BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering some track tires and would like your thoughts. I like the R888s but it obviously doesn't come in our sizing.....but what are your thoughts below?

Stock Fronts - Michelin PS2 - 255 / 40 / 19
Rim Width Range: 8.5" to 10"
Section Width: 10.2"
Diameter: 27"
Revs per mile: 769

Proposed Fronts - Toyo R888 - 295 / 30 / 19
Rim Width Range: 10" to 11"
Section Width: 11.8"
Diameter: 26"
Revs per mile: 798

Stock Rears - Michelin PS2 - 285 / 35 / 19
Rim Width Range: 9.5" to 11"
Section Width: 11.4"
Diameter: 26.9"
Revs per mile: 774

Proposed Rears - Toyo R888 - 295 / 30 / 19
Rim Width Range: 10" to 11"
Section Width: 11.8"
Diameter: 26"
Revs per mile: 798

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
TBone,

I just happened to have a set of R888's that I used for my recent drag strip fun last weekend. I put them on the rear in the 295/30/19 config on my stock M5 rims.

The tires just barely fit on the rims (almost too much width for the rim) and they tuck perfectly in the fender well with almost no room to spare.

I think they helped my 60' times, but I still need practice in heating them up to proper operating temperature. Their optimal operating temp is 200 degrees F according to a review I watched on these tires.

I wouldn't use them for anything other than autocross or the drag strip.

I drove 60 miles to the drag strip and 60 miles back home on them with no problems whatsoever. I also could not get a 1st->2nd or a 2nd->3rd gear scratch on the street with these so I know they have more grip when warmed up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I highly doubt a 295 width will fit in the front on this car. While my 275 wide tires fit in the wheel well, I wouldn't be surprised if they are just barely clearing the spring/shock on the inside.

I know someone here runs 265/35/19 (or maybe it was 265/30) for track days and suggested that you be a good driver before you go to these tires. They add a good amount of traction, but it can get away from you very quickly.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Seems to be quite a few threads about R compound tyres recently, I guess people are getting in the mood to go to the track...

Currently Toyo R888 do a
295/30 ZR19

I contacted them last year and was told that they will have other 19's available...

Last time I contacted them (couple of months ago) for an update they told me...

"The 305/30R19 will be in stock mid March and the 265/30R19 will be in late April."

So you could run R888's
265/30 R19 Front
295/30 ZR19 Rear

Which is my plan for the track.

I also have an order in for
Pirelli pzero corsa
295/30/19
255/40/19

They have the 295's in stock now and just waiting the 255's which are due to be made at the factory in April.

I'm also ordering some lightweight 19" wheels
9 x 19 offset 9
10 x 19 offset 31

Just hoping the offsets are spot on. I should have those in about 4 weeks. So I'll be all set this summer.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've just requested another update from Toyo, I'll let you know when I hear back.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use these tires for my M3 at the track. Pretty good R tire. Even decent in the water. I have about 4 full track days on them and they are holding up nicely.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just heard back from Toyo...

The 305/30R19 are now in stock. Unfortunately the 265/30R19 have been delayed and will not be in until end of May beginning of June. :sad2:

Looks like I'll be using the Pirelli Corsas till then...

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

Looks like the best strategy is to wait. If the 295s won't fit up front, I will need to wait for 265 or 255s.

Darren, did you get any wheel rub in the rears at the autocross?

NB, I await with eagar anticipation :) Cheers.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks guys!

Looks like the best strategy is to wait. If the 295s won't fit up front, I will need to wait for 265 or 255s.

Darren, did you get any wheel rub in the rears at the autocross?

NB, I await with eagar anticipation :) Cheers.

No rubbing when I used the stock M5 wheels on the rear. I did not try these tires on my front wheels.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
R888's 265/30/R19 should be docking in the UK around the 19th June and should be in the warehouse a couple of weeks after that.

So if you want them, you should contact Toyo in the US about their availability etc.

This is like torture for me, I have the wheels and still have to wait for the tyres.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
You have to continusouly call Toyo to see if the new sizes are available as posted above. They are really making a huge commitment to sports car racing and are constantly updating their size offerings. Please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This is the first time I've got a date from them.

The tyres are manufactured in Japan and have to be shipped to the UK, so I'm guessing they have already been made and are either on their way or about to leave.

I've no idea how long it takes a cargo ship to get from Japan to the UK.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd say they are definately on their way, just found a website that shows it takes the best part of a month to get cargo by sea from Japan to the UK.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
TBone,

I just happened to have a set of R888's that I used for my recent drag strip fun last weekend. I put them on the rear in the 295/30/19 config on my stock M5 rims.

The tires just barely fit on the rims (almost too much width for the rim) and they tuck perfectly in the fender well with almost no room to spare.

I think they helped my 60' times, but I still need practice in heating them up to proper operating temperature. Their optimal operating temp is 200 degrees F according to a review I watched on these tires.

I wouldn't use them for anything other than autocross or the drag strip.

I drove 60 miles to the drag strip and 60 miles back home on them with no problems whatsoever. I also could not get a 1st->2nd or a 2nd->3rd gear scratch on the street with these so I know they have more grip when warmed up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Darren

Darren,

Where did you get your tires from? I called two different stores (Bell Tire and Discount Tire) and they are not able to get these tires for me. They even said that they were not available anywhere, period.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Ummm....

Darren,

Where did you get your tires from? I called two different stores (Bell Tire and Discount Tire) and they are not able to get these tires for me. They even said that they were not available anywhere, period.

Thanks
Try these guys: http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/bwttires.php

Many folks on this Board have bought from them, including a successful group buy last year. They supply numerous race teams. They'll drop ship tires anywhere in U.S. If anybody can get them, they can. Good luck!! :)

Reactions: 6speed

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
R888's 265/30/R19 should be docking in the UK around the 19th June and should be in the warehouse a couple of weeks after that.

So if you want them, you should contact Toyo in the US about their availability etc.

This is like torture for me, I have the wheels and still have to wait for the tyres.

NB, thanks mate!

What sizes do you recommend for stock M5 and M6 wheels? :cheers:

Shame, I go to the track on June 17th.....

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
T Bone.....

Try these guys: http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/bwttires.php

Many folks on this Board have bought from them, including a successful group buy last year. They supply numerous race teams. They'll drop ship tires anywhere in U.S. If anybody can get them, they can. Good luck!! :)
You might try them, too. I said U.S.; but they may very well ship to Canada, for all I know.

Reactions: T Bone

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm going with the 265/30 and 295/30 but I do have 9" and 10" rims.

I believe that the minimum recomended wheel size for those tyres is 9" and 10". I'm not sure if anyone has tried those size tyres on the 8.5 and 9.5 wheels?

Reactions: T Bone

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just ordered my 295's should have them fitted early next week. only another 4 weeks till I get the 265's.

At least it will give me time to wax my wheels...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've had my rear (295/30's) R888 mounted and I've test fitted them on my car. (fronts arrive in around 2 weeks)

What initially struck me was how wide they looked, compared to the 285 stock, the reason is that the PS2's are at their widest nearest the wheel, whereas the R888 are at their widest nearest the shoulder.

The R888 measure exactly 295 at the widest point on the shoulder. The 285 PS2's are more rounded and if anything measure very approx 250 around the shoulder and the 285 near the rim. (difficult to measure accurately as they were on my car)

A couple of points.

1./ The R888's look as though they will have much greater contact with the road than that of similar width tyre.

2./ If you go with the 295's you're going to have to be careful with any rubbing (same for fronts).

When I test fitted the wheel it looks very aggressive and looks as though it will be very close to the flange on the rear bumber/fender (if te suspension compresses enough), having said that, obviously as the suspension compresses the top edge will move in slightly so it may be fine. But I don't think this will be much of an issue anyway as the profile appears to be much lower than the size indicates, especially when compared to the PS2 285/35. The gap between the tyre and the fender appears to be quite large. I have H&R springs and my offsets on my 19" wheels are front 8mm rear 31mm

Another point is that there is litterally no rim protection on the lip itself, but the shoulders do stand proud of the wheels. (no issue to me as I'll be using them mostly on a track)

One thing has occured to me, I'm going with 295 rear / 265 front, but due to the contact patch of the tyre I wouldn't be supprised if 265 rear / 235 front would give greater contact then the PS2 in stock sizes and those sizes would be fine on the stock rims...

Just in case anyone is interested, the Treadwear is 100

I took some pics to try and show the shoulder, no rim protection and gap when fitted on the car...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts