BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys.

Upon installing my coilovers i was going to change out the thrust arm bushes for powerflex items.

I have also thought about changing the track control arm bushes again for powerflex items.

The bush in item 12 here

RealOEM.com BMW E39 M5 FRONT AXLE SUPPORT/WISHBONE

Does anyone have any experience of changing these out, as in are they a similar scenario to the control arm ones - drill out old bushes insert new ones by hand?

Cheers

Jamie

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Timmay.

Did you push them out putting the weight on the centre steel "bush" and they popped out or did you have to find washers etc the exact diameter of the outer steel "bush" so the item didn't split at the rubber?

Thanks again dude

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
A socket on the outer edge would probably work best (with either a larger socket or a short length of tube behind the arm if you have a press or a vice).
If the rubber has deteriorated then it's likely to tear if you press it out by pushing on the central section.
Remember to have the car on its wheels before tightening the bolts.
Best of luck with the job.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Thanks Timmay.

Did you push them out putting the weight on the centre steel "bush" and they popped out or did you have to find washers etc the exact diameter of the outer steel "bush" so the item didn't split at the rubber?

Thanks again dude
You have to find the right size washers to catch the outer steel, the rubber just gives away if you try to us it to press out the bushing.

Remember to have the car on its wheels before tightening the bolts.
Best of luck with the job.
With the Powerflex bushings you do not have to preload the car to tighten them down. You can tighten everything up while it is in the air......

Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
524 Posts
great that means I too will have a correct size washer/spacer...............nice one

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts