BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've seen a BMW towbar fitted to an e34. The towball part was detachable and stowed in the boot. With this removed a cover fitted into the rear bumper so it was not apparent the car had a towbar fitted. Is it possible to fit this BMW tow bar to my M5?

I'd rather pay the extra and go that route if it means I don't have an ugly towbar stuck on the back of my M5 permanently.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ste

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
ste said:
Hello all. I've seen a BMW towbar fitted to an e34. The towball part was detachable and stowed in the boot. With this removed a cover fitted into the rear bumper so it was not apparent the car had a towbar fitted. Is it possible to fit this BMW tow bar to my M5?

I'd rather pay the extra and go that route if it means I don't have an ugly towbar stuck on the back of my M5 permanently.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ste
Yes, but you also need the towing bumper as it has a cut-out for the tow-bar!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Long time no speak ste... so you bought an M5 eh? Excellent choice!! :wroom:

One of the guys on here - AndyE if I had to guess - got the towbar cutout for his M5. If you search the board you should find his posts about it.

What do you think of the M5 by the way?

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great stuff fellas cheers - I'll have a look on the ETK when I get back home this weekend and see which parts I need.

Bryn - nice to speak again mate. I did a brief post on evo about my initial thoughts. Thread entitled 'FAO straight 6 drivers' or similar.

I only bought the M5 last Thursday and I've been working away all week so haven't had a huge change to drive it. I drove it the 300 or so miles home and initial impressions are pleasing. I'm really pleasantly surprised by the fuel consumption. I was expecting around 20 but actually returned almost 30 on the trip back, although the motorway was busy so I had to take it relatively easy. The brief drive I've had on a good A road showed 3 figures come up very easily betwen bends and restraint will be required if I'm going to keep my licence clean. The steering's a bit vague and fluffy around the straight ahead but one you've got some lock on it tightens up and you can feel the car working for you. I guess the steering box needs adjusting/swapping.The standard suspension is perfect for UK roads I'd say. It's just firm enough which is rare for factory stuff. Best part about the car is the noise. Mine's had the catastrophic convertors binned and a full stainless system fitted. Sounds glorious.

The paint's a bit tired so it's booked in for a full repaint. I'm getting the wheels refurbed with the dish polished. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Looking forward to getting home and taking it for a drive tonight. :flag:

·
Registered
337 Posts
You can cutout the panel from the rear bumper, it has the outline already marked on it so that is easy. You will need the replacement panel, see AndyE topic for that. If you want the BMW towbar then you will need to be sitting down when you ask the dealer for the price.

It is all in the ETK.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ste,

I was watching the car you bought on ebay, but obviously didn't realise it was you that won it. It was a very good deal indeed :thumbsup:
Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far... I've had mine 3 and half years now and loved every minute (well apart from the few where I've been given the service bills :confused3 ).

I had so nearly finished the Sport for this summer, but then I got sidetracked by the smashed Integrale Evo I bought, and the 89 325 SE that I've turned in to a track day slag. Looks like it'll be summer 2005 now which brings the total project time to just over 4 years ouich !!

Let us know how you get on with your 'M'.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 years!?

I've just done a search for AndyE's post. That's exactly what I was after chaps, thanks. Hadn't noticed the search facility before.

I don't like the £500+ price though. I know some other towbar manufacturers now make towbars with removable towballs. I 'll do some measuring and see if a more generic towbar will line up with the BMW cutout. That way I'll just have to buy the flap from BMW.

If I'm REALLY lucky, it'll already have a towbar sat behind the bumper like AndyE had.. I might win the lottery this weekend too...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Firstclass & priced around 200 euro ( memory ..!? ) :confused:

bosal ; Type : 901 1573AK4
AK-code : 99 400-1573

BMW 1 x insert : 51.12.1.946.288
2 x clips : 51.12.1.946.389

JAEGER 13 pin ; art.nr : 21400004J

:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
As I've already been mentioned in this thread, thought I'd say hello.

Hello.

My 95 M5 has a Westfalia towbar and after cutting the hole in the bumper, the flap is only £12.

The towbars are certainly expensive though, and I wouldn't even consider one that's not detachable...

I can photograph anything for reference if necessary.

Cheers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks I'd already spotted that and I'm planning to buy it.

Some other forums I use have a section where you can list eBay items you're persuing to prevent members bumping the price up for each other... obviously no such system here but I'd appreciate nobody else bidding. :1:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
ste said:
Thanks I'd already spotted that and I'm planning to buy it.

Some other forums I use have a section where you can list eBay items you're persuing to prevent members bumping the price up for each other... obviously no such system here but I'd appreciate nobody else bidding. :1:
I though the 5's with SLS needed a different set-up?

But having checked, the part numbers listed are the same for everything from the 520 to the M5!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ste,

The current winner is Jimmy of this forum.

He's a great bloke and an eBay genius, so perhaps drop him an email to discuss!

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah b*gger, didn't cross my mind someone on here was the high bidder.

I've 'Auction Snipered' it too... best email Jimmy, no point us both knocking the price way up for the other.

Cheers Andy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ste,
YHM, not a problem, good luck and happy christmas!! :2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts