BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting some new RA1's this week. If any locals want my rears, let me know and I'll leave them at AGA Wed. (They're probably only good for going out and burning off) Front's are worthless (cord's showing:eek:oohhh:)

Also gonna put some T1R's on the wife's E-90. Anyone know much about them?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm running T1R or T1S on my last 5 sets of tires on my Audi and M5 and GTI

and got T1R's on my dad's GTI

i love em ;) cant go wrong

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running T1R or T1S on my last 5 sets of tires on my Audi and M5 and GTI

and got T1R's on my dad's GTI

i love em ;) cant go wrong
>>>

Wow, really? On the M5? Cool. My wife is NOT happy that I need new (expensive) tires so soon. I'm committed to this set, but in a year(?) I'll probably revisit the whole tire thing. Gotta find something *close* to the RA1's that'll last longer. I know the T1R's aren't as soft, but we'll be comparing them to some Potenza RF's, so I *think* she'll like the ride in the E-90 better. (At least until she gets a flat and says "I told you so".) I'm also looking at some Toyos (Open Country HD's) for my Tundra. Shoulda bought stock in freaking Toyo.:sad2:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
>>>

Wow, really? On the M5? Cool. My wife is NOT happy that I need new (expensive) tires so soon. I'm committed to this set, but in a year(?) I'll probably revisit the whole tire thing. Gotta find something *close* to the RA1's that'll last longer. I know the T1R's aren't as soft, but we'll be comparing them to some Potenza RF's, so I *think* she'll like the ride in the E-90 better. (At least until she gets a flat and says "I told you so".) I'm also looking at some Toyos (Open Country HD's) for my Tundra. Shoulda bought stock in freaking Toyo.:sad2:
RA1's are by far the craziest street tire for the $$

but you cant compare RA1's and T1R's

completely different tire

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
>>>

They should ride better for sure than the RE-050A RF, but the T1R is a poor "performance tire". I'm more demanding for sure, but I couldn't wait to get those things off my 330 zhp as they ruined the sweet connection that car has with the road...turned it into a gooey mess. Fortunately they wore out much faster than would be expected. From the autox community, I've heard that the R1R isn't such a hit either in the street tire classes unless it is cold and rainy. I'm done with Toyo street tires.

I'm really happy with the BFG KDW2 tires I put on the zhp afterward. They are very similar in feel to PS2s I have on the M5, and have at least as much or more dry grip imo. I just finished another Evolution Extreme school this weekend, and my 140+ runs BFG R1 race tires had cords appear half way through the school, so I went to street tires, the KDW2. They performed great, not quite like a DOT R-comp race tire, but they stuck and felt great with very little noise until you got too far over the top of the tractive force curve.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, AGA may have talked me into a different direction (for the 325). BS Potenza 760 Sports. I'm leaning towards those. Meanwhile, I'll be getting new RA1's on the Beast tomorow.

Edit: I think Tirerack has some kinda killer deal on them too.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Love my RA1s and I'm sure you will too.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love my RA1s and I'm sure you will too.
>>>

Oh, I've had some for a year. I'm just getting new ones. I'll be at AGA at 11:00am tomorow...in case anyone wants to go grab a Stone brew.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I wanted to take the rear RA 1's but no space right now...thanks:cheers:
>>>

Oh, I've had some for a year. I'm just getting new ones. I'll be at AGA at 11:00am tomorow...in case anyone wants to go grab a Stone brew.

·
Registered
723 Posts
aren't the RA1s planned to be phased out with the introduction of the R888s? Toyo says it's the same compound, but the thread design and side wall stiffness was improved. I have some of these for my track E36 but haven't run them yet as last year's RA1s are still holding up well.

It may be worth looking into the R888s instead of getting another set of RA1s.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I think the R888 and the NT-01 are very similar tires. If so, take note that the NT-01 sings very loudly from day one. After you get a few hard heat cycles on them, they are REALLY loud. These are much different tires than the RA1 (carcass design).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the R888 and the NT-01 are very similar tires. If so, take note that the NT-01 sings very loudly from day one. After you get a few hard heat cycles on them, they are REALLY loud. These are much different tires than the RA1 (carcass design).
>>>

RA1's (new) aren't exactly whisper quiet...but I'll take your word they're not as bad.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Correct.....

R888's are better track tires, but very bad street tires. They are very loud and ride much harsher than RA-1's. For the time being, RA-1's are NOT being phased out; too many users won't use R888's for street; and hoards of folks use R-comps for combo street/track. To quote a large Toyo dealer: "RA-1's will be available for the foreseeable future; but their price has gone up a little".:grrrr:

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
R888's are better track tires, but very bad street tires. They are very loud and ride much harsher than RA-1's. For the time being, RA-1's are NOT being phased out; too many users won't use R888's for street; and hoards of folks use R-comps for combo street/track. To quote a large Toyo dealer: "RA-1's will be available for the foreseeable future; but their price has gone up a little".:grrrr:
>>>

"Gone up a little". $100/ea more than last year.:grrrr:

BTW- I got about 13kmi out of them (although I probably should've replaced them 1kmi ago). Might be my last set. Wife is NOT happy that I just spent $1500 on tires that only lasted a year...especially since we're putting the "cheap tires" (Potenzas...1/2 as much $) on hers.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
For people wanting something sticky to use for street driving, you might want to check into the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 "StarSpec". I've not tried them, but I've heard good things about them. I had some Dunlop Super Sport Race R-comps that I drove on the street a lot, and I loved those tires. Too bad Dunlop discontinued them although they were a bargain back then (2005) when Tire Rack had a fire sale on them. There might be some posts on the net out there about the StarSpec tires already -- haven't looked.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Well........

>>>

"Gone up a little". $100/ea more than last year.:grrrr:

BTW- I got about 13kmi out of them (although I probably should've replaced them 1kmi ago). Might be my last set. Wife is NOT happy that I just spent $1500 on tires that only lasted a year...especially since we're putting the "cheap tires" (Potenzas...1/2 as much $) on hers.
Hey JD, I've seen you drive many times; and for you to get 10k+ miles out of a set of RA-1's is excellent!! 'Tells me you keep the pressures, balance, and alignment spot on. I got 9k+ out of my 1st set (although that included 2 full 10/10th's track days).

Trust me, the day you switch to a less expensive, 200+ wear rating, so-called high performance tire, is the day you'll be sorely disappointed. Just tell your lady the M5 tire budget is going to have to be a little more each year; and use some of your poker winnings to make up the cost difference.:hihihi:

Speaking of cost, I'm sending you a PM. Did AGA source your new RA-1's for you??

·
Registered
167 Posts
For people wanting something sticky to use for street driving, you might want to check into the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 "StarSpec". I've not tried them, but I've heard good things about them. I had some Dunlop Super Sport Race R-comps that I drove on the street a lot, and I loved those tires. Too bad Dunlop discontinued them although they were a bargain back then (2005) when Tire Rack had a fire sale on them. There might be some posts on the net out there about the StarSpec tires already -- haven't looked.

I've heard the same, and if judging by dry performance of the regular Sport Z1, they star spec should be even better. Tire Rack finally has a page up for the Star Spec - and a special going as well!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

Edit: Looks like total without shipping for 4 in stock size are $848 with a $50 rebate or an iPod shuffle. Not a bad price at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've been looking at a company called vredestein. Heard good things about them on a 350z forum. similar tire sizes close to our stock size cost a guy $608 dollars shipped from somewhere in Cali. This is from EVO magazine November, 2007 pages 121-130

1) Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 , $960.00
2) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
3) Continental ContiSportContact 3 , $984.00
4) Bridgestone Potenza REO50A , $1202.00
5) Michellin Pilot Sport PS2 , $1136.00
6) Pirelli PZero Nero , $868.00

7) Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31
8) Dunlop Sport Maxx , $858.00
9) Yokohama S. Drive , $666.00

pricing is from TireRack.com for an R129 AMG Sport model. tirerack does not carry the Vredestein brand.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've heard the same, and if judging by dry performance of the regular Sport Z1, they star spec should be even better. Tire Rack finally has a page up for the Star Spec - and a special going as well!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

Edit: Looks like total without shipping for 4 in stock size are $848 with a $50 rebate or an iPod shuffle. Not a bad price at all.
That is a bargain. I think mine were $908 with shipping. But I got them before the star spec came out (not like I would have cared). But I just got a local discount tire to match the price.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
For what it's worth I just put a set of NT-01s on my Z4 MC (245/275). So far I'm VERY impressed with them. They are as quiet as a PS2 - WAY quieter than my previous RA-1s. They seem to stick about as well, although I think I have them a tad under-inflated at the moment so I expect them to slightly out-perform the RA-1s. Ride quality is about the same as the RA-1, which I thought was good. The NT-01s come with 6/32 tread as opposed to the RA-1s 8/32 or 4/32 (unshaved or shaved). The NT-01's tread blocks are much bigger and they are supposed to be as good or better on the track at 6/32 than the RA-1 at 4/32. I will find out on 5-10/11 at Streets. Oh, and the NT-01s cost $100/tire less than the RA-1. And if you buy a set through discounttiredirect.com you'll get an $80 credit to any Speed Ventures event. I'm using my credit at Streets :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts