BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your input (those of you with experience.)

Washing my car this weekend I noticed that my front tires are SHOT. I need new tires all the way around.

Thought about PS2s (which I've had on my E34 535i), but my local tire shop is recommending I go with Toyo T1Rs. I did a search and found a few of you mentioned them, but not too many posts about them.

Hence the direct question. Should I try the Toyo T1Rs?

Tire Rack doesn't seem to carry them, so I can't find any rating/info there.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I had a set on my zhp a couple of years ago and was very disappointed in them...very squirrelly, gooey feeling, etc., a big let down from the PS1s I had on the car. Then the C&D tire test showed them in last place in stuff like autocross, dry performance, etc., and their testers complained about how gooey they felt. The good part is that they wore very quickly.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Great tyre in the rain and highway noise is almost non distinguishable. That being said, I feel the gooeyish too under hard acceleration, braking, or handling. They stick, just feels odd. I will say I have a very hard time losing grip on take off though compared to MPS1s I had before. The gooeyness seems to help on take off for grip. Great value tyre though. If you are not worried about extreeme performance driving all the time, they would work well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think I'd go with the toyo R1R. Although I don't think its avail in our sizes yet (maybe not even avail in the US at all yet? )

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have about 1K on the T1Rs I just put on. Zero complaints....but my car is a driver, never been to the track, no hard rain driving. They seem more reluctant to break lose under hard acceleration than the old PS2s did, and the aggressive tread pattern has gotten me more than one comment from Joe Schmo.

I searched the hell out of this forum before settling on these tires - what blew me away was that people would pay 3x more for PS2s, despite having zero intentions to do anything with the car other than drive it to work or to the grocery store. The price was right - I got them for 700+/- shipped to my door from onlinetires.com. They even beat tirerack by a few bucks. But consider your intentions with your car before you buy...if you take it to the track or plan on some spirited twisty driving often, PS2s can't be beat. You won't find an article anywhere that says T1Rs are better than PS2s, but I can't tell the difference while I'm out running errands.

My .02....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Although listed as UHP I would consider it closer to a touring class tire. What separates these from say PS2 or Pilot Sports is the riding comfort, all due to the soft sidewalls. And it's because of this that you get the "mushy" feeling. Overall a great everyday tire, but would consider twice if your car will see any track time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agreed with comments on the T1rs. Not the best on the track-but for the cost and even spirited driving they work fine. Quite tire and they have worn ok.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Anyone comparing fresh non-heat-cycled tires to tires with many heat cycles and then complaining about launching grip is completely forgetting what the old tires were like when they were new. Fresh PS2s will grip on launch better than fresh T1Rs, but after thousands of miles of driving and who knows how many thousands of heat cycles, any tire will be way off in grip. Just try the switch to new PS2s and you'll see how sticky they are once again when fresh (or wait until the T1R is well worn and heat cycled and see what that is like -- you're going to hate it). :)

Chuck

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have them on car and for my driving style they work great. They replaced PS1s that were on the car when I bought it. PS2s were just too much $ for what I use the car for.

Rob.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your inputs. Quite a range of responses.

Although I do track my car, it isn't that often - so that won't "drive" my decision.

I am concerned that the new PS2s are now "mercedes" tires as Earl discovered with Tire Rack.

After what we've paid for the car, you don't want to scrimp on cheap gas or tires. I don't mind paying more money for more performance. But I also don't need to pay inflated prices for a "name" if there is a viable alternative out there.

Still deciding what to do!:dunno:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final Decision

After a lot of back and forth. I've decided to spend an extra $200 and get the PS2s. Sorry for sticking with the tried and true. (Actually they are tried and true on my other Bimmer. First time on the M5.)

Thank you again for all of your inputs.
Cheers
:byee55amg

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
After a lot of back and forth. I've decided to spend an extra $200 and get the PS2s. Sorry for sticking with the tried and true. (Actually they are tried and true on my other Bimmer. First time on the M5.)

Thank you again for all of your inputs.
Cheers
:byee55amg
Just went for PS2's too. $1,300 out the door. Like you I have had two sets on my M3, but first time on the M5. They have to be better than the Dunlop 8080's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts