BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Toyo R888 Tires - Can I use these?

9049 Views 36 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  NB
I am considering some track tires and would like your thoughts. I like the R888s but it obviously doesn't come in our sizing.....but what are your thoughts below?

Stock Fronts - Michelin PS2 - 255 / 40 / 19
Rim Width Range: 8.5" to 10"
Section Width: 10.2"
Diameter: 27"
Revs per mile: 769

Proposed Fronts - Toyo R888 - 295 / 30 / 19
Rim Width Range: 10" to 11"
Section Width: 11.8"
Diameter: 26"
Revs per mile: 798

Stock Rears - Michelin PS2 - 285 / 35 / 19
Rim Width Range: 9.5" to 11"
Section Width: 11.4"
Diameter: 26.9"
Revs per mile: 774

Proposed Rears - Toyo R888 - 295 / 30 / 19
Rim Width Range: 10" to 11"
Section Width: 11.8"
Diameter: 26"
Revs per mile: 798
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Seems to be quite a few threads about R compound tyres recently, I guess people are getting in the mood to go to the track...

Currently Toyo R888 do a
295/30 ZR19

I contacted them last year and was told that they will have other 19's available...

Last time I contacted them (couple of months ago) for an update they told me...

"The 305/30R19 will be in stock mid March and the 265/30R19 will be in late April."

So you could run R888's
265/30 R19 Front
295/30 ZR19 Rear

Which is my plan for the track.

I also have an order in for
Pirelli pzero corsa
295/30/19
255/40/19

They have the 295's in stock now and just waiting the 255's which are due to be made at the factory in April.

I'm also ordering some lightweight 19" wheels
9 x 19 offset 9
10 x 19 offset 31

Just hoping the offsets are spot on. I should have those in about 4 weeks. So I'll be all set this summer.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Just heard back from Toyo...

The 305/30R19 are now in stock. Unfortunately the 265/30R19 have been delayed and will not be in until end of May beginning of June. :sad2:

Looks like I'll be using the Pirelli Corsas till then...

· Registered
1,080 Posts
R888's 265/30/R19 should be docking in the UK around the 19th June and should be in the warehouse a couple of weeks after that.

So if you want them, you should contact Toyo in the US about their availability etc.

This is like torture for me, I have the wheels and still have to wait for the tyres.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
This is the first time I've got a date from them.

The tyres are manufactured in Japan and have to be shipped to the UK, so I'm guessing they have already been made and are either on their way or about to leave.

I've no idea how long it takes a cargo ship to get from Japan to the UK.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd say they are definately on their way, just found a website that shows it takes the best part of a month to get cargo by sea from Japan to the UK.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm going with the 265/30 and 295/30 but I do have 9" and 10" rims.

I believe that the minimum recomended wheel size for those tyres is 9" and 10". I'm not sure if anyone has tried those size tyres on the 8.5 and 9.5 wheels?

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Just ordered my 295's should have them fitted early next week. only another 4 weeks till I get the 265's.

At least it will give me time to wax my wheels...

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I've had my rear (295/30's) R888 mounted and I've test fitted them on my car. (fronts arrive in around 2 weeks)

What initially struck me was how wide they looked, compared to the 285 stock, the reason is that the PS2's are at their widest nearest the wheel, whereas the R888 are at their widest nearest the shoulder.

The R888 measure exactly 295 at the widest point on the shoulder. The 285 PS2's are more rounded and if anything measure very approx 250 around the shoulder and the 285 near the rim. (difficult to measure accurately as they were on my car)

A couple of points.

1./ The R888's look as though they will have much greater contact with the road than that of similar width tyre.

2./ If you go with the 295's you're going to have to be careful with any rubbing (same for fronts).

When I test fitted the wheel it looks very aggressive and looks as though it will be very close to the flange on the rear bumber/fender (if te suspension compresses enough), having said that, obviously as the suspension compresses the top edge will move in slightly so it may be fine. But I don't think this will be much of an issue anyway as the profile appears to be much lower than the size indicates, especially when compared to the PS2 285/35. The gap between the tyre and the fender appears to be quite large. I have H&R springs and my offsets on my 19" wheels are front 8mm rear 31mm

Another point is that there is litterally no rim protection on the lip itself, but the shoulders do stand proud of the wheels. (no issue to me as I'll be using them mostly on a track)

One thing has occured to me, I'm going with 295 rear / 265 front, but due to the contact patch of the tyre I wouldn't be supprised if 265 rear / 235 front would give greater contact then the PS2 in stock sizes and those sizes would be fine on the stock rims...

Just in case anyone is interested, the Treadwear is 100

I took some pics to try and show the shoulder, no rim protection and gap when fitted on the car...

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Cheers guys...

R888 265/19's will be in the warehouse in the UK today. Limited stock.

Looks like the initial supply may already be sold out. My tyre shop could not get them. I had to give the guy at toyo the name of my tyre shop, he then made sure I was getting them.

So I should have them early next week...:thumbsup:

I'm just trying to find out about future supplies of 265's, but if anyone is interested in these tyres I would suggest contacting Toyo in your country.

I do have a question though...

These tyres do seem to have a much larger contact patch than the usual PS2's etc (possibly by a min of 20mm), so:

Would a 265 rear 235 front work?

and depending on supplies of 265 how about

rear 295 front 235 ?

I will take some pics to show the width comparison, I did measure the 295 as it looks very wide on the shoulders, and it was exactly 295, the PS2's measure no where near 285 on the shoulders.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Hey mate, just an observation. I had my M6 on the track last week and it was understeering like crazy. I was all good with the staggered approach until my little trip last week.

I am thinking of running same size tires all the way around.
What mods do you have?
I get almost no understeer at all, in fact before I had the Dinan Front Roll Control system the back was a little loose, since the Dinan roll control system it is fairly neutral, maybe tiny bit of understeer, but I can change that by adjusting the rear sway bar. (currently in the centre hole)

My set-up is:

H&R springs
H&R rear anti roll (sway) bar
Dinan Front Roll Control System
K-Mac camber plates

The camber plates did help alot, they really did improve turn-in, I'm running -2 degress camber on both sides.

Before I did anything to my car it was like driving a sledge.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I am stock suspension with PS2s. On flat corners no problems. It was at mosport with 3 downhill off camber corners.... When road camber was favorable, no problems.
Not sure if you want to play around with your set-up etc but the Dinan stage 2 is a good product that should considerably reduce your understeer.

I've also picked up my 265 tyres now and had them mounted.

As I mentioned in a previous post, a possibility would be to run 265/30 rear and 235/35 front on stock wheels.

Pic below is a 265 R888 next to a PS2 285, you can easily see the difference in diameter but the width of the tyre where it comes into contact with the road is very similar.

The tyres themsleves are great, but probably not ideal for daily driving as there is extra road noise, sounds like a jet, the pitch changes with speed. Grip is great so is the feedback they give. I'm very very happy with them, now just need to get to a track...

· Registered
1,080 Posts

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I just thought I'd ask Alan Meaker at Toyo for some advice on tyre pressures and got the following very usful info.

What I would like to do is to offer some advice on tyre temperatures and pressures and how to achieve the best from our tyres when taking part in either trackdays or racing.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

The R888 has a semi race construction (very stiff) and a race tread compound. The optimum tread temperature range is between 85C and 95C measured using a probe type pyrometer, and ideally a maximum difference across the tread of 9C. The maximum hot pressure we recommend is 40psi. Camber angles up to 5 degrees are permissible but the final setting will depend on tread temperatures. It is advisable to have as much positive castor as practical as castor induces a beneficial camber change during cornering. I recommend that the tyres be put through 2 heat cycles before hard use.
<O:p
</O:p
The pressures you use will initially depend on the weight of the car, too little pressure on a heavy car can lead to over deflection of the tyre and subsequent failure.

Below are some basic settings:<O:p</O:p
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="MARGIN: auto auto auto 4.65pt; WIDTH: 378.75pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=631 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 19.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 144.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 19.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=241>VEHICLE WEIGHT<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 19.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>COLD PRESSURE<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 19.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195></O:p</B>
HOT PRESSURE

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 16.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 144.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 16.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=241>Very Light < 800kg<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 16.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>17 - 22 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 16.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>22 - 29 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 144.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=241>Light 800kg - 1000kg<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>20 - 26 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>24 - 32 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 144.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=241>Heavy 1000kg - 1400kg<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>23 - 27 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>28 - 40 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 4; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 144.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=241>Very Heavy > 1400kg<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>27 - 35 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 117pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=195>37 - 40 psi<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

As a tyre gets hotter the pressure increases, this is due to the moisture in the air. The cold pressure you set to achieve a desired hot pressure will depend on the conditions on the day i.e. ambient and track temperature, wet or dry. If the day/track is cold you will need to start with a higher cold pressure as the tyre will not get as hot therefore the pressure increase will not be so great.

Hot pressures must be balanced side to side. Once the tyres have cooled you will find that you will have a difference in pressure side to side, if you have been racing on a right hand track you will find the offside pressures will usually be higher than the nearside.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p</O:p

Changing hot inflation pressures by small amounts can be used to fine tune handling.

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="MARGIN: auto auto auto 4.65pt; WIDTH: 405.75pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=676 border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 16.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 126.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 16.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=211>Reduce Oversteer<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 279pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 16.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=465>Reduce rear pressures or increase front pressures<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 126.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=211>Increase Oversteer<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 279pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=465>Increase rear pressures or reduce front pressures<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 126.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=211>Reduce Understeer<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 279pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=465>Reduce front pressures or increase rear pressures<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 3; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 126.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=211>Increase Understeer<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 279pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-right-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" noWrap width=465>Increase front pressures or reduce rear pressures<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Achieving the required tread temperatures will depend again on the conditions on the day i.e. ambient and track temperature, wet or dry.<O:p</O:p

You often here competitors saying “My tyres started to go of towards the end of the race”, this is usually due to the tread getting to hot.<O:p</O:p

The tread temperatures are constantly changing through out a race, hotter when cornering and cooler when on the straights and cooling even more when you are slowing to come into the pits. Therefore the temps you record in the pits will be lower than those during the race. So if you record temperatures within the range given above the probability is the temps will be too high during the race.<O:p</O:p

Increasing your tyre pressures will cause your tread temperatures to increase, more pressure stiffens the tyre’s casing which results in the tread having to do more work resulting in the tread getting hotter. Lowering your pressures will cause them to decrease.<O:p</O:p

Inevitably changing one thing will affect other things, the whole set up of your car is a compromise between anything that is adjustable. <O:p</O:p

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I originally had the cold pressures set to 35psi, they were not all spot on so when I put them on the car I lowered them all to 33 psi all round.

But note, this will not be what I'll be running at the track, I won't know what the cold pressures are till the day after I have tracked them.

I also did not get time to check what the pressures were after I went for a drive, but I will put them on again and go for another drive after which I will check them, to see what temp difference I get when they are warm (not hot).

· Registered
1,080 Posts
235/35 19 and 265/30 19 are standard M3 CSL sizes. And knowing what a CSL front tire looks like after two hours I think a 235/35 19 would last about 20 minutes under an M5.

Are any of you running 255/40 19 and 285 35 19 Pirelli P Zero Corsa? How long do they hold up?
I was just running stock PS2's the Pzero Corsa's have been on back order for over a year.

I am now running
rear: 295/30/19 Toyo R888
front: 265/30/19 Toyo R888

But I was just pointing out that the actual widths of the Toyo tyres 265 looks to have a similar contact patch to the Michelin PS2 285 so could be an alternative for stock rims, so the 235 front may have a similar contact patch to the 255 stock.

Obviously the 295 265 widths are too wide for the stock rims and even if you were going to run them you will have to have the correct offsets as they are very wide on the shoulders, but they fit my car perfectly and can't wait to get on a track...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.