BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, was wondering if this is a TPM failure or if it monitors actively once the system is up… I got into my car today and started it up, no warnings except for low gas and I noticed I had a complete flat?? I have ACS Rims on and it sucks that my Pilots are flat on one side! Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
2006 models have a flat tire monitor system, based on wheel rotation speed.
2007 - 2008 models have a tire pressure monitor mounted inside the wheel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that would mean that it couldn't possibly sense that the wheel was flat from start up... but it should hopefully sense them when I'm flying down the road and it starts to soften up?

·
Registered
836 Posts
yes when one tire is spinning at different rpm than others the warning would trip. So if all your tires were slowly going flat you wouldn't know. This sucks for cold weather when all tires decrease in pressure and you're not notified

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
So that would mean that it couldn't possibly sense that the wheel was flat from start up... but it should hopefully sense them when I'm flying down the road and it starts to soften up?
Correct.
The indirect system requires that the wheels be rotating. The rotation is already measured for the ABS. A difference in rotation would indicate low pressure.

Direct pressure measurement is now required in the US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts