BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Hopefully this wasn't covered somewhere recently that I missed. I am wondering what you guys in snow country do when putting different rims on your car for winter. I have a set of wheels with snows on them from another E39 that I think I will run this winter. They are from a 2000 528i. Other than being a pretty narrow tire (I think 225's) do you guys think they will work? What can I do about the TPMS? Can it be turned off during the winter rim months? - I guess that part I could find in that thick book called an owners manual...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I read the section in the OM about the tire system and its not helpful for what I'm looking for. I assume by page 82 you meant in an OM? But I could be wrong since it's not that page in my book.

Anyways, I think now it boils down to just one question for you guys:

Are there sensors strapped to the inside of the rims like some newer Ford/Chevy or does the system operate differently?

If this is covered on "page 82" somewhere on the site a little direction would be helpful.

Thanks,

and sorry for being an annoyance.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Our TPMS doesn't use sensors installed on the wheels tires but uses the ABS system to calculate things so you can put whatever wheels you want on your car.

The system measures the wheel speeds of all four tires and compares the speed of the diagonal wheels for the average speed. A rolling circumference value is calculated from the wheel speeds and this value is stored in the control module. In the event of pressure loss, the rolling circumference of the affected tire is reduced . With this, the wheel speed of the tire increases and the control module will detect the change and post the warning in the Check Control matrix display. An additional acoustical warning is sounded if the pressure loss is greater than 40%.

The tire pressure warning system is switched “ON” every time the ignition is switched “ON” and it can be switched OFF with the button on the lower dash to the right of the steering​
column.

After installing another set of wheels and adjusting tire pressure, fire your beast up and hold down the TPM button to the right of the steering wheeel till it shows set tyre pressure in front of you in the LCD strip. The system will calculate the new rolling circumference as you drive.

Issues:

Your 528i rims may or may not clear the stock rotors. They might if you use spacers.

What style are they and what diameter?

The tires need to be able to handle the load of the M5. Check the load rating. BMW recommends 235-45/17's for use in winter. That is what I use on the recommended Style 66 rims.

Cheers,

Scott

Reactions: technician117

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was exactly the information I was looking for. I didn't think about the rotor clearence. I plan to get them out of storage tonight to remember the style, rim size, and tire size. They were "stock" on a 2000 528i. But the chances are slim that there going to work.

Thanks again,

I will post my findings and any other relevant information.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The tires need to be able to handle the load of the M5. Check the load rating. BMW recommends 235-45/17's for use in winter. That is what I use on the recommended Style 66 rims.
+1 on 17's. I have 245-45/17 on all four corners with Blizzaks and it does really well in the snow. Not really good for a spirited drive, but I save those for the summer tires. If the 528 rims are 16's, they won't work, but if they are 17's they probably should work.

If they are too small, look for some used 17's suchas the ones sor118 mentioned, or go to Tirerack and purchase the tire/wheel packge. Worked with Luke 2 years ago and he was very helpful. Got new rims and tires for less than a grand.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
FYI, not all 17's will clear the stock brakes. You might need spacers for some 17's rims. Style 66's will work for sure. They look real nice too and showcase how large the front rotors really are as they practically fill up the entire void of the inner rim.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Well, the wheels I have deffinately won't work. They are 16's. So they are for sale and I am now in search of a decent set of wheels/tires or just wheels (I'll buy new snows)

What is the offset I should look for? Also, I think I want to use the 235/45R17's or 18's, I like having the narrow tire to cut through the snow. So I probably dont want a wheel wider than 9.0 or the tires might look goofy?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
My wheels are 8" wide but anything over 9" won't fit with 235-45-17's. With 9's it's marginal as the wheels may have a bit of a poke look and I'd be afraid of the tire separating from the wheel leaving you stranded in the cold somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts