BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the warning light EVERY time my tires get hot, say after 10 - 15 miles of driving in warm weather. Took to dealer today for other issues and they are claiming ignorance, can not find problem. Anyone else have this problem? Solution? Service Bulletin? Did the requisite search here, saw no common issue.

I told them to drive the car few miles tomorrow to see for themselves. I suspect a recurring problem because when I was at M Experience in SC early this year, saw same TPM Malfunction light on several M6s after hard driving. The instructors even forwarned us about the problem. Surprised dealer is in the dark (although guess not that surprised).

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
I get the warning light EVERY time my tires get hot, say after 10 - 15 miles of driving in warm weather. Took to dealer today for other issues and they are claiming ignorance, can not find problem. Anyone else have this problem? Solution? Service Bulletin? Did the requisite search here, saw no common issue.

I told them to drive the car few miles tomorrow to see for themselves. I suspect a recurring problem because when I was at M Experience in SC early this year, saw same TPM Malfunction light on several M6s after hard driving. The instructors even forwarned us about the problem. Surprised dealer is in the dark (although guess not that surprised).
In the M Experience I was told by the instructor they leave the TPM monitor sensors out of the tires because they change tires so much they don't want to be bothered with them and that is why the warning light stayed on.

I have a '07 M6 converible and don't have any problem with my TPMs. Have you ever reset them after making sure the pressure was correct?

From our manual
"Resetting system
Reset the system again after each correction
of the tire inflation pressure and after
every tire or wheel change.<
Resetting finishes during driving, which can be
interrupted at any time. When driving resumes,
resetting is continued automatically.
iDrive, for explanation of principle, refer to
page 16.
1. Press the Menu button.
This opens the start menu.
2. Press the controller to open the i menu.
3. Select "Settings" and press the controller.
4. Select "Vehicle / Tires" and press the controller.
5. Change to upper field if necessary. Turn the
controller until "TPM" is selected and press
the controller.
6. Start the engine, but do not start driving.
7. Select "Reset" and press the controller.
8. Select "Yes" and press the controller.
9. Start to drive.
The tires are shown in gray and "Resetting
TPM..." is displayed.
After a few minutes of driving, the set tire inflation
pressures in the tires are applied as the set
values to be monitored. Resetting finishes during
driving. The tires are shown in green on the
Control Display."

:cool2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noted, thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow if the dealer does not give me a definitive answer. Guess the SC M deal was just a strange coincidence where I tried to make something of nothing, not the first time for meouich.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

Dealer called this a.m. They had contacted BMWNA and were advised to execute a software update, which they are now in the process of doing (about 3 hour duration?? must be one big program). Apparently this was not isolated. So, if anyone else has seen this problem . . .

They also did the fluid change and additive deal on the rear diff to reduce or eliminate the "groan" on slow speed, sharp right turns. Thanks to others on this board for pointing that SB out, I probably would have never done anything about it.

All in all, I am pleased with the dealer and BMWNA response. Carry on with the prescribed drill of the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts