BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering some track tires and would like your thoughts. I like the R888s but it obviously doesn't come in our sizing.....but what are your thoughts below?

Stock Fronts - Michelin PS2 - 255 / 40 / 19
Rim Width Range: 8.5" to 10"
Section Width: 10.2"
Diameter: 27"
Revs per mile: 769

Proposed Fronts - Toyo R888 - 295 / 30 / 19
Rim Width Range: 10" to 11"
Section Width: 11.8"
Diameter: 26"
Revs per mile: 798

Stock Rears - Michelin PS2 - 285 / 35 / 19
Rim Width Range: 9.5" to 11"
Section Width: 11.4"
Diameter: 26.9"
Revs per mile: 774

Proposed Rears - Toyo R888 - 295 / 30 / 19
Rim Width Range: 10" to 11"
Section Width: 11.8"
Diameter: 26"
Revs per mile: 798

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

Looks like the best strategy is to wait. If the 295s won't fit up front, I will need to wait for 265 or 255s.

Darren, did you get any wheel rub in the rears at the autocross?

NB, I await with eagar anticipation :) Cheers.

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
R888's 265/30/R19 should be docking in the UK around the 19th June and should be in the warehouse a couple of weeks after that.

So if you want them, you should contact Toyo in the US about their availability etc.

This is like torture for me, I have the wheels and still have to wait for the tyres.

NB, thanks mate!

What sizes do you recommend for stock M5 and M6 wheels? :cheers:

Shame, I go to the track on June 17th.....

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cheers guys...

R888 265/19's will be in the warehouse in the UK today. Limited stock.

Looks like the initial supply may already be sold out. My tyre shop could not get them. I had to give the guy at toyo the name of my tyre shop, he then made sure I was getting them.

So I should have them early next week...:thumbsup:

I'm just trying to find out about future supplies of 265's, but if anyone is interested in these tyres I would suggest contacting Toyo in your country.

I do have a question though...

These tyres do seem to have a much larger contact patch than the usual PS2's etc (possibly by a min of 20mm), so:

Would a 265 rear 235 front work?

and depending on supplies of 265 how about

rear 295 front 235 ?

I will take some pics to show the width comparison, I did measure the 295 as it looks very wide on the shoulders, and it was exactly 295, the PS2's measure no where near 285 on the shoulders.

Hey mate, just an observation. I had my M6 on the track last week and it was understeering like crazy. I was all good with the staggered approach until my little trip last week.

I am thinking of running same size tires all the way around.

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What mods do you have?
I get almost no understeer at all, in fact before I had the Dinan Front Roll Control system the back was a little loose, since the Dinan roll control system it is fairly neutral, maybe tiny bit of understeer, but I can change that by adjusting the rear sway bar. (currently in the centre hole)

My set-up is:

H&R springs
H&R rear anti roll (sway) bar
Dinan Front Roll Control System
K-Mac camber plates

The camber plates did help alot, they really did improve turn-in, I'm running -2 degress camber on both sides.

Before I did anything to my car it was like driving a sledge.

I am stock suspension with PS2s. On flat corners no problems. It was at mosport with 3 downhill off camber corners.... When road camber was favorable, no problems.

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure if you want to play around with your set-up etc but the Dinan stage 2 is a good product that should considerably reduce your understeer.

I've also picked up my 265 tyres now and had them mounted.

As I mentioned in a previous post, a possibility would be to run 265/30 rear and 235/35 front on stock wheels.

Pic below is a 265 R888 next to a PS2 285, you can easily see the difference in diameter but the width of the tyre where it comes into contact with the road is very similar.

The tyres themsleves are great, but probably not ideal for daily driving as there is extra road noise, sounds like a jet, the pitch changes with speed. Grip is great so is the feedback they give. I'm very very happy with them, now just need to get to a track...

Thanks! That really helps.

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I originally had the cold pressures set to 35psi, they were not all spot on so when I put them on the car I lowered them all to 33 psi all round.

But note, this will not be what I'll be running at the track, I won't know what the cold pressures are till the day after I have tracked them.

I also did not get time to check what the pressures were after I went for a drive, but I will put them on again and go for another drive after which I will check them, to see what temp difference I get when they are warm (not hot).

Thanks...please let me know what your cold pressures are the day after.....(assuming you are adjusting by corner to get the desired hot temps)....

I have not play much with nitrogen so i am really curious to see what my cold pressures need to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.