BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys - sacrilege I know but I am getting rid of my Range Rover as a boat puller and originally was going to get a newer one but the idea has now popped into my head about getting an e61 m5 and having a towbar installed - is this possible? I am aware that having two v10s would be twice the risk of everything but twice the fun 馃檪

Registered
How heavy is the boat/trailer combo and what's the tongue load?

Your clutch will hate you and honestly the only thing back there is the bumper supports not sure how much load they could actually take. You'd have to do some crazy fabbing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Boat trailer combo is about 1.5tons - would the standard e61 bar not fit then due to the wheel well or exhausts?

Registered
Massive section of code in mss65's torque manager relating to trailer module detection and towing. Mss65 and SMG were designed to handle it. Do it. ;)

Registered
I've got one on mine, love it. The main bar detaches and fits in an existing hole in the tool tray under the boot floor, it's lockable etc.
The electrics fold up and there is a little flap that goes over the lower bar in the bumper.

Usually just use it for towing my bike on a trailer, but can also be used to take rubbish to the tip, or tow cars.

When you connect the trailer lights the car senses this and it alters the way the SMG works and I believe also the DSC unit to better cope with towing a load. You can tell as it will change down a gear sooner and block you from changing up too soon and labouring the engine. The light module will also let you know if any trailer bulbs are out etc.

(Apologies for the Instagram filters...)

Registered
I know it seems sacrilegious but I almost think I want this too. I would love to be able to tow a motorcycle.

Registered
I saw this on the track from an e46 m3. The guy towed his trailer of tires and stuff. Had to cut out his rear bumper a little square. It's a European only thing apparently for the oem option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
simonnim
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing