BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I could really could appreciate some insight here.

My M5 wouldn’t shift gears while driving on the freeway so I pulled over and called a tow. When the tow came with a flatbed it was still stuck in 7th but the driver said it was fine and proceeded to pull the car onto the bed with the chain. The car made small popping sounds on the way up.

Car rolled down the ramp with little resistance when it was time to drop it off.

Damages? Is the tow company liable? Is my insurance liable via roadside assistance?

I made it clear to my insurance when they called in a tow about how I was stuck in gear, and assured they would bring a roller, etc.

The car was shifting fine until I started shifting hard in S6 and then it gave the red cog; it was still delivering power, just stuck in 7th.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Seems the gears are toast. It should come down as easily as it went up. I’ve suggested before having them wheel jacks in the trunk as a precaution and never leave it in P.

If you’re lucky, You’ll be on the hook for the deductible and likely the cost of repair will be total the vehicle So they will pay you out like 7k, what ever they can find as value.

if you’re unlucky they will say that it was pre-existing damage as evidenced by you pulling over and calling for a tow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that. Seems the gears are toast. It should come down as easily as it went up. I’ve suggested before having them wheel jacks in the trunk as a precaution and never leave it in P.

If you’re lucky, You’ll be on the hook for the deductible and likely the cost of repair will be total the vehicle So they will pay you out like 7k, what ever they can find as value.

if you’re unlucky they will say that it was pre-existing damage as evidenced by you pulling over and calling for a tow.
Isn’t this negligence on the tow company’s part? If so, wouldn’t they be responsible for repairs? It would be hard them to claim it was pre existing damage since the damage would be specific to how the vehicle was towed?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just went through this as well. When my trans crapped out on the track they had to drag me out of the way. You could tell the engine was turning over while they were dragging it, maybe 50ft. When the tow driver picked up the car at the end of the day he pulled as little as possible but it still had the same result, lurching as the engine turned over. The finial tow was on a dolly to no need to move the rear wheels.

I would get hooked up to the SMG with INPA or ISTA and see if you can get it working. I doubt they did any damage.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Isn’t this negligence on the tow company’s part? If so, wouldn’t they be responsible for repairs? It would be hard them to claim it was pre existing damage since the damage would be specific to how the vehicle was towed?
About 12 yrs ago my roadster (Not M5) was towed once from work because I was on a business trip and they were repaving the parking lot. They didn’t tell any of us ahead of time. The front chin was damaged from the tow (non flat bed!) It was clearly the towing company. Have you ever tried getting a towing company to admit responsibility???? I have. Let me know how it goes. It’s easier to replace rod bearings with one hand. You’d have to have your insurance go after them cause that’s why they have lawyers, to subrogate claims.

in a court (small claims or otherwise) the burden is on YOU to prove negligence to win. What proof do you have it was him? If you had a video that would help big time, but you probably don’t. Did you record your call with the dispatch? Probably not.

Hopefully it’s nothing broken but those noises you described don’t seem like engine compression noises.

I’m just trying to illustrate what you may be up against, and why it makes sense to have them rolly wheel jacks and/or a cable and Laptop With ISTA in the car always with you in an SMG. Hell even an Uber ride (and back) will be worth it to harbor freight to get rolly jacks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
There is a big warning for SMG owners in regards to the motor being turned backwards by leaving it in gear and a tow company dragging the car backwards. It ruins the 2500.00 vanos pump. I've even heard of a car being bumped backwards while being parked and the pump was gone. I always leave mine in neutral for this reason. If being put on a tow truck, use dollies on the back wheels with the parking brake on.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I guess in my case I was lucky, time will tell? The car rolled backwards maybe 12" off the flatbed. The second truck used dollies so the car never moved.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There is a big warning for SMG owners in regards to the motor being turned backwards by leaving it in gear and a tow company dragging the car backwards. It ruins the 2500.00 vanos pump. I've even heard of a car being bumped backwards while being parked and the pump was gone. I always leave mine in neutral for this reason. If being put on a tow truck, use dollies on the back wheels with the parking brake on.
Yes, always tow by lifting the rear wheels off the ground and always leave the SMG in 'N'. Learned that the hard way when my SMG TCU died and had to tow to dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

Just to update the SMG pump finally kicked on this morning and I was able to bring it in my garage; seems like everything is normal.

Anyone know what I should start looking at in terms of diagnoses? I got the red cog while shifting hard in S6 and the smg pump would not turn on again when I pulled over hence the tow. The pump kicked on again this morning and sounds pretty good?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

Just to update the SMG pump finally kicked on this morning and I was able to bring it in my garage; seems like everything is normal.

Anyone know what I should start looking at in terms of diagnoses? I got the red cog while shifting hard in S6 and the smg pump would not turn on again when I pulled over hence the tow. The pump kicked on again this morning and sounds pretty good?
I also forgot to add I had similar issues 6 months ago, but it went away with a new smg pump relay. Not sure if that was bandaid solution to a bigger problem?

I’m learning as I go lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Maybe you’re fine, just realize that if you do indeed have vanos damage, like fractured parts as discussed in the link, running the engine is not something you should do. That’s a big dilemma since your car really might be fine and the popping noises you heard was related to the flatbed. You’ll never know if your vanos pump is ok unless you take it out, but that’s so much work for a failure that you don’t know you have.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I will qualify the following statement with I have no impirical science to back me up, but...
I suspect that using S6 leads to premature failures.
OK... I said it... flame on!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have never been lead astray by gut feelings.

If bmw could make the smg shift any faster there would be an s7.

My experience of all things mechanical is , more stuff goes wrong when use is at 100% of capabilities

Might make sense if going for a one time moon shot, but iffy when 12 year old mechanicals involved on a repeated basis.

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is my point of view with an old complex control system, wait until it fails more. Based on the cost and labor involved my SMG is going to have to crap out permanently before I throw thousands at it. The accumulator is close to a grand and dead simple, the motor is almost a grand and dead simple. The relay is cheap but critical. In my experience running a system like this with some sort of software parameter that is being violated to disable it you may never know if it is fixed.

You and I both love the shift in S6 but we must accept that failures may result. Race teams like F1 spend millions and run at the edge with entire crews watching the data and still have failures. But this gives me a great idea! Run a tablet with INPA mounted where the I-drive is and you could actively what the SMG or anything else while driving. Or look out the windshield, punch it and hope for the best.

If you have not done the motor referb or replacement and an oil change with seal it is a good PM. Run the adaptations and then wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At the end of the day it’s just a car, have to keep an eye on how much you invest in it.

Speaking of which, I’ve tried finding any issues with the SMG through Ista and couldn’t find anything. Basically, the system works and and the pump pressurizes quickly and strongly in one moment, and randomly becomes weak and sounds like it’s barely turning in the next. Any ideas? It’s like for every 50 successful pressurizations there’s one hiccup.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts