BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at possibly towing my M5 from Tx to FL. I was thinking about using the uhaul auto transport trailer.

- Any tips?
- Are the provided tire tie downs sufficient? I have extra tie down straps that I will probably use, but only have 2 and will need to get more if the supplied ones are not sufficient.
- Good hardpoints on the car for tie down?
- Do you drive the car all the way up to the stops as in the picture? Basically I want to know where to place the M5 on the trailer for proper axle load on the trailer
- Additional shoring needed to get the car on the trailer or are the provided ramps sufficient?
- Any other trailer rentals that I should look at other than uhaul?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I can help with placement a bit. What you want is the cars weight mainly taken by the trailer, but the weight must also be forward to give you tongue weight. My guess if you move it all the way forward you will have too much tongue weight. The best way to judge tongue weight is by looking at the compression of the rear suspension. There should be some compression, but not squatted. My sailboat is about 4000# on the trailer and has about 100-200# tongue weight. By hand, I can pick it up and put it on the ball. It is work though.

Technically this is probably not enough but the combo is engineered as a package and is not adjustable. The trailer has hydraulic brakes that work off of the trailer hitch, your pic looks the same, but it is hard to tell.

If the tongue weight is not enough likely the trailer will wiggle, so then you just move the car forward a bit. If you have to push the tongue down you are in the danger zone so err on the side of too much rather than not enough.

All that said, it depends also on your tow vehicle and the draw bar. An empty pickup will like more tongue weight, but a loaded Uhaul van will want the minimum. There is not much more to it, it is a judgement call. It is very important so I would suggest you google tongue weight and read as much as you want. Here are a couple of links to get you started.
HowStuffWorks "How Tongue Weight Works"
HowStuffWorks "What is tongue weight?"

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
this video will show you everything you need to know.

U-Haul: Tips: How to load your vehicle onto a U-Haul car hauler

I have used them in the past and there is no adjustment on loading the vehicle, you drive it to the front and strap it down.

found this on a forum:
n reply to irish44j: You need to tow with the wheels all the way up to the stops. The liability associated with a wreck and not doing it properly would be disastrous if there was a failure (even if not directly related to your driving).

Not sure what the air dam height is on the e30, but on my e39 I had to put 3x 3/4" pieces of plywood under the front tires so it would clear the front tire stop on the uhaul car carrier (4-6 inches). Oh, and the fenders come off easily on the trailer so you can open your door when the car is all the way up.

On my e39 I had to load it on a hill so it would lessen the angle that the ramps made in order to not let anything drag on the ramps/trailer while loading. You can do this or get some 2x6 pieces to put under the bottom of the ramps.

These trailers are severely overbuilt, and do a great job (assuming the tires are in good shape).

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Ive used the same trailer to tow my E39 525i. Just load up M5 nice and easy. Make sure M5 is in gear and handbrake pulled to full for safety. Strap carefully on front wheels.

You should be okay and follow the instruction on loading from uhaul. THe M5 is pretty close to 50/50 weight distribution which helps a bit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've towed my M5 across the country twice using this method. I rented my truck and trailer combination from Budget (was a bit cheaper than Uhaul). If you're getting a gas powered truck, it's going to be fun, that son of a ***** will just work its *** off hauling the car and whatever else is in the truck. The second time I towed it with a Diesel 24' truck, that was fun. It can handle the weight, but boy did I feel like I was driving a semi.

As for the car on the trailer, like others have already posted, get the M5 as close to the front as possible. I had to also put wood down under the front tires to avoid slamming into the wheel stops in the front (Which are easily removed with 3 bolts on each side, btw). The straps in the front go over the tires and provide a pretty damn good amount of support. There are also chains that at the rear that I wrapped around my lower control arms as a just in case type situation. Car in gear and Ebrake up, of course.

Well I thought I had a picture of it handy, but it must be saved somewhere deep. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have towed mine across the country behind a 26 ft truck three times now. I used two 2x10 boards to place under the front wheels to give a little more height and clearance on the front so you can place the wheels against the chocks. It also gives more clearance for all those bumps and roadkill that you'll inevitably run across.

Additionally, I used four DoT approved ratchet straps to hold the vehicle in place. After the first 100 miles or so, you'll want to check all of the straps but after that, I just checked it at each fill up. Good luck!

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I borrowed a truck from my friend (I sold him my truck). My hemi pulled like it was nothing back there. I believe it was close to 5500-6000 lbs combined from towing perspective. On top of that, I had a 3.55 gear ratio which it isn't optimal for towing. If you are towing from TX to FL, Gas V8 truck should be ok, but it should be big motor like 5.7 hemi, 5.4l triton, etc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I forgot to mention that I had to use three foot long 2x10's just to get the car onto the trailer but I am not on a stock suspension so you might be ok.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Make sure M5 is in gear and handbrake pulled to full for safety.
Do NOT put the car in gear, handbrake is fine.

Make sure you use four straps, one at each corner.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Another note, don't lock the doors because it will arm the alarm. Last thing you need is a car alarm going off on you while you're in motion.

Ask me how I know!

Reactions: ///DeafM5

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Do NOT put the car in gear, handbrake is fine.

Make sure you use four straps, one at each corner.
Why not put in gear? All I know handbrake ins't strong to hold the car? :confused:

Imagine if the M5 had an steptronic, P is a literally in first gear in parked kind of thing?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why not put in gear? All I know handbrake ins't strong to hold the car? :confused:

Imagine if the M5 had an steptronic, P is a literally in first gear in parked kind of thing?
You shouldn't need the handbrake but it should be 'strong' enough to keep the car from rolling ever, even on the side of a hill unless you don't engage it all the way.

Leaving it in first gear connects the transmission to the engine and when towing, the car makes little back and forth movements no matter how hard you strap it down. These movements in turn get transmitted to the engine, moving internals forwards and backwards. I don't like my transmission and engine receiving this kind of treatment.

In reality, you should be able to strap down a car without ever needing to use the handbrake or putting it in gear.

I can't speak to transmissions like the steptronic. But would you leave in P if you were going to tow it with a tow dolly? If it does engage first gear, you would need a new engine. I imagine there is a way to lock it into N.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Another note, don't lock the doors because it will arm the alarm. Last thing you need is a car alarm going off on you while you're in motion.

Ask me how I know!
I completely forgot about that. I had my 525i going off as soon as I pulled out of the lot where I picked the car up.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I towed an 01 M5 with my 96 Tahoe awhile ago, parked it on the trailer exactly as the Jeep is pictured above. Used the tire straps, tighten them firmly and there should be no problem. Check them as Remi21 described above. Do not tighten anything to the lower control arms but you can put the safety chain around them.

I pulled the car forward basically right up to where the tire straps were and then tightened everything down and put the rear chain through the subframe.

I tow a lot of cars and never put the car in gear or with the handbrake on. The straps should serve that purpose, and if they aren't there is a bigger issue that using the handbrake wont solve.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies. This is exactly what I was looking for. :cheers:

To answer the tow vehicle questions, it will be a Touareg Tdi. I've towed other double axle trailers with it and didn't even notice that I was towing anything. M5 with trailer will probably be heavier than anything that I have towed before, but I think it should be fine. I have the factory OEM towing package on the Touareg. No air suspension though. :Thumbdown:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts