and allows you to carry more speed into turn 3. Oak Tree is wider as well, I'm running a similar line as before with more track out prior to launching the car out on exit. As far as visuals in Oak Tree, the only one I was able to use was a fence pole.

I started the event with a new set of Hoosiers R6's that I heat cycled Saturday morning, then put my PSS back on to finish the day with. Sunday morning I put the R6's back on and they worked great. Cut a full 4 seconds off my lap times from Saturday.

I wanted to purchase another set of Nitto's NT01's which I've had great luck with, but they are on backorder and no one has stock.

I've been getting 30 heat cycles out of the NT01's on average, I don't feel I'll be getting that out of the R6's.

Claude,

Wow, didn't realize so few showed up these days. I'm guessing one of those was Redshift on Patriot course earlier this year? He came out of hibernation just for that one event really since he sold his E36 M3 race car some years ago now.

You would have loved Oktoberfest 2005 which was held at VIR as a large group of E39 M5s showed up with one board member (Stoner) coming all the way from Texas for the event. I do recall there being four LeMans Blue M5s there including mine, but I don't recall the total M5 count.

What do you think about the fresh pavement and the additional pavement on the outside of turn 3 and oak tree turn? How is the visual now approaching oak tree turn with the tree gone? Nice driving, especially with that entry speed into the uphill esses and nice smooth inputs! What tires were you running?

Regards,
Chuck

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what car camera system you running in your beast
GoPro mounted to my helmet in one and my iPhone with Harry's Lap Timer mounted to the windshield in the other. I've got another camera ATC Chameleon that I had mounted to the top of the car....it took both front and rear views as the as time. You can see a E36 full race/track car behind me for a few laps.

MUTE SOUND ON BELOW CLIP.....BAD WIND NOISE!!!

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qK7Bt6FDMUA" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Impressive to be dusting off the E36 race car like that. What are your top 3 favorite tracks?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impressive to be dusting off the E36 race car like that. What are your top 3 favorite tracks?

Virginia International Raceway, Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports Park.

I also like Carolina Motorsports Park, just an hour from my home.

Reactions: bimmerule

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
That's awesome Claude. Looks like fun. 177K miles and still screaming for more.

Reactions: CMBeamerM5

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Very cool! I'm especially impressed that you are tracking the car with 177K miles. Did you proactively replace the bearings?

Thanks for representing the E39 M5 faithful!

Reactions: CMBeamerM5

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool! I'm especially impressed that you are tracking the car with 177K miles. Did you proactively replace the bearings?

Thanks for representing the E39 M5 faithful!

No bearing issues, just have always maintained the car with regular maintenance. Never skimped on any repairs and always replaced parts in question.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Awesome! VIR is a track i need to try.

Harry's laptimer rocks, I have the obd adapter, 5hz gps and go-pros, it's amazing what a phone can do.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! VIR is a track i need to try.

Harry's laptimer rocks, I have the obd adapter, 5hz gps and go-pros, it's amazing what a phone can do.

I do like the Harry's lap timer, but I need to upgrade my iPhone, just not enough memory. I also have the OBD adapter and remote GPS as suggested by Harry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do like the Harry's lap timer, but I need to upgrade my iPhone, just not enough memory. I also have the OBD adapter and remote GPS as suggested by Harry.
Do you have any videos with the obd overlay? I haven't used it yet in my e39 m5, only in my older e36, i'm wondering if the e39 has more info displayed, it was only throttle and rpm for the e36.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any videos with the obd overlay? I haven't used it yet in my e39 m5, only in my older e36, i'm wondering if the e39 has more info displayed, it was only throttle and rpm for the e36.
No, not yet. I will be running Road Atlanta the first October, should have OBD video then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts