BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any feedback yet on these tires? I found them at Edge Racing for about $825 delivered for a set of 4 in stock sizes.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Well, I just put a set of Michelin PS2's on my V70R, and they feel awesome so far. I'm about to order a set of T1R's for my 330i ZHP from: http://www.liteswap.com/merchant2/m...Product_Code=toyoT1R&Category_Code=toyosummer . Their price on the M5 fronts is $165, but they don't have the rear listed yet. I'll drop him an e-mail and see if they have it in stock yet. I'll probably have the T1R's on the ZHP within the next couple of weeks, so I can give some feedback then.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
People with M3s are starting to use them and report they are better than the T1-S in all respects, but about 1 lb. heavier, which is inconsequential since these tires already are fairly light compared to stones like the S03s. I don't know of anyone who's used them on M5s yet, but Bob Uenaka has T1-S's on his M5 and really likes them.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I had T1-S on my M5 and for the last 15k I have run T1-R's they are better for road noise and comfort (bothers me less) and MUCH better in terms of grip feel and wear............ surprisingly so :cheers:

Very good indeed

·
Registered
368 Posts
Toyo T-1R going on the M5 on saturday morning!!

166 Quid each. Fitted/Balanced/New Valve/Including Vat.

Didn't think that was too bad for a 275/35/18.

Only problem is the speed rating which isn't as good as some other manufacturers.. I.e. Only Y rated not Z.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
dmc said:
Only problem is the speed rating which isn't as good as some other manufacturers.. I.e. Only Y rated not Z.
It's actually the other way around. Y-rated tires have the highest speed rating there is available (186mph). Z-rated tires are only quoted for being capable of greater than 149mph...how much more varies across all manufacturers. The W (168mph) and Y ratings were introduced to allow tire makers to specify more clearly what their tires are capable of. In net, the Y rating is the highest rating there is at the current time. ;)

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
dmc said:
That's a nice site although their speed rating info is a bit out of date since they don't list Y-rated speeds. It confirms what I wrote above...that Z is rated at "over 149mph". Again, just note that "how far over" 149mph is something only the tire manfacturer can answer, but in most all cases a Z-rated tire has not been certified at Y-rated speeds (186mph). When the Z rating came out in the early 80's, the thought of needing to worry about street tires at speeds much over 150mph was beyond comprehension for the most part.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Would love to hear people's thought's on these, I must admit I am getting a little tired of throwing so many $$$ at S-03's and getting <10k miles out of them. If I have to, I don't mind, but if I can avoid it, it might be nice not to get a new set of shoes every year . . . TIA, Kevin

·
10,458 Posts
i looked at the toyo web site and the 275 is 27 lbs. That initially seemed heavy to me, so i looked at tire rack. The pilot sport is 28 lbs and the SO3 is 31 lbs! This is a fairly light weight tire. Might be one to try next time around.
Mike

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I did 7k on T1-s and they gripped less !! and felt harder and harsher. The T1-R's turn in better are less harsh grip better and have lasted over 15k with - 2.3 degrees of neg !:M5launch:

·
10,458 Posts
any updates on this tire? I'm getting close to tire time, and the t1r is near the top of the list. Also considering the Ra1, but i'm curious how that will work day to day (i.e. flat spotting, rain etc). The ps2 doesn't come in a 285, but i suppose i could go 275 at all 4 corners.

any new updates, i've read mixed reviews on the m3 boards regarding the t1R.
Mike

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Has anybody looked at the contact patch of the T1R vs a PS2?

·
10,458 Posts
Jayson said:
Has anybody looked at the contact patch of the T1R vs a PS2?
My initial thought on the t1r was its size avalibility. it comes in both 275 and 285, which is what i use on the dinan wheels. The ps2 is only 275. I admit i like the look of the slightly wider rear tire... Cosmetics aside, the t1r is pretty cheap!
Mike

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
mottati said:
My initial thought on the t1r was its size avalibility. it comes in both 275 and 285, which is what i use on the dinan wheels. The ps2 is only 275. I admit i like the look of the slightly wider rear tire... Cosmetics aside, the t1r is pretty cheap!
Mike

Different tires in the same size though have different contact patches. So a 275 in either size I'm betting the ps2 has the greater contact patch. The tread design to move water removes rubber from the road. So think of a race tire no tread all contact, a wet tire has tread so less contact but great ability to move water.

·
10,458 Posts
Jayson said:
Different tires in the same size though have different contact patches. So a 275 in either size I'm betting the ps2 has the greater contact patch. The tread design to move water removes rubber from the road. So think of a race tire no tread all contact, a wet tire has tread so less contact but great ability to move water.
Good point Jayson, so a PS2 could potentially have more rubber on the road in a 275 vs a t1r or a ps1 in 285. I'll look back at tire rack and see if they have any data on 'rubber/void' ratios.
mike

edit, i don't see data about the contact patch, but looking at the pictures, there looks to be a lot more 'empty space' on the toyo vs the ps2. Interestingly, the ps2 is 3lbs lighter than the ps1!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
mottati said:
Good point Jayson, so a PS2 could potentially have more rubber on the road in a 275 vs a t1r or a ps1 in 285. I'll look back at tire rack and see if they have any data on 'rubber/void' ratios.
mike

Exactly, I belive it was the saleen s7 when they increased the hp, keep the same width increased the aspect ratio and got new tires with a an extra inch in contact patch to put down that new power, a full inch gained in the same width now thats alot and means a ton in terms of dry traction and of course on a car like that I woun't want to put it in the wet, but contact patch is somthing to look at when choosing a tire, sadly it's hard to find just what each ones contact patch is.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just put the T1-s on this weekend as my T1-r's on the rear only lasted 11k. Fronts are still good, so I only went with the rears. Cost in Atlanta at a fairly large tire retailer was about $210 per tire for the rear. The cost was going to be $300 (ouch!) per tire until I mentioned I'm friends with the owner.

I did check Tirerack and they do not carry Toyo's. Any ideas why?
TripleD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts